So how are ret paladins in pve/pvp

I have had people talk about paladins being less squishy than a dk and a warrior in pvp and they do decent in pve. I was just wanting some feedback on paladins because I was planning on rolling with two friends of mine, who are playing a mage and rogue.

Ret paladin atm, with 4 set its magic, so much burst, its not funny, im loving this teir. for pve ret paladins are near the top, not as good as firemages and combate rogues but decent enough for me to change from prot to ret this patch

Quote Originally Posted by Brandyi View Post
    Ret paladin atm, with 4 set its magic, so much burst, its not funny, im loving this teir. for pve ret paladins are near the top, not as good as firemages and combate rogues but decent enough for me to change from prot to ret this patch
    How do you do against ranged classes in pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandyi View Post
    for pve ret paladins are near the top
    Unfortunately, this is not true for Heroic. Every other class has a dps specialization that can outmatch Ret on average in Dragon Soul, EXCEPT Shamans and Warlocks. Warlocks are just too close to Ret to call it anything but about even.

ohh not this again /facepalm
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    For PvE assuming equal gear & equal skill ret is around middle of the pack (the spec has strong burst on CD but low sustained damage), however luck does play a huge role in it since ret is among the most RNG dependent specs in game.

For PvP there are only actually a few specs that are worse off as dps & you will basically be relegated to being nothing more then an off healer with decent-strong burst once every 2 minutes (assuming no mage, shaman priest or hunter is around to offensively dispel you).
    That is unless of course your skill, luck & teamwork is at godly levels like Vanguard.

All in all I would say if you like playing slot machines or like being an off healer then you might like ret in PvE & PvP respectively, however if you tend to look closely at things you will probably come to hate how little attention blizzard put into the design for cataclysm.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

130k World of Glory. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    For PvE assuming equal gear & equal skill ret is around middle of the pack (the spec has strong burst on CD but low sustained damage), however luck does play a huge role in it since ret is among the most RNG dependent specs in game.

For PvP there are only actually a few specs that are worse off as dps & you will basically be relegated to being nothing more then an off healer with decent-strong burst once every 2 minutes (assuming no mage, shaman priest or hunter is around to offensively dispel you).
    That is unless of course your skill, luck & teamwork is at godly levels like Vanguard.

All in all I would say if you like playing slot machines or like being an off healer then you might like ret in PvE & PvP respectively, however if you tend to look closely at things you will probably come to hate how little attention blizzard put into the design for cataclysm.
    It's that bad eh? How are they compared to say let's say, enhancement shamans?

---------- Post added 2012-02-10 at 06:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    130k World of Glory. That is all.
    Word of glory crits for that high?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofwerx View Post

Enhance shaman can slow, hex, interupt, have some good totems including grounding, can off-heal and has no execute and very weak burst.
    Retri has amost no dmg inbetween the wings, no peels, both his stunns are dispellable, all his utility spells getting dispelled in matter of seconds on higher ratings. Same as wings.

And ye those 100k+ WOG happens, but only on friendly targets and only if you use wings to boost it up, which means you just wasted timing of your major CD for big heal and you will be laughable another 2 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Harosh View Post
    Enhance shaman can slow, hex, interupt, have some good totems including grounding, can off-heal and has no execute and very weak burst.
    Retri has amost no dmg inbetween the wings, no peels, both his stunns are dispellable, all his utility spells getting dispelled in matter of seconds on higher ratings. Same as wings.

And ye those 100k+ WOG happens, but only on friendly targets and only if you use wings to boost it up, which means you just wasted timing of your major CD for big heal and you will be laughable another 2 mins.
    You're replying with mostly complete bias. Retribution is better than Enhancement in every single way and a good one can support a team's victory like hell. Ret has much better swaps, damage, and support than Enhancement.

Also, Ret really doesn't get his stuff dispelled easier on high ratings. It really only happens instantly in the mediocre ratings (1900-2300, give or take some) where the healers are only barely smart enough to know that they have a dispel, but your teammates are still much too focused on tunnelvisioning to peel for you.

Also playing with a priest makes dispelling a pain. Ret/priest/x isn't really that bad of a comp. Rogue / DK / Hunter both work with either priest or shaman

Also 100k WoGs happen often enough that you can rely on them when you really need it, and 70-80k wogs aren't really that bad either.
    Last edited by Tarin; 2012-02-10 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarin View Post
    You're replying with mostly complete bias. Retribution is better than Enhancement in every single way and a good one can support a team's victory like hell. Ret has much better swaps, damage, and support than Enhancement.

Also, Ret really doesn't get his stuff dispelled easier on high ratings. It really only happens instantly in the mediocre ratings (1900-2300, give or take some) where the healers are only barely smart enough to know that they have a dispel, but your teammates are still much too focused on tunnelvisioning to peel for you.

Also playing with a priest makes dispelling a pain. Ret/priest/x isn't really that bad of a comp. Rogue / DK / Hunter both work with either priest or shaman

Also 100k WoGs happen often enough that you can rely on them when you really need it, and 70-80k wogs aren't really that bad either.
    Now you brought your biased opinion in this thread. Every single way, you say?
    -Ranged interrupt, 5 sec cd
    -ranged slow and root, lasts 8 sec, 6 sec cooldown
    -better sustained damage than ret
    -better selfheals (but worse offheals)
    -Totem with passive slow, also works as a freedom for the entire party, 15 sec cooldown
    -Grounding totem 25 sec cooldown
    -Tremor totem, breaks fear, 1min cooldown
    -Purge, spammable offensive dispel
    -instant hex, cc that is dispellable only by some classes. 40 sec cd.

Most of those are abilities that rets only dream of. Enchancement shaman offers so much more utility than rets and in the hands of a good player it's a better spec than retri is. There are just so many bad enchancements crying about a spec that is completely viable because they don't know how to use it.

And no, you can't rely on 100k wogs because you need wings for them. 60-70k Wogs are not bad but that is our only peel for christs sake...
    Last edited by Johnmatrix; 2012-02-10 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofwerx View Post

Enhancement is the spec with the lowest DPS in game currently PvE wise (though their DPS without cool downs is much higher due to ret being extremely RNG & CD based), PvP wise however they tend to be to have problems with survivability. (they bring a shitload of offensive potential however)

As for WOG heals, they are great when used on others but given how much damage you sacrifice to use them they aren't really worth it for using on yourself unless sacred shield is up & you have last word.

Ideally if it was up to me I would get rid of or greatly reduce the off healing potential for ret (and lessen the support for others the spec provides) & give it some basic offensive tools & tweaks that almost every other melee spec has at baseline because time has shown again & again that the role of off healing just cannot be balanced properly (especially as a melee dps because it means you will lack tools to do your primary job).
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-02-10 at 03:30 PM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

From my experience no-one goes ret in pvp, the burst is epic but meh, most people go holy :/

As a ret in pvp, you'll find you can survive quite well for a somewhat short period of time, but after that you better have an exit plan.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    I find in 3's that basically, I'm there for insane burst, then offheal/pressure tactics for 2 minutes. Splitting AV and Zealotry means less ZOMGIMBABURST, but more sustained pressure. Swings & roundabouts - higher levels aren't hard to reach if you have a good team.

PVE... eh, debatable. Far too proc dependent to be top of the pack, but if you play right you won't be at the bottom.

Basically, right now.. Nothin' special.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played my DK, warrior, and paladin (main) in pvp and honestly, I seem to have a lot of survivability on my ret paladin. As they have stated previously, 4 set makes it much easier. It is also subjective because there is no 'op' class in PVP that is unbeatable (which some may disagree with and say frost mages or something silly lol). When I go blood, however on my DK, I destroy people and never die and it feels much easier than ret. But you should try it out, I don't think you'll regret going ret.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only raided on my ret OS a couple of times and I'm usually in the middle of the pack in DPS, being behind legendary boomkins/mages/rogues =/ All in all, ret is in a good place right now and bring's great utility to a raid!
    Stationed at McGuire, AFB.
    PC Specs: i5-3570K, GTX 690, Gigabyte UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Corsair AX750, H100i, Phantom 630 case, Asus VH236H