Thread: Fire mage help!

Deleted

Fire mage help!

Hello everybody!

I just need help with my DPS.. Please give me some tips or whatever.. Look at my character and say if you see anything wrong: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Menlo/simple

Because my DPS is kinda bad for my gear, yesterday I was doing ultraxion 25man HC. And I did have 60k+ in the start but then I just drop down to 31-32k or more.. And that is really bad when you really need to push atleast 38k+ on him.. Can I please get help with this.. Its really starting to annoy me that you cant always have good dps.. I use MyBigIgnite and downloaded CombustionHelper but that dosnt help me.. Do I just have badluck all the time or do I just suck?... Please help me out!

Best regards - Menlo

For starters, use your 3 chimeara eyes, and get you haste to at least 1505. For Ultraxion you want to consider going for 1705 haste.
    This wont affect your Ultraxion dps, but remove Arcane Concentration for Improved Scorch. It can be a lifesaver on Unsleeping HC. Dont hardcast Pyroblast (only on the pull) and use your flame orb and mirrors on cd.

On forging, always try to have a crit forge on your gear. Never remove crit. On your bracers, hit to crit is bad. Mastery is still a weak stat, so mastery should be always forged away. Same for you ring of the riven and legs. The forge on your hands is very bad. As Fire, never forge something to Mastery.

Mastery isnt a horrible stat, but 1 on 1, haste and crit favor mastery. The 65 mastery on hands enchant is prefered though.

Hey Menlo.

Log I'm using: worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7cam7umcaf424svx/details/18/?s=8825&e=9153

1) Biggest problem, your haste. You are below the 1505 cap with T13. You should be at the very least 1505 and most people aim closer to 1800 haste because 1505 is too slow. Use RAWR to help you with this.
    2) Cooldowns: You didn't use a 2nd volcanic pot, missed 1 or both of your mirror images, and you only cast Flame Orb once.
    3) Combustion: It is low. Set your ignite threshold higher. The least I will do is 20k.
    4) Living Bomb uptime is only 76%. Get this closer to 90%+
    5) Drop mining and pick up a better profession.

Those are the problems I see. You being below 1505 haste is the biggest problem by far. You are missing a tick of combustion and that is our hardest hitting spell. Use your cooldowns more. Flame Orb should be used every time possible, Mirror images towards the end, and your 2nd pot for your last combustion towards the end.

I hope this helps and good luck!
    Last edited by Exiled Legion; 2012-02-10 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Editting post, I clicked wrong mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Extra note:

he is a Goblin so he gets the extra 1% haste as a racial bonus, which gives him the 13th tick of Combustion if he has Dark Intent. However, I would still suggest upping your haste by an extra 150 or so simply for faster fireballs.

The easiest way for you to do that is to remove the reforge on your gloves and to change the reforge on your pants to Mastery -> Crit.

Hey Menlo,

Using the WOL that Legion provided;

1.) I dont see a precast pyro on the boss, this isn't going to give you a huge dps boots but it's something that should be done by any raider trying to do the best he can.

2.) I dont see volcanic power on your buffs list at all so that means you didn't pre-pot and you didn't pot sub 35%

3.) Combustion usage needs some work;

1. First combustion you did not have ignite up on the target when you hit it but you gained ignite nearly right after.

• Ignite counts for almost 40% of your combustions damage, that is HUGE.
    2. Second combustion you had all three up, and from the looks of it you had about a 20 second rolling ignite, that is good
    3. Third combustion you did not have the pyroblast dot up, and you are so close to the end of LB i'm not even sure you had a tic left (looks like <1 second before it exploded
    4. Fourth Combstion I can't tell if you had pryo up or not its so close

4.) Use more instants in the ultraxion fight, if you finished casting FB and ultraxion is casting hour of twilight... throw a fire blast on him as you hit heroic will (I even macros my extra button to fireblast.

5.) Use http://wowreforge.com/?template=for:...,Mastery:1.589 for reforging, its going to change your numbers around a little.

6.) According to your armory you are missing 3 JC gems that's another +81 int, +51 int if you have full epic gems.

Deleted
    Thanks for the help! I can start with my haste, Just as Shangalar said I am goblin and then I get some extra bonus in haste and that is why I am below 1505. And I think it is my timing on all of my spells.. But I cant see how I can improve that? And I also used Volcanic potions, dont know why it didnt show that..
    Last edited by mmocdf62d1da14; 2012-02-10 at 04:49 PM.

I am a goblin as well, run around 1580 haste. thats what i set that reforger too

Sorry, I forgot about the Goblin haste racial. I use RAWR and let it do the optimizing for me. I think a lot of people do that, then adjust from there. Some people increase haste just because 2.0+ second FB's feel very slow. I agree with Therdin on some things, but here are some other points:

1) You can't precast Pyro on Ultra. My opener is Pot - MI - Scorch (if I want to make sure crit debuff is there) - Flame Orb - LB - normal cast rotation.
    2) Don't wait for a Pyro dot for combustion. It makes up so little of your combustion that you risk losing a big ignite over it. Biggest factors are ignite and LB. Pyro is just added bonus

You had a 13k combustion tick is bad. This should be closer to 18k+ at least. Your 13k could just be bad luck and ignite fell off, but that is just the way fire is.

Deleted
    Okey thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Legion View Post
    Sorry, I forgot about the Goblin haste racial. I use RAWR and let it do the optimizing for me. I think a lot of people do that, then adjust from there. Some people increase haste just because 2.0+ second FB's feel very slow. I agree with Therdin on some things, but here are some other points:

1) You can't precast Pyro on Ultra. My opener is Pot - MI - Scorch (if I want to make sure crit debuff is there) - Flame Orb - LB - normal cast rotation.
    2) Don't wait for a Pyro dot for combustion. It makes up so little of your combustion that you risk losing a big ignite over it. Biggest factors are ignite and LB. Pyro is just added bonus

You had a 13k combustion tick is bad. This should be closer to 18k+ at least. Your 13k could just be bad luck and ignite fell off, but that is just the way fire is.
    Um.... you can 100% prepot and hardcast pyro on Ultraxion.

You do know that ultraxion doesn't engage at the end of his countdown timer right? You have to actively attack him to get it started.

The pyro dot makes up about 8-10% of the overall damage that combustion does, the only time I would not wait for the pyro dot to be up is if I knew the boss was going to die in the next 15-16 secs and I didn't want to wait. There is no reason (beyond I got horribly unlucky with HS proc) to use combustion without all 3 up.

I thought the countdown was an engage countdown. You got me there.

I disagree with the combustion though. You do not sacrifice a big ignite just because you don't have Pyroblast dot up. Pyroblast dot will not make up the different between a 30k ignite and a 20k ignite because you waited.

All good on that (precasting), I see the point you are making with large ignites... I just disagree with you in most circumstances that its going to be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Legion View Post
    4) Living Bomb uptime is only 76%. Get this closer to 90%+
    Not even the #1 ranked mages have over 90% uptime on Living Bomb. Anywhere in the mid 80s is excellent.

Number 1 ranked mages have fights normally catered to them to get number 1. It is possible to have 90%+ as my mages have done it. Mid 80's is excellent, but 90% is better. I say 90%+ as obviously the higher it is the more DPS you are doing and is achievable. . It's a good goal to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about any of the ranked mages? even down to 200th.

2 of the top 10 mages have 89.9% and 89.8%.

"Unattainable Dreams Are The Best Kind"
    - Lazard Deusericus

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Not even the #1 ranked mages have over 90% uptime on Living Bomb. Anywhere in the mid 80s is excellent.
    Splitting hairs man.

Anything in the 85-90% range is fine

It's a great idea to set that goal for yourself. I aim for 95% (I never achieve it) but every week I look at my LB uptime see places where the delay is the most and look to correct it. My drive for that unattainable number is what gets me to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing that you should be doing to aggressively increase your LB uptime to over 90%. The only way to push LB uptime towards 100% is to delay casting or interrupt casting in order to put LB up as soon as it detonates (or to not let it fall off at all). Either of those options will reduce your dps more than the LB uptime increase will give you. If LB detonates mid cast, do LB before the next cast. Get a power aura or a timer so you know when it detonates and you can mindlessly get 80%+.