Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    How is guild wars 2 combat?

    I've been digging up information on Guild wars 2 for quite some time now. I have not tried Guild Wars 1. The one thing that makes or breaks a game like this for me is the combat system. So I would like to ask people who have tried it or heard more detailed information about it, is the combat like in World of Warcraft or is it actually different? So many games have that boring no-skill required homing missile combat system as WoW and I'm sick of it.

    So how's the combat in GW2?

  2. #2
    High Overlord Primal Zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Land of Bush and Dust
    Posts
    183
    I have no personally played the game, but it does have a lot to set it apart from the WoW (et al) mechanics:

    First, let's get dodging out of the way. You press a button, you dodge, which also grants brief invulnerability. Just think of the Legend of Zelda kind of thing.

    Projectiles do not track; they follow a consistent path until they hit something. There are even certain skills that throw up a barrier that reflects the projectiles.

    Attacks do not just harm a single target, they'll hit whatever's within its damaging range. For melee, that means if a character swings a weapon in a large sweep, it will hit all targets caught in that sweep. For projectiles, it means fireballs that explode when they hit something or streaks of energy that damage everything they pass through.

    There are a lot of skills that are about mobility, both for advancing and retreating. Mesmers have a teleportation zone, elementalists can dash forward and leave a trail of fire behind them, thieves can fire a shot that teleports them to where it hit.

    There's many skills that are about placing aoe fields, either beneficial for you and allies or detrimental to enemies. These don't require the caster still sustaining them; they tend to just be dropped and then persist for a certain amount of time.

    Along with the above aoe fields are 'profession combos' - certain skills used in certain fields create additional effects.

    The developers have emphasized that movement and placement will be a big deal in combat. The idea is to move away from fights in which two characters are just standing their swinging at each other. (You can still find videos of this in GW2, though, notably when it's just one-on-one fighting some random animal in the open world.)


    That about covers the facts. I'll see if I can find some articles talking about the combat from people who've gotten in the game.
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Proxeneta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Far north of everything
    Posts
    716
    If you have been digging up information regarding GW2, you should probably have come by a few gameplay videos. But from what I have seen, the combat is pretty dynamic compared to the standard static WoW/Rift combat. And as far as I have seen there are no, or at least very few homing missiles in the game, there are different speeds, but none of which I have seen so far are definitive "homing missiles". So yeah, all in all I think it will be very dynamic and you will be able to dodge most of the spells/skills.
    Zed beat me to it apparently

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    I have no personally played the game, but it does have a lot to set it apart from the WoW (et al) mechanics:

    First, let's get dodging out of the way. You press a button, you dodge, which also grants brief invulnerability. Just think of the Legend of Zelda kind of thing.

    Projectiles do not track; they follow a consistent path until they hit something. There are even certain skills that throw up a barrier that reflects the projectiles.

    Attacks do not just harm a single target, they'll hit whatever's within its damaging range. For melee, that means if a character swings a weapon in a large sweep, it will hit all targets caught in that sweep. For projectiles, it means fireballs that explode when they hit something or streaks of energy that damage everything they pass through.

    There are a lot of skills that are about mobility, both for advancing and retreating. Mesmers have a teleportation zone, elementalists can dash forward and leave a trail of fire behind them, thieves can fire a shot that teleports them to where it hit.

    There's many skills that are about placing aoe fields, either beneficial for you and allies or detrimental to enemies. These don't require the caster still sustaining them; they tend to just be dropped and then persist for a certain amount of time.

    Along with the above aoe fields are 'profession combos' - certain skills used in certain fields create additional effects.

    The developers have emphasized that movement and placement will be a big deal in combat. The idea is to move away from fights in which two characters are just standing their swinging at each other. (You can still find videos of this in GW2, though, notably when it's just one-on-one fighting some random animal in the open world.)


    That about covers the facts. I'll see if I can find some articles talking about the combat from people who've gotten in the game.
    Whoa that actually sounds pretty awesome, thanks a lot for the reply. And to the other poster, I tend to avoid videos due to the fact that my internet is absolute garbage :<

  5. #5
    High Overlord Primal Zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Land of Bush and Dust
    Posts
    183
    Part 2 of an article from a self-proclaimed skeptic when it comes to GW2, written after his first hands-on experience in it:
    http://www.massiveonlinegamer.com/previews/1266

    I normally don't like Total Biscuit, but he made a very good video walkthrough with a new Charr character. You get to see how skills are acquired and how melee combat at a very low level looks like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVGEYGE8hs
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

  6. #6
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    Primal Zed made a nice list, but I'm a firm believer of the fact that you have to see something in order to judge if you like it. Just go on youtube and search for guild wars 2 and gamescom or G-star or Pax. Should give you enough hits. I'll give you a few that I like:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-healkDctCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmmKgRaZrY&feature=fvst (you'll have to skip the first part of the vid though, only talk)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZUYp...eature=related

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Primal Zed made a nice list, but I'm a firm believer of the fact that you have to play something in order to judge if you like it.
    in my opinion of course, I have a hard time watching others play a game, it never does it justice

  8. #8
    High Overlord Primal Zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Land of Bush and Dust
    Posts
    183
    Your primary combat skills are directly associated with what you have in your hands: weapons, shield, focus, torch, or even switching to environmental items (such as picking up a pot).

    This is used to have a large variety of skills available to each class while still keeping some developer control over what skills can get paired together. Largely, that means weapons for a given profession have a particular lean to mobility, defense, whatever, while still retaining a variety.

    I'd recommend looking through what skills each class has for each weapon:
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en
    (I'm not sure how up-to-date the skill descriptions in that tool are)
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

  9. #9
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    in my opinion of course, I have a hard time watching others play a game, it never does it justice
    Of course, that's with everything. There's always a difference between seeing someone else play it and playing it yourself. But they can show you how the combat is. That's all I wanted to do with showing the vids, see if it peeks his interest.

  10. #10
    High Overlord Primal Zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Land of Bush and Dust
    Posts
    183
    Probably my last post here:

    Maarius made a post in this forum about a month ago going over how combat in GW2 works, with a lot more detail than I did. (Plus Maarius actually proof-read before posting, unlike me.)
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...active-battles!
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

  11. #11
    The combat is very slick, here you be the judge:

    Skip to 4:45 for combat. He then tries out some weapons, so wait a little for the real action. I personally can't wait to execute kill like the one at 7:04


    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    The combat is very slick, here you be the judge:

    Skip to 4:45 for combat. He then tries out some weapons, so wait a little for the real action. I personally can't wait to execute kill like the one at 7:04

    That looks simply amazing, it's slightly over the top and it reminds me a bit of the old final fantasies with how much attention they have paid to attack animations and details. And the combat seems to have a certain flow unlike "current MMOs".

    I think I've made my mind and I'll go ahead and buy it. The no subscription fee part is another good selling point for me too.

  13. #13
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Combat in GW2, from what we've seen, involves a lot of active dodging and moving out of the way of attacks. And as another poster said, there is no projectile lock-on like what you'd see a hunter or mages fireball do. If a projectile is launched in your direction you have 2 choices: A) Let that arrow hit you in the face or B) Dodge!
    Based on the videos we've seen the combat is really fluid and fast paced as well.

  14. #14
    One thing is the combat itself and other is playing around with different specs, learning to use them, trying different combinations ... so fucking awesome when nobody can tell you what the bis spec is.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  15. #15
    Mechagnome durza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    hidden rain village
    Posts
    712
    i played a demo when comic-con was at happening. combat is fluid and is tight or tighter then wow, spells and mechanics are amazing and every spell having an animation is also amazing
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

  16. #16
    Did any of you who played the GW2 demo at one of the conventions also play the TERA beta this weekend? It also has fluid, actiony combat that was really fun and new. I liked it. Should we expect something similar from GW2?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    Did any of you who played the GW2 demo at one of the conventions also play the TERA beta this weekend? It also has fluid, actiony combat that was really fun and new. I liked it. Should we expect something similar from GW2?
    Tera combat is similar to Guild Wars, but it kind of takes it to the next level. In that game, there's no targeting AT ALL. I'm not sure how healing works, though.

    But other than the combat, Tera is your typical MMORPG. Just with great graphics. Guild Wars 2 is totally different than WoW (which is the typical comparison). The only thing it really shares is the genre.

    But anyways, for Tera you've got crosshairs and it's similar to an FPS almost for ranged classes. I'm not sure if there's dodge mechanics.

    PvP in both games is going to be insane. That's all I care about. ^_^
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-02-13 at 12:34 AM.
    WoD updated Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/eOlZz9N.png

  18. #18
    I've heard and seen (from videos) that any attack in Tera will root you in place. So there is no moving and attacking, which is a bit different than in GW2.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I've heard and seen (from videos) that any attack in Tera will root you in place. So there is no moving and attacking, which is a bit different than in GW2.
    That's not true, and I've seen videos of ranged combat. The root lasts literally not more than half a second. So yes, you can move and cast.
    WoD updated Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/eOlZz9N.png

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I've heard and seen (from videos) that any attack in Tera will root you in place. So there is no moving and attacking, which is a bit different than in GW2.
    Yeah, Tera forces you to stand still for up to 5 sec if you are using some spells. It is very slow paced.

    GW2 is the complete opposite - fast paced, skill and reaction based, it even offers a competitive PvP system and they are directly supporting it with monthly tournaments.

    PvE-wise, in GW2 you don't have the holy trinity system, which is going to be very interesting as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •