10+ Year Old Account

Question about RAM for the 1-22-12 Unicorn Build

Hey, all!

Firstly, while not a complete novice at building my own computers, I'll graciously admit that I don't know nearly as much as I should. So please bear with me if the questions I ask have obvious answers or are a bit silly. I'm in the process of learning.

Roughly three years ago, I bought and made my first home-built computer. It was mid-range at the time and has held up well, but I'm ready for something more high-end. I recently found myself with a vague excess of income and decided I would build the next unicorn build that Chaud posted, which came about on the 1-22-12 post. (mmo-champion.com/content/2626-Lunar-Festival-Setup-of-the-Month-TCG-Art)

My questions are pretty basic; I really wanted to do 16gb of RAM. Do you guys have any suggestions for the upgraded RAM? Also, I'm going to need a new copy of Windows 7 since I have a 32bit OEM version on this machine. Do you recommend any of the versions of Windows 7 over any of the others? Lastly, is there anything cooling-wise that I need to be aware of building that higher-end system?

I sincerely appreciate the help. And thank you, Chaud, for posting the setups and the like. It's been enormously helpful. And thank you in advance to everyone who answers this post! ^^

Just get 16GB of Gskill RAM that doesn't have the giant fins. Get the 2500k and not the 2600k. Windows 7 key will work fine for 64 if you are moving the single install at a time you get to it, otherwise W7 Home or Home Premium will be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you be able to provide an Amazon link, Chaud? I'd sincerely appreciate it. And thank you so much for responding so quickly to my post!

to Synthaxx, my desire for extra RAM is a combination of future-proofing and to smooth out my video/audio editing/compiling.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Just get 16GB of Gskill RAM that doesn't have the giant fins. Get the 2500k and not the 2600k. Windows 7 key will work fine for 64 if you are moving the single install at a time you get to it, otherwise W7 Home or Home Premium will be fine.
    Instead of G.Skill Snipers this set is cheaper and has even slimmer cooling fins.

Reusing Win7 will not work if it's an OEM version that comes from some big manufacturer like Dell. Only if you bought the $100 OEM version yourself it can be reused in another computer. Correct version to buy is the 64bit Home Premium, or 64bit Professional if you can get that with student discount.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    This might also be a silly question, but this is to be the first system I have ever built with a solid state drive. Do I use the solid state as my boot drive with Windows? I know I'll want whatever games I want to run at top speeds on it, but do I want my system files on it as well, or shall that go on the other drive?

Yes, put Windows on it.