Best 'rogue' pvp class currently?

I know almost nothing about SWTOR, but I'm about to try it over the weekend. My main on WoW is a rogue, so I want something similar for SWTOR, and have heard that this is either an Operative or an Assassin (going dark side). I want a class that's at least somewhat good in pvp and plays a bit like a rogue from WoW. What should I pick?

Criteria:
    Stealth
    Burst Damage
    Some survivability, not a complete squishfest

Thanks, I know absolutely nothing about the game. :P

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Darkside is a choice in dialogue and you can do that as rPub or Imp (my rPub JK is going dark); however the rogue class is most like an IA Op/Smuggler Scoundrel. The 'Sin is a tank/dps spec.

Deception assassins are pretty rogue-ish

I prefer madness(i play pub, so balance). It's kinda like playing an enhancement warlock. Plenty of stealthiness, with some 30yd spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Grawlix View Post
    Criteria:
    Stealth
    Burst Damage
    Operative is way more bursty than Assassin. Operative is the classic rogue like class with PvP mechanics centered on opening from stealth. Assassin doesn't get nearly the same benefit from stealth and doesn't even have any proper stealth openers, the only benefit they get from attacking from stealth is a talent that gives them extra resource regen after leaving stealth (which does let them do a bit of a burst but nothing comparable to Operative or WoW rogue).

Both classes are fine at pre-level-50 PvP but with the Operative you have to wait until fairly high level to actually get the key abilities. You do get stealth early with both though.

Some survivability, not a complete squishfest
    Assassin wins this one, especially in PvP, but both classes are very squishy. Assassin has the option of using a "tank stance" for much increased survivability (but reduced damage) while the Operative can heal a bit (you won't have most of the skills in healing spec though). A tank spec Assassin is viable even in PvP but then you definitely trade bursting for survivability.

Be warned that Operative burst was just nerfed massively and there's a popular perception that they're useless now.

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Operative is way more bursty than Assassin. Operative is the classic rogue like class with PvP mechanics centered on opening from stealth. Assassin doesn't get nearly the same benefit from stealth and doesn't even have any proper stealth openers, the only benefit they get from attacking from stealth is a talent that gives them extra resource regen after leaving stealth (which does let them do a bit of a burst but nothing comparable to Operative or WoW rogue).
    Centered on opening from stealth sounds like what I want, as I'm used to sub pvp. Thanks for info guys, if anyone else has something to add, please do so, however.

I've played a Sith Assassin and an Operative and from my experience I like the Assassin better as a rogue and here is why

1. Force Shroud which is pretty much Cloak of Shadows from WoW
    2. Force Cloak (Operatives get a similar ability) which is akin to Vanish from WoW
    3. Force Speed (Operatives don't get a sprint ability) Only lasts 2 seconds but you go at 150% speed (when talented also removes all movement impairing effects), good for crossing the line in Huttball.

Now it is true our burst damage from stealth is lacking, but I have great survivability (31/0/10) is my spec, From my last 5 games I've gotten over 150k damage done, 40k+ healing done due to my talents, and my protection (from guarding other players) always changes depending on the warzone.
    Last edited by Juniper486; 2012-02-11 at 02:34 AM.

Assassin doesn't get nearly the same benefit from stealth and doesn't even have any proper stealth openers
    Depending on your talents, you can get increased Force regen after coming out of stealth. Spike is also a fun stealth opener (causes knockdown). Not nearly as bursty as the Operative, of course.

I've leveled both now and I prefer my Assassin. It can dish out some serious damage (once you get some gear), and it seems to have much better survival than my Op. I also prefer tanking over healing in pvp (if I'm doing a role other than dps), so that settled it for me.

Personal preference, of course,

Both are worth leveling for the class story, in my opinion. So I'd say try both
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-02-11 at 02:34 AM.

Hmm, now you guys are convincing me to try assassin. I guess I'll go with assassins if operatives got the nerfbat recently. Survivability is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Both are worth leveling for the class story, in my opinion. So I'd say try both
    The Agent story is hands down the best story on the Imperial side imo, It is 100% worth levelling just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grawlix View Post
    Operative or an Assassin (going dark side).
    Just jumping in real quick, Empire =/= dark side. Empire = Empire, Dark side = dark side. You can be republic dark side, and empire light side. But I ASSUME you meant you're going Empire, and will most likely ALSO be dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mino486 View Post
    The Agent story is hands down the best story on the Imperial side imo, It is 100% worth levelling just for that.
    Absolutely 100% agree. No question (although I haven't leveled a Warrior yet... so don't spoil it for me)

OT: I was expecting the assassin to be more rogue-like when I started it. Turns out it's more of a... idk... warrior-shaman-stealth-warlock.... or something. Still fun as hell though.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-02-11 at 02:44 AM.

To add one thing, if you hear people saying that some class sucks at PvP at the moment, you should know that this game has only three warzones at the moment and as Empire you end up spending most of your PvPing in Huttball (which is good IMO and a reason to play Empire as the other two warzones are just bad copies of WoW bgs but Huttball is something new). This has a severe influence on PvP balance as often a class is or isn't particularily suited to a specific warzone and at the moment a sub-rogue-like isn't that great for the warzones.

1v1 we can argue but I doubt anyone would argue that the Operative isn't gimped at Huttball compared to the Assassin with its speed boost, aoe knockback, better survival cooldowns, ability to use tank stance for survivability/guard on ball carrier etc when Operative offers basically nothing. They are adding a new warzone fairly soon though so that's not necessarily a good reason to decide on a class but atm this is how it goes. Operatives weren't popular even pre-nerfs when their burst with consumables was insanely OP and that's probably because the class couldn't do much at Huttball even with godmode OP cooldowned burst from stealth.

1v1 we can argue but I doubt anyone would argue that the Operative isn't gimped at Huttball compared to the Assassin with its speed boost, aoe knockback, better survival cooldowns, ability to use tank stance for survivability/guard on ball carrier etc...
    Absolutely. It almost seems like Assassins were specifically made for Huttball. I can do every role that WZ requires. Guard the ball carrier, taunt whoever is pressuring him, vanish, spike someone else to peel... and so on.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-02-11 at 05:08 AM.

Assassin has good gap closers as well such as Force Pull (talent of course) and Force Speed. I can't remember if Operative has an ability similar to Assassinate which is like Hammer of Wrath only usable on targets below 30% HP and deals a decent amount of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mino486 View Post
    Assassin has good gap closers as well such as Force Pull (talent of course) and Force Speed. I can't remember if Operative has an ability similar to Assassinate which is like Hammer of Wrath only usable on targets below 30% HP and deals a decent amount of damage.
    It's more like Execute, as its a melee (4 meter range) ability. Depending on gear, I've been able to one-hit kill quite a fill people once that ability lights up. Operatives don't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's more like Execute, as its a melee (4 meter range) ability. Depending on gear, I've been able to one-hit kill quite a fill people once that ability lights up. Operatives don't have that.
    My bad, never really played warrior much in WoW, completely forgot about Execute.