Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Valve will lose, i just have that feeling. no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Yeap. And?
    You said the opposite, it was incorrect. Blizzard has no trademark on DotA, Defense of the Ancients, MOBA or anything of the sort. It's a community term. Valve's the one trying to trademark DotA, essentially trying to make it no longer a community term. This obviously doesn't sit too well with Blizzard, considering it's been their community term for 7 years and Valve's trying to associate it with their name instead of Blizzard's. See why it's a problem?

(Unless of course Blizzard does have a trademark and I'm incorrect, then it'd be a problem, just with different motivations, likely including money.)
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-02-11 at 06:57 AM.

Deleted
    Don't have anything against valve, but I hope they lose that one. Sounds like a very dickish move.

LoL is fairly popular game ? http://www.shacknews.com/article/711...ats-4m-per-day 4 million log ons a day, up to 1.3 million concurent players ... that's more than mighty WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Siding with valve on this one. Its user created content, and it was originally called defense of the agents DOTA is/was just an acronym. Blizzard trying to trademark that would be like i dunno, EA trying to trademark WTF because that acronym came from ultima online originally or something. Here's to Valve winning, seems like blizzard getting their panties in a bunch over something stupid.
    You don't even know what it's about, so don't speak about it. Blizzard isn't trying to trademark it, Valve is. Blizzard doesn't want valve to trademark the name DOTA, because then Valve would have full power over it, which they shouldn't.

Screw Valve and that pile-of-shit steam and its fanboys.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2012-02-11 at 07:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    You don't even know what it's about, so don't speak about it. Blizzard aren't trying to trademark it, Valve are. Blizzard doesn't want valve to trademark the name DOTA, because then Valve would have full power over it, which they shouldn't.
    I'd bet the that Blizzard doesn't want Valve to have it so that they can. Why would they care otherwise?

Also, ooh, Calculator update, more info is always welcome.

Why hasn't blizzard filed for the trademark before now? Are they just now realizing that DOTA is a big thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    You said the opposite, it was incorrect. Blizzard has no trademark on DotA, Defense of the Ancients, MOBA or anything of the sort. It's a community term. Valve's the one trying to trademark DotA, essentially trying to make it no longer a community term. This obviously doesn't sit too well with Blizzard, considering it's been their community term for 7 years and Valve's trying to associate it with their name instead of Blizzard's. See why it's a problem?

(Unless of course Blizzard does have a trademark and I'm incorrect, then it'd be a problem, just with different motivations, likely including money.)
    I just cant see why everyone is getting all riled up over this 1) When has blizzard EVER cared about the community and 2) its an acronym! Like someone else said in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    I'd bet the that Blizzard doesn't want Valve to have it so that they can. Why would they care otherwise?
    What is their reasoning for fighting it if its not to trademark it themselves. Its kinda like, why fight with the fat kid for the last piece of chocolate cake if you have 0 intentions of actually eating it. In this case, Whats the point in fighting a trademark if they have no intentions of trade marking it themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    Why would they want to have it for themselves when they've been fine with the way it has been for seven years? Valve is trying to exclude it from the community. If Valve gets the trademark, people could basically be sued for having dota (for wc3) fansites.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2012-02-11 at 07:27 AM.

Blizzard doesnt want it for themselves, they want it to be public domain. If DotA is trademarked, they wont be able to have "Blizzard DotA" after all... would be a pretty big slap in the face if they werent able to use that name, ya know?

blizzard should be able to win the dota name

Don't really see how anyone can make a case for Valve here.

The legalities are a gray area. The map editor's EULA does prohibit commercial use of things made in the editor, although I'm not if that can really be extend to simple names.

Still, Icefrog is not the owner of the DoTA name. In fact, the idea for the name "Defense of the Ancients" originally borrows from Warcraft 3 lore and was a play off War of the Ancients story which was in the game manual.

Screw Valve and that pile-of-shit steam and its fanboys.
    Don't know who to side with on this, but you DO realize that you called 3/4ths of the gaming community Steam fanboys just now, right? It's kind of, you know, POPULAR!

Or are you one of the few people who actually LIKE Origin?
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

Quote Originally Posted by Luph View Post
    Don't really see how anyone can make a case for Valve here.

The legalities are a gray area. The map editor's EULA does prohibit commercial use of things made in the editor, although I'm not if that can really be extend to simple names.

Still, Icefrog is not the owner of the DoTA name. In fact, the idea for the name "Defense of the Ancients" originally borrows from Warcraft 3 lore and was a play off War of the Ancients story which was in the game manual.
    And to add to that; Icefrog isn't even the original developer of the mod and he didn't come up with the name/acronym so he has zero claim to it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I don't pretend to have any legal knowledge, but it would be kind of silly if Valve could take the trademark for a game series that they've never made a product for until now. On an unrelated note, Starcraft Risk will be the best thing EVER. I'm totally buying that.
    Blizzard never made DotA either... it was made using their authoring tools and hosted on their service, but they contributed absolutely zero to its development. DotA belongs to Icefrog and his team.

Blizzard claiming to have the rights to DotA is like Craftsman claiming to have the rights to a house built using their tools.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selxxa View Post
    Valve is going to win this lawsuit. It's like if id tried to sue Valve over the Team Fortress name.
    Totally, because Team Fortress was totally a name that was originally given to a mod from a blizzard game, yeah, I see, completely the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron87 View Post
    Blizzard never made DotA either... it was made using their authoring tools and hosted on their service, but they contributed absolutely zero to its development. DotA belongs to Icefrog and his team.

Blizzard claiming to have the rights to DotA is like Craftsman claiming to have the rights to a house built using their tools.
    It is like a building company claiming to have the rights to a building built on their property using their tools and supplies with a clause saying "anything built using our stuff is ours".

Deleted
    Why would they want to have it for themselves when they've been fine with the way it has been for seven years?
    I thought Blizzard was doing something called Blizzard DotA? I just think Blizzards timing is a bit weird, didn't Valve trademark DotA 2 a while back? (At least I'd imagne they did, seeing how the name has been out there for a good while now.)

Blizzard has no issue with them calling it DotA 2, they have issue with valve trademarking DotA.