Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Good point. Clunky is usually used to describe responsiveness in a game, typically combat and movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I use clunky to describe something that is awkward to control or not very smooth or fluid. Might not even be the proper usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    I think you could say sluggish insteed, or akward
    So "clunky" actually just means interface lag?

If its as responsive as WoW then its gold. That and has no channeled abilities as melee classes (not mentioning any names) >.>

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    It's Press beta and yeah it's under NDA.
    omg an NDA no way. we're screwed...

In all honesty when has an NDA ever prevented a leak...

Death improves everyone's reputation...

Quote Originally Posted by MalooTakant View Post

All the time actually, when you actually know who the people are (i.e. have their actual information) and have other systems in place to prevent leaks, it's pretty easy. Gaming media are all under constant NDA for tons of different things at once. When you see them break it is either A. they weren't under NDA, found out from someone else, so they could report it without jeopardizing relations, B. Someone done goofed (only flies occasionally and still has penalties), or C. they break it intentionally and potentially ruin their relationship with the specific developer and maybe others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    If its as responsive as WoW then its gold. That and has no channeled abilities as melee classes (not mentioning any names) >.>
    That warrior gameplay vid back in the 1st page had channeled abilities, but it looked like you could still move around while the channel bar was still active.

10+ Year Old Account
    Each time I see a thread title containing “Beta” and exclamation marks, my pulse is reaching critical levels. But when I open and see what it’s actually about, I die a little inside… Might as well go and kill myself before I die of disappoint.

OT: When Total Biscuit says the game feel really nice, I believe the game feels excellent. Also, I’ve never heard of anyone who has tried the game that think it feels awkward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    That warrior gameplay vid back in the 1st page had channeled abilities, but it looked like you could still move around while the channel bar was still active.
    Afaik you can always move, while 'casting' anything. Caster can also do pretty much everything on the move. But what channeled warrior ability do you mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Afaik you can always move, while 'casting' anything. Caster can also do pretty much everything on the move. But what channeled warrior ability do you mean?
    The only think I've heard that is being unable to move while performing is resurrecting. And the closed spell I can think of for warriors that is being channeled is Riposte, which is hold to block.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by trakbob View Post
    The only think I've heard that is being unable to move while performing is resurrecting. And the closed spell I can think of for warriors that is being channeled is Riposte, which is hold to block.
    Yeah and during the 'Finish him' mechanism too I guess, but that's kinda obvious. There are abilities like Whirling Axe but you can always move and steer etc. during those abilities, and whirling axe is one of the cooler warrior abilities imo.

Combat and UI is extremely fluid, the way skills queue before, after, and during their animations is just flawless imo. I played the demo at PAX and this was even way before beta so.. it can only get better right? However I don't know how they would do that First mmo I have played that can even compare to WoW's controls and UI instead of all these copy pasta clones with shitty controls like rift, swtor, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MalooTakant View Post

How do you know this anti-tiger spray is working?

Well you don't see any tigers around, do you???

In all seriousness though, if an NDA is working properly you're probably not hearing about all the potential leaks it's preventing. You only hear about the times an NDA fails. So any leaks you see about a project under an NDA are going to skew your perception, since you don't see anything when the NDA is working as intended. What if ArenaNet hadn't told anyone other than a select group of press that a closed press beta was even going on right now? You wouldn't even be asking this question :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword View Post
    Combat and UI is extremely fluid, the way skills queue before, after, and during their animations is just flawless imo. I played the demo at PAX and this was even way before beta so.. it can only get better right? However I don't know how they would do that First mmo I have played that can even compare to WoW's controls and UI instead of all these copy pasta clones with shitty controls like rift, swtor, etc.
    That is damn impressive I would say. My main issue with games like LotRO and Rift was that even though they used WoW-esque control schemes, the skills still felt sluggish to me, and there were issues I personally had with animations. People can talk smack about WoW, but the fluid controls and smooth animations are unparalleled compared to any other mmo I have played. Every GW2 combat video I've seen made me think, "Damn, this looks as good as WoW controls".

I wouldn't call WOW animations "smooth", at all. it's jerky, and unconnected. I think the words people are looking for are "immediate response". You press a button in WOW, and you immediately see it happen on screen. This is certainly a problem I have with SWTOR - I press a button, and the animations take so long to both start, and to finish. I don't mind abilities having a charge-up time (like on my Sage in SWTOR), but the beginning of the animation should be immediately visible... and sometimes it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    That is damn impressive I would say. My main issue with games like LotRO and Rift was that even though they used WoW-esque control schemes, the skills still felt sluggish to me, and there were issues I personally had with animations. People can talk smack about WoW, but the fluid controls and smooth animations are unparalleled compared to any other mmo I have played. Every GW2 combat video I've seen made me think, "Damn, this looks as good as WoW controls".
    I agree with everything you stated

I would probably play rift, swtor, and many other games if the controls were just much more similar to WoW as the poster above me said they are just not as responsive and do feel sluggish. I hate that, it literally makes or breaks a mmo for me.

I am so glad Anet gets that and have made a fantastic game with very responsive controls and cool slick UI. Also I have a feeling they are going to work on UI even more, what we've seen won't be the final outcome in my holy opinion even though it's great already.

As long as its not like Ravage on a Sith Warrior I'm sold. Stupid ability that wont let me move or even cancel it half the bloody time -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as its not like Ravage on a Sith Warrior I'm sold. Stupid ability that wont let me move or even cancel it half the bloody time -_-
    Is that due to a bug, or just craptastic mechanics? BTW, I love your signature. Reminds me why I quit WoW...well, just one of the reasons.

OT: 5 more days, then this forum and news sites are going to be "leaking" like the Niagara Falls!!! Prepare your anuses for more GW2 information than it can handle!

10+ Year Old Account

This was already posted in pg 1 of this thread but i'll post it again, combat begins at 4:45 into the video. But keep an eye on the channeled/casting abilities. From what I understand with alot of people are telling me, you can actually channel/cast while moving. You can actually see this on some of the moves he does throughout the video.

This was already posted in pg 1 of this thread but i'll post it again, combat begins at 4:45 into the video. But keep an eye on the channeled/casting abilities. From what I understand with alot of people are telling me, you can actually channel/cast while moving. You can actually see this on some of the moves he does throughout the video.
    6:08 he does that spinning aoe channeled attack while moving. Love it.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    I played a Charr warrior for 40 mins at the Eurogamer Expo at earls court last august.

My expericances up to that point with MMO's had be warcraft, i tried to play it like warcraft i almost died.

To me it felt more like playing witcher 2 except a little bit more quicker and versatile as i was able to swap to my bow and use these aoes and things when i got some range (in witcher 2 you ustop and pause when throwing daggers or magic, i was having to run). The combat felt fluid and responsive, it did not feel cluncky at all, the demo got me realy hyped and so i bought the trilogy and eotn. i played guildwars afterewards, that felt cluncky and very much different to what i had played and seen.
    I'm playing 2 characters on gw a warrior and an elementalist they realy did not feel or look like their gw2 counterparts.

It did feel a little weird having dodge on an energy meter, for example in witcher 2 thats not the case and you can role to your hearts content but it did make it difficult and kept the pressure up, along with the button 6 heal, furiously pressing that always on CD

As i said i went in with my wow mentality, which as i was playing a melee character, run into melee range and slug it out using my abilitys. As i said before i almost died, infact i may have done i'm not so sure, it was all so much to take in in such a short time, it was 3-4hours standing in a que and i hand't had breakfast or lunch :/

It seemed from where i had gone that i was not restricted to where i could go, i could jump on and over things something which i have noticed you cannot do in GW, untill i went into part of the Charr city, it was very spikey and metallic black/red colouring, i started and instance from that place as it was part of my quest.

The interface to my memory i only experianced the use of the map, and the inventory screen and i do not remeber having any problems with them otherwise it would have stuck out as a negative part of my experiance.

The questing seemed different, a bit like wow (now a days not 4 years ago) with the quests being noted on the side of the screen but i didn't need to complete whole parts of the quest just fill this quest experiance bar. So i did the quest and varied in what i would do, i think it was something like, pick up x amount of this/kill that, do something else at this thing that looked like a forge....pick up tools or something?

The cutscenes seemed very good, and character customization was very overwhelming so much to read and very concious of the time limit. I do recall one girl sitting there for a full 20 mins making her sylvari character

Overall i left excited and wanting to play more, just to cap things up, i found it fluid and responsive, the warrior felt like a versatile fighter, being able to switch from ranged to melee very quickly, i do remeber have some power up attack that was very very good, flaming arrows or something, it was like playing an action rpg except i was clicking/hotkeying for use of attacks in real time, as i said like witcher 2 but with a 10 key hot bar.

I guess if you havn't played witcher 2, you could compare it to any action game where survival is based on how quick the players actions are opposed to standing still and relying on statistics and constant heals and the melee combat seems to have more "swing" with it you won't realy get a "not in range cannot attack" message a miss is when the character phyically moves out of your swing.

One more note on swings, the attacks seemed to hit multiple opponents with one swing as long as they were infront of my sword strike, it also seemed to hit from a further distance than i would have thought i could hit and a wider tange too.

I hope my comments help

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhrim View Post
    The cutscenes seemed very good, and character customization was very overwhelming so much to read and very concious of the time limit. I do recall one girl sitting there for a full 20 mins making her sylvari character
    Happened at Gamescom 2011 as well, 4 hours wait line to play the game, "Let's spend 20 minutes on making a character."