Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] chronicle....

WARNING SPOILER PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I hated this movie honestly one of the worst i have ever seen. They don't explain how they got the powers. The Charictor development was terrible, Andrew should gave into the darkness/hate a LONG time ago and killed his father. But what do you guys think of it? i could give more reason why i hated this movie but i want to hear what you people think.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a found footage film. The first step in that is to not explain anything. Like Cloverfield, it explains the characters more than the main theme of the story. The audiance is the Camera, and all we know is what the camera knows. I thought it was good for what it was. It was just a neat little story of what people *may* do when they obtain powers given, not earned. And what happens when they do not think before their actions, both super powers and other powers.

The whole "oh man what would teenagers do with these powers" was interesting, but the teen-angst parts (pretty much the whole thing) were boring and horrible.

Strange I liked this movie. Personally I don't really have anything against "found footage" type films, I liked paranormal activity, [REC], Blair Witch Project and cloverfield somewhat. I like the superhero genre too for the most part.

It's nothing revolutionary or original but just a superhero origin story done differently with a lot of dark themes. It also deals with the marginalized aspect of one of the characters mostly well. The initial part of the film with the pranks is really "realistic" in the sense that it's what young people *would* do with powers. The film is short, so the pacing is quite good and the latter part of the movie is quite hectic.

Obviously it's not the "best movie ever" but I enjoyed it a lot more than say, dragon tattoo/fight club (watched those 2 recently). But then again it's not on the same level as hugo, drive or even descendants. And again the "marginalization/bullied youngster into revenge" theme is handled a lot better in many many other movies.

Not sure why you would hate the movie though; it was enjoyable at least; and probably better than sherlock holmes: game of shadows. Could you elaborate ?

Deleted
    Felt like it was written by someone who used to daydream in his teens. Particular the talent show part. Who wouldnt find it funny to stumbled in on a scene, pretending some bad magic acts and then suddenly start levitating or making stuff flying around using telekinese. Allso the flying part was pretty cool - again, just imagine....

Didnt felt like the movie had to explain their powers, with mockumentary like this, it usualy feels like the protagonist is a youtube channel who dont interpret what being captured.
    Would prolly rate the movie close to RT`s consensus - ~ 8/10.

Saw it the other day with the other half.

It was good, I was expecting more though. Left feeling like it could have gone on a bit longer or explained things better.

it was a super power version of the blair witch project, i took it for what it was and enjoyed it

if you expect backstory and explanation in any kind of "homemade camcorder" film, you'll be hard pushed to find it, i did like the way they would switch between the camcorder, CCTV and the odd dashboard cam or cameraphone.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    At least the found footage crap was toned down thanks to using their powers as a reason to not have it shaking all over the place.

Also, the final battle scene was awesome.

I felt like it achieved what it set out to do. Also, I'd so use the powers to get back at the douchebags I had to put up with all my life (ie: Magneto syndrome).

Deleted
    i wanted to go and see this movie, but it isnt even showing in my cinema .... after these reviews i wont be in any hurry to go and see it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i wanted to go and see this movie, but it isnt even showing in my cinema .... after these reviews i wont be in any hurry to go and see it
    The final battle is worth it.

Sneek into the theater right at the end to avoid all the angsty crap at the beginging. You won't miss much.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeshka View Post
    Strange I liked this movie. Personally I don't really have anything against "found footage" type films, I liked paranormal activity, [REC], Blair Witch Project and cloverfield somewhat. I like the superhero genre too for the most part.

It's nothing revolutionary or original but just a superhero origin story done differently with a lot of dark themes. It also deals with the marginalized aspect of one of the characters mostly well. The initial part of the film with the pranks is really "realistic" in the sense that it's what young people *would* do with powers. The film is short, so the pacing is quite good and the latter part of the movie is quite hectic.

Obviously it's not the "best movie ever" but I enjoyed it a lot more than say, dragon tattoo/fight club (watched those 2 recently). But then again it's not on the same level as hugo, drive or even descendants. And again the "marginalization/bullied youngster into revenge" theme is handled a lot better in many many other movies.

Not sure why you would hate the movie though; it was enjoyable at least; and probably better than sherlock holmes: game of shadows. Could you elaborate ?
    Sherlock Holmes :Game of Shadows was pretty good, better than Chronicle, and the first Holmes movie!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    Sherlock Holmes :Game of Shadows was pretty good, better than Chronicle, and the first Holmes movie!
    Disagree.
    Moriarty was kinda ... bleh. And they reused too much of the whole slow down time crap to pad the film.

There's worse things to do for a couple of hours mind you; but I'd just go see The Grey again.

---------- Post added 2012-02-10 at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neeshka View Post

Wait, what ? Really ?

15+ Year Old Account
    it was an enjoyable and exciting film with action and good effects, its not suppose to be a cinematic master piece, and how could they explain the powers, the boys arent scientists... its from there point of view, not the military investigating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankminimia View Post
    it was an enjoyable and exciting film with action and good effects, its not suppose to be a cinematic master piece, and how could they explain the powers, the boys arent scientists... its from there point of view, not the military investigating it.
    Well in real life if something like this happened 1st They shouldn't have had a party ANYWERE near that. hole. 2nd the goverment should of watched that at ALL times. 3rd the hole being pushed around thing is really damn old i mean they did it for harry potter,Spider man and alot of otherfilms. i could go on and on about how this film had so many loop holes.

I'll rate the movie as 'okay.' That's better than bad, but worse than good.

This was actually a movie that I wanted to see and there aren't too many of those. I watched the film not knowing anything about it other than what I had seen from the trailers. Unfortunately, the trailer is all you need to see. There are no plot turns, twists, or surprises. The entire story is in the trailer. The characters were two dimensional and unrealistic.

Andrew never really had a reason to go crazy. He wasn't betrayed by anyone he trusted. Sure his dad was an asshole but that's not going to make someone go insane. Hell, he should have been use to it. I couldn't help but be reminded of the movie 'Carrie.' Except that character was much more developed and believable than Andrew. Chronicle only had a 75 minute run-time. So much more room for story and character development that wasn't used.

Another thing I didn't like was that the entire film was shot in the 'found footage' type, first-person perspective. Obviously from watching the trailer I knew some of the film would be like this which I don't necessarily have a problem with. But the entire film did not need to be from this point of view. There was no need for it. And there was just so many times where it felt forced.

Finally, anyone could have written them gaining their powers. They just went down into a hole and stood next to a giant glowing crystal. There was no creativity or spin what so ever. It was just amateur writing plain and simple. Something I could have wrote. There was no follow up or anything. They go back, the hole is covered up, and they're told to leave. Very uneventful. It felt like the writer(s) just didn't know what to do with it.

I feel like they could easily make a sequel to this movie either with or without the original cast/characters. If you're a movie buff, then by all means go see this. It's not terrible. Otherwise I would recommend waiting a few months for it to release on video.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Another thing I didn't like was that the entire film was shot in the 'found footage' type, first-person perspective.
    This is the ONLY reason I went to go see it (many others agree with me). I knew the movie was going to be amateur hour, but your allowed to hide that with movies filmed like this. We have seen way too many movies about people with powers. What differentiated this was the first person perspective of them flying in the air playing football, testing their powers on parked cars, pranking people in a dept store. It made you feel like you were watching a Youtube video of somebody. This, imo, was its only strength.

I agree with you on the rest, Andrew was a little baby, and how they got their powers was weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Amontoya86 View Post
    I agree with you on the rest, Andrew was a little baby, and how they got their powers was weak.
    Yep pretty much.

Just saw this last night with my wife. I know if I developed telekinetic powers one of the things I'd do is crush peoples' cell phones in movie theatres.

The reason behind it being a handcam/found footage movie is obvious. If it were shot like a normal movie the effects budget would be through the roof. With it shot via handcam this means that certain scenes that would be very difficult to pull off could be made fuzzier because of the camera being of poor quality or getting interferece. EX: The scene where the find the crystal underground and the scene where Andrew blows up the hospital room.

And I don't get how anyone can call the characters two-dimensional. We get quite a lot of background and development from Andrew and Matt. And anyone who would call a boy like Andrew (someone who has been violently abused at both home and school for years) a baby must not be exposed to many abused children.

Deleted
    I think this movie was quite bad so much wasted potential for one too little action going on i would have so hoped it would be like Akira but i guess we have to wait for the hollywood version for that to come (even tought im against it)
    Last edited by mmoc53d469cddd; 2012-02-15 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    saw it and thought the trailer was kinda misleading
    acting terrible, cgi hit and miss, story utterly implausible but somehow still kinda entertaining enough to stop me walking out of cinema
    that and the very short running time

6/10