Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Any advice on how to ignore how horrible the world is? D:

Lately for me things have been pretty horrible so I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to ignore how terrible things can be. =\ I don't drink and I use games to distract me from these problems but lately I have been really depressed. I usually don't really let stuff bug me but its starting to more. Anyone have any advice? I have no interest in drinking to forget problems and really wouldn't want to take antidepressants, any advice that doesn't involve those two options would be welcome.

Get laid? A pretty girl can be quite distracting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibby76 View Post
    Get laid? A pretty girl can be quite distracting.
    Haha yeah but they can also complicate things even more :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Pick up a good set of novels and get lost in them!
    any recommendations?

Find something that bothers you and learn everything you can about it, from multiple perspectives. Not only will you gain valuable knowledge, but your general disposition will be less emotionally charged.

15+ Year Old Account
    Take a nice vacation! Head somewhere warm. Always makes me feel a lot better this time of year.

I hide in my closet. But what Bad said is probably more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Find something that bothers you and learn everything you can about it, from multiple perspectives. Not only will you gain valuable knowledge, but your general disposition will be less emotionally charged.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, don't watch the news. That will just make you more depressed.

Deleted
    I would suggest speaking to your doctor and getting referred to a therapist to talk things out. If that isn't a route you wish to take have you any close friends/family you can confide in?

If you can identify what it is in your life that is making you feel low you can change it, the main thing is the only person who can truly change your outlook is you.

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt, that is not my intention I'm just trying to offer some constructive advice as someone who has suffered from depression and anxiety in the past.

Edit: Just realised I missed the fact you want to ignore the bad things, think I might be approaching this from the wrong direction! Maybe find a new outdoor hobby to accompany your gaming to get you out of the house, there's a lot to be said for a good old dose of Vitamin D to make you feel better, though if you're in England, good luck this time of year!

I wish you all the best /hug
    Last edited by mmocecbb5aff6b; 2012-02-09 at 11:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Take a nice vacation! Head somewhere warm. Always makes me feel a lot better this time of year.
    Or skiing! It's the perfect time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgil View Post
    Lately for me things have been pretty horrible so I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to ignore how terrible things can be. =\ I don't drink and I use games to distract me from these problems but lately I have been really depressed. I usually don't really let stuff bug me but its starting to more. Anyone have any advice? I have no interest in drinking to forget problems and really wouldn't want to take antidepressants, any advice that doesn't involve those two options would be welcome.
    Come to realize that the world really isn't such a bad place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that is part of it D: there's just so many bad things that seem to happen every day in the world and they don't cover as many good events.

As for the vacation somewhere warm :P I live at the beach and have for my entire life so its not really a get away for me =\ Doesn't really have the effect it would have on other people. I would rather have something to distract me from my thoughts and sitting on the beach gives me to much time to think about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Come to realize that the world really isn't such a bad place.
    x.x for some people it is...

^ This, also stay away from General OT, it has the same effect on people. Also what Bad said.

Although I'd just say, distance yourself from it, just live in the 'now'. Focus on whatever you're doing at the moment (If you don't do much, start doing stuff, college, a hobby, music etc... etc...) and just get absorbed in it. It's hard to worry about things when you're preoccupied. Failing that, recreational drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exercising will make you feel better.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Start the day off reading the comics, you will live a longer happier life.
    Do no lay in bed moaning about it, get up, get dressed, get out the door.
    Stick with winners for you.
    Make a plan to combat your blues and carry it out.
    Be aware of what triggers you and try to avoid those situations the best you can.
    As for antidepressants I am actually kind of stoked for you OP, a lot of people have problems they want to just chuck pills at....Without ever considering they might be unhappy due to life sucking and not a chemical imbalance. Be aware there are times when it IS chemical, but I think 80% of the time it's a bandaid solution for those too weak or unwilling to effect change.
    <BIG BEAR HUGS> I hope you feel better
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're on a forum. That's a small step in that direction. Whether or not it impacts your life in a negative way begs the question.

Cartoons and Video games, meng. Screw live-action crap like drama and game shows. Those ruin more lives than cartoons and video games ever did.

Stay away from facebook/twitter also.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2012-02-09 at 11:42 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

First off, don't push the anti depressants off the table. They've helped a lot of people through rough times. Get on them, then find something fulfilling in life. Then, you can come off them with no problem. Frankly, depression is a disease. You can't just push it off going, "I don't want this." You need treatment and coping mechanisms. In the least, talk to a therapist who will be able to council you in what best to do. Go to a Therapist not a Psychiatrist, if you're so worried about being put on medication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Start the day off reading the comics, you will live a longer happier life.
    Do no lay in bed moaning about it, get up, get dressed, get out the door.
    Stick with winners for you.
    Make a plan to combat your blues and carry it out.
    Be aware of what triggers you and try to avoid those situations the best you can.
    As for antidepressants I am actually kind of stoked for you OP, a lot of people have problems they want to just chuck pills at....Without ever considering they might be unhappy due to life sucking and not a chemical imbalance. Be aware there are times when it IS chemical, but I think 80% of the time it's a bandaid solution for those too weak or unwilling to effect change.
    <BIG BEAR HUGS> I hope you feel better
    You mean embrace denial? Yeah that is pretty much the co-answer to life.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2012-02-09 at 11:41 PM. Reason: crap it suedo double posted instead of adding to my original
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightgil View Post
    Yeah that is part of it D: there's just so many bad things that seem to happen every day in the world and they don't cover as many good events.
    Yeah, I usually stick to Tech news or sports. A lot less aggravating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    This, so much this. From my own personal experience this has helped me a lot.

What sorta things exactly bother you, OP? Give us a taste of your worldview

Get yourself a pet. If you're anti-social, there's no problem. If you aren't anti-social, a pet is still 10 times better than some girl. And you know they will always be loyal to you. If you lock your dog and your girlfriend in the trunk of your car for 1 hour, you know which one is going to be happy to see you when you open it. If you don't have the responsibility to take care of a dog, get a cat. They take care of themselves. Just add food and you're done.