Thread: Bear Dps

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bear Dps

So im curious as to wich build would provide better dps. A all stam build wich would allow me to benifit from the increased ap from vengence or a all out agi build( lower ap from vengence but higher crit ). As of right now my healers like healing my build with all agi (aslong as i am reforged to dodge instead of mastery, they thought i was tanking naked when i tryed the mastery route). Its looking like most of these heroic fights help the raid having a high dps tank much like firelands was. I can usually rank in the 80-90% for WoL but would like to pull a little more dps out, and was curious if anyone has crunched the numbers before i spend alot of gold to overhaul it. I've heard the back and fourth of the survivabilty of stam vs. agi but i wana know wich gives bigger dps #'s

reforge to expertise and gem agi. Get agi/crit damage meta.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

As Revolutions said, if you want to maximize dps with only losing a minimal amount of mitigation, aim to cap hit and soft cap exp. It's hard to say exactly what you can do without an armory link cause ilevel is important when doing this kind of thing. I've been tanking Heroic DS since week two and stopped reforging dodge week 3 for more dps. I sit at around 38% dodge fully unbuffed not in bear form and only around 15 mastery. All my reforgings now go towards hit/exp and then crit.

It is important to play to your healers though. If you reforge out of the best mitigation and they can't keep you, put some back on. As your gear (and your healers' gear improves, you can begin to take off the dodge and go towards more dps stats. And remember mastery for bears is like dodge in that it offers no additional dps. Exp/hit and then crit increase uptime on savage defense and so you shouldn't see much a difference in the dmg you take.

LOL it wont let me link armorey cause i havnt posted enough to do that yet, but im sitting at a 399 item lvl exp capped with 7% hit. Tks for the replys i was thinking the agi route would be the best route for dps but have been tempted by the stam/ vengence

I've moved onto feral DPS in the last month but the 2 weeks after the new year whilst i was still tanking i was fully reforged to Mastery, 26 expertise and 6% hit. I had marginally shy of 40% dodge (raid buffed) and 21 mastery? I don't know how you can be raiding and i presume gathering HC gear? And still only have 15 mastery? I think i had more than that when i started in HC dungeons?

Capped hit, soft cap Exp and mastery will provide a lot more dps than straight stamina, i doubt there's much between them on a 1 tank stand still fight like patchwork, actually in that situation Stamina may even pull ahead, but for the majority of fights that require you to spend as little as 20% of the time in cat form then the additional stamina does nothing for your dps?

And you should really attempt the mastery build again with your healers, i bet if you switched now and didn't tell them then they wouldn't even notice the difference? I lost less than 2.5% dodge in favour of soft capping exp, bringing hit to 6% and gaining about 3 mastery in the process.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmond View Post

Capped hit, soft cap Exp and mastery will provide a lot more dps
    He's asking about Bear DPS, not bearcat DPS. Crit instead of mastery would benefit BEAR dps more than mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    He's asking about Bear DPS, not bearcat DPS. Crit instead of mastery would benefit BEAR dps more than mastery.
    Well that's obvious, but as he stated in his post that he's raiding HC content? I'll put money on him not being in bear form more than 60% of any of the fights in DS which means the DPS as a whole for him would be better by capping hit and Exp whilst maintaining a decent level of Mastery. If a piece of gear had Mastery and Crit on it then i'd leave it alone, Mastery + anything else and i'd refroge the anything else. Crit + anything else and i'd reforge the anything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmond View Post
    Well that's obvious, but as he stated in his post that he's raiding HC content? I'll put money on him not being in bear form more than 60% of any of the fights in DS which means the DPS as a whole for him would be better by capping hit and Exp whilst maintaining a decent level of Mastery. If a piece of gear had Mastery and Crit on it then i'd leave it alone, Mastery + anything else and i'd refroge the anything else. Crit + anything else and i'd reforge the anything else.
    Not sure if your implying that mastery is the best stat for cats, or if your just saying that mastery is good for dps in cat while still being good survival in bear form, because mastery wont always do the most for cat form, as their secondary stat changes more depending on how you dps and fight mechanics than anything else.

But else the aboves are right, stack agi, get the hit and specialy the expertise cap (soft), and then either go crit, or if you spend a lot of time in cat form, you can do as Richmond said, and go mastery for staying tanking in bear, but being able to pull a lot of dps in cat.
    (the crit is ca as good as the mastery in cat form btw)

Deleted
    In terms of agi vs stam for dps as a bear, agi wins by a country mile, not to mention the fact that stam is useless whenever you have to go cat. In terms of reforges, expertise (under softcap)> hit=expertise(over softcap)>crit> haste>mastery

strictly for dps mind you, as mastery does 0 for dps, whilst haste isn't great, but at least it does something.

Not going to comment on how your survivability will be like this, but if what you care about it dps, then start there and tweak as appropriate.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buraan View Post

strictly for dps mind you, as mastery does 0 for dps, whilst haste isn't great, but at least it does something.
    Again, in this example Crit would do more for bear DPS and still help towards mitigation.

hit=expertise(over softcap)>
    Hit is better than Expertise after the softcap since it affects FFF and Expertise doesn't. FFF is a higher damage filler than Lacerate is.

Honestly just go get Mew and play around with it for maximizing Bear DPS: http://theincbear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be like this bear.

Stack AGI gems, use AGI/crit meta, and make sure to eat AGI food instead of dodge food. Attempt to go for Crit/mastery leather pieces. If you want more expertise/hit, reforge the mastery.

Druid and DKs have such an easy time gearing compared to warriors and paladins because of their mastery. They get rewarded for doing dps, while warrior and paladins get rewarded for gimping their dps.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Well for heroic content there isnt many times u go bear/cat cause 5/8 bosses are all single tanked. Ultra is possible but with all the fading lights and 4 peice i would consider it stupid to try to pull that cause i pop that every time its off cd, loot ship only at the end is bear cat viable but with the debuffs short time it would be marginal, but spine is a diff story great bearcat fight. So i see no point in reforging bearcat for just one fight. Thats why im looking to max. the bear dps.

My spreadsheet (link in sig) also works out relative stat values for bear DPS.
    Also, Agility gives ~50% more AP per stat point than Stamina (assuming vengeance capped). Of course, you get 50% more Stamina per item budget, so practically Agility and Stamina gives exactly the same amount of AP. Agility would of course be better because it increases your crit% too.

Deleted
    Basicly you just need one thing to do nice bear dmg, Nise cup of hot mangle:

Cant read a druid thread without thinking about alamo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post

O_O

I think this post is taking a wrong turn, tho i most say its an awesome picture !

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol awesome picture ;p...
    i find hardly any difference when i play around with agi or stam builds in high end gear, but i feel that stam build is better than agi for dmg/dps/feeling like a tank in hc gear.. tho i prefer agi/stam balance, stam trinks, exp cap, 4% hit, i never go kitty and i never get beat by other tanks, and im never far behind the lowest dps, sometimes even beating dps...
    your rotation also helps,, and NEVER use zerk mangle spam until your full or nearly full on vengeance. i use my zerk when i know its safe too along with synapse macroed to enrage for sweet dmg ;p
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Deleted
    My kinda thread!

E: Stamina is a bad (dps) stat and isnt required at all atm. Dps-Stat ranking is (while tanking any boss/bosslvl mob excl. Ultraxion): Exp. till softcap>Agi>Crit>Stamina

Have phun Manglebombing!

Looka ma Signature (Phivi) vvvvv

---------- Post added 2012-02-10 at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by invader View Post
    lol awesome picture ;p...
    i find hardly any difference when i play around with agi or stam builds in high end gear, but i feel that stam build is better than agi for dmg/dps/feeling like a tank in hc gear.. tho i prefer agi/stam balance, stam trinks, exp cap, 4% hit, i never go kitty and i never get beat by other tanks, and im never far behind the lowest dps, sometimes even beating dps...
    your rotation also helps,, and NEVER use zerk mangle spam until your full or nearly full on vengeance. i use my zerk when i know its safe too along with synapse macroed to enrage for sweet dmg ;p
    Your rely way too much on your emotions. Aka u are doin' it wrong. But it doesnt matter for sucessfull Bosskills anymore.
    Last edited by mmoc437f6faa3d; 2012-02-10 at 02:20 PM.

I stack agility and cap hit and exp (26) and do pretty good dps. Did about 31k on Ultraxion the other night and constantly rank on other fights (Morchok, Hagara and Ultraxion this week).

Can't post links yet, but Thelmfour Bleeding Hollow (US).