Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Lead developer is hardly ownership. It also completely ignores years of development by Eul, Guinsoo, contributing authors, the people that maintained the entire freaking community that fostered the games development, etc etc.

Regardless, it DOES matter that IceFrog didnt create it, because that means the term DotA was originally coined by Eul.
    Sure, but success has to have something to do with it. Guinsoo gave dota to icefrog like 6 years ago and if you compared that game to now you could argue that it is a completely different game. The years Icefrog has presided over dota have also been by far the most successful (in terms of new players and competitive scene).

You have to sympathize with Valve here. They are creating a game called DOTA 2 (they explained why they are calling it that) and if you are going to sink your company's time and money into something like this, you need to be able to control the name.
    Last edited by Disastor; 2012-02-11 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The plumber View Post
    It's impossible for Vavle to win, cuz originally the game was Blizzard's idea.
    Not really man. DOTA is and was originally a custom map for Warcraft 3. Blizzard had nothing to do with it, other than providing the engine it was built on. The DOTA map is technically Blizzard's because it was built using their game, but they don't own the DOTA name, nor do they have a special claim to it.

is wrong. That'd be one developer (Guinsoo).
    Didn't Guinsoo join Riot to make LoL, anyway?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

The EULA isn't legally binding, it's more like a guide line within their game that they placed the EULA. Blizzard states that they own anything that users create but that ownership is only within their game, so basically they could have taken over Dota inside Warcraft 3 at the time and there wouldn't have been a problem (I think something like this has already happened within Starcraft 2 but I'm not sure). So Dota isn't owned by Blizzard in any way so Valve will win this.
    Last edited by davep; 2012-02-11 at 06:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally always thought Valve's use of the name "DOTA" for a game was in very poor taste and always on testy grounds.League of Legends could have easily pulled that (and better mind you, because they have an actual DOTA developer), but they were in good taste and did not. I think there are certain things you don't do, and this is one of them. They should have left the name with Warcraft and gone original.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The EULA isn't legally binding, it's more like a guide line within their game that they placed the EULA. Blizzard states that they own anything that users create but that ownership is only within their game, so basically they could have taken over Dota inside Warcraft 3 at the time and there wouldn't have been a problem (I think something like this has already happened within Starcraft 2 but I'm not sure). So Dota isn't owned by Blizzard in any way so Valve will win this.
    But Blizzard doesn't want the DOTA trademark or is claiming that owns it. They simply want it to stay on public domain.

Can't grasp how people can support Valve on this over the entire human race.

Valve may have no tie in to DOTA to where Blizzard does, Blizz should have marketed that product 8 years ago if it wanted to turn a profit on it. Blizzard can claim that DOTA was originally made on there WC3 editor all they want but that only gives them rights to models and the likes. They cannot claim names other then titles of games they have produced or name of their company (which they stole themselves, I had a blizzard last night and it certainly didn't throw a bunch of WOW, starcraft and diablo at me). The guys that made the concept of what DOTA is today are the only ones who have the right to that name and that concept.

an example, If I was to make a warcraft 3 map and it just happened to be the most popular map ever on Bnet. Blizzard markets it, the problem is the map title was my first name. Blizzard now owns the right to my first name and anyone(inclduing myself) who uses that name for anything has to pay royalties to blizzard. yeah it doesn't work that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy029 View Post
    Valve may have no tie in to DOTA to where Blizzard does, Blizz should have marketed that product 8 years ago if it wanted to turn a profit on it. Blizzard can claim that DOTA was originally made on there WC3 editor all they want but that only gives them rights to models and the likes. They cannot claim names other then titles of games they have produced or name of their company (which they stole themselves, I had a blizzard last night and it certainly didn't throw a bunch of WOW, starcraft and diablo at me). The guys that made the concept of what DOTA is today are the only ones who have the right to that name and that concept.
    There is a lawsuit of one of the creators against Valve's trademarking.

Again, Blizzard isn't claiming anything, they want the name to be public domain, as it has been for the past 10 years.

To those in support of valve, what would happen if League of Legends got a trademark for the term "LoL"? This is the same situation and shouldn't be allowed. Yeah DOTA is a longer term but it's the same concept . Some of these comments are based on personal hate of blizzard more than anything else. For those that keeps saying "Blizzard doesn't care about the community" really needs to wake up...Blizzard was making patches for Diablo 2 well after the #s dwindled on sales. They still wanted to fix bugs and add stuff for their fans..That is dedication right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Those LoL guides kinda suck. They are barely guides to begin with, its just 'get these runes, these masteries and ow here are your ability's eventho you can see those ingame. A guide should teach you something, tell you hints and tricks. These are barely a summary. WoW classguides dont just have a talent calculator and a BiS gearlist either.
    You obviously didn't read any of the guide there. There are SEVEN separate pages to each guide. What you looked at was the first page which says "Quick Guide" there are 6 more tabs at the top of the guide with TONS of info for each Champion. Try using your eyes a bit.

Also. Don't has an apostrophe in it and in game, class guide and gear list are NOT compound words

Blizzard joined the naming dispute party simply because their oncoming Blizzard DOTA might end up needing a name change, if Valve will be given hold of the DOTA name permanently. That's the whole scene behind it. They will need to rename their Blizzard DOTA to something else, thus they will lose recognition that is the name DOTA. They're doing this just for their own profit, they wouldn't even bother disputing the name otherwise. The times when Blizzard cared bout community and shitnitz were over the day Activision put the hand in the bucket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Minus View Post
    Blizzard joined the naming dispute party simply because their oncoming Blizzard DOTA might end up needing a name change, if Valve will be given hold of the DOTA name permanently. That's the whole scene behind it. They will need to rename their Blizzard DOTA to something else, thus they will lose recognition that is the name DOTA. They're doing this just for their own profit, they wouldn't even bother disputing the name otherwise. The times when Blizzard cared bout community and shitnitz were over the day Activision put the hand in the bucket.
    It was called Blizzard All-Stars to avoid the DOTA fight before. But they decided to rename it to Blizzard DOTA. Rightfully so, if I may, since DOTA is a genre.

TSM guides are still better than lolpro guides

Kinda glad there still working on the mop talent calculator, im not 100% satisfied on the talents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    Kinda glad there still working on the mop talent calculator, im not 100% satisfied on the talents.
    MoP it's on pre-Alpha, the talents are going to be worked until the end of the Beta and even beyond.

Deleted
    Hi all ....may I ask something? If y pay with 6 x prepaid card can i have anual pass or need valid card for this offer? pls tell me im confuse!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Rain View Post
    Same here.

Valve hired the ORIGNAL creator (Eul) of Defense of the Ancients AND the current long term developer (IceFrog) who made dota what it is today.
    People saying Valve has no grounds and Blizzard is right are simply misinformed and/or have no clue.

Also,

is wrong. That'd be one developer (Guinsoo).
    Regardless its was made by using Blizzard's In World Editor and it was stated that anything that comes from that In-World Editor is theres regardless you couldn't play DOTA unless through Warcraft 3 thats a Blizzard game and Valve can't Trademark the name cause it has been in assoicated with Blizzard for 7 years no other company can use it without having Blizzard's permission, i bet if Valve asked they would prbly would of let them use it but they tried to sneak by with it andPlus Riot Games is on Blizzard's side and so are the creators of HoN, no one should be able to use the name DOTA except Blizzard doesn't matter who made it, they prbly had a contract with Blizzard stating even though there the creators of DOTA, its part property of Blizzard (BTW i played DOTA when it released and on the front screen it had Blizzard logo and the original Battle.net Logo are on there) Valve better start brainstorming names soon, this a fight they cant win.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-02-11 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    But Blizzard doesn't want the DOTA trademark or is claiming that owns it. They simply want it to stay on public domain.

Can't grasp how people can support Valve on this over the entire human race.

Sigh, go back and read what was posted- Blizz is not capable of making a claim against the term Dota; it's owner and user are established. For Blizz to claim that this mark is in the public domain is asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I personally always thought Valve's use of the name "DOTA" for a game was in very poor taste and always on testy grounds.League of Legends could have easily pulled that (and better mind you, because they have an actual DOTA developer), but they were in good taste and did not. I think there are certain things you don't do, and this is one of them. They should have left the name with Warcraft and gone original.
    LOL most idiotic remark I ever seen. That piece of shit game LoL do better than the master minds of valve? The people behind CS,L4D,portals, TF2, and so on. They can't do better than some piece of trash game that only has 3 maps ( 2 maps for how many years) from the year 2009? LOLOL. Get off the forums with trying to sound smart.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron87 View Post
    Blizzard never made DotA either... it was made using their authoring tools and hosted on their service, but they contributed absolutely zero to its development. DotA belongs to Icefrog and his team.

Blizzard claiming to have the rights to DotA is like Craftsman claiming to have the rights to a house built using their tools.
    Dota does not belong to Icefrog and his team. It belongs to an entire community of warcraft 3 mod players, and it should remain that way. And even if one person could claim ownership of DOTA, it wouldn't be icefrog.
    I'm afraid we have a slight apocalypse on our hands

Quote Originally Posted by Selxxa View Post
    Valve is going to win this lawsuit. It's like if id tried to sue Valve over the Team Fortress name.
    If Blizzard impedes Valve in any way from using the name Dota 2 then I'd cancel my subscription. That would be the last straw on the camel's back for me.