Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A question for the tanks who do core raiding

Hello, i play a prot warrior at the moment and i want to get into raiding and maybe one day start raid leading myself.

Theres one problem though when wanting to raid. For example: I dont want to do LFR because i dont know how to tank the bosses. And i dont know what i'll be like in Normal DS.

Im just wanting to know how you tanks learn the fights, find out what the strats are etc.. is there a website you look at before you start on a boss or what?

Google will usually turn up what you need. Also, the LFR is a joke for tanks since it's basically all taunt swapping at the right time, pretty basic stuff. There are also good people in LFR who will help you if you ask.

Oh, and I'm not trolling here, but googling the strat for any boss will yield what you are looking for. It's a great tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't tank anymore but if your just looking for strats learntoraid.com tankspot.com should fill your need.

Personally i prefer learn to raid over tankspot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally like to learn by just getting tossed into the fight. Tanking can be both reactive and proactive. Watching a fight can help you be proactive, but learning when you can and can't use cooldowns because you might need to save it for a different part of the encounter takes some actual attempts to figure out.

I think TankSpot still exists if you want to watch videos.

Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Quote Originally Posted by liothe View Post
    I don't tank anymore but if your just looking for strats learntoraid.com tankspot.com should fill your need.

Personally i prefer learn to raid over tankspot.
    Unless L2R has gotten decent beta/T11, I'd stick with Tankspot. I couldn't handle watching L2R videos since they were almost always a wipe with the guy laughing "looooool don't do what we did, hope you liked the video, we'll get it down next week LOL"
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

10+ Year Old Account
    started watching them in FL so, id say they have changed.

Deleted
    Well finding a guide, ideally tank specific for each fight on youtube could be a help.
    Reading up on what mechanichs to expect is also a good thing.
    but mostly it's just about actually seeing the fight, and getting some experience.
    I personally hadn't read up on any of the DS fights until an hour before our raid when it came out and never managed to see more than the first platform on Madness and we still pretty much one-shot every fight (some including 9manning due to DCs and the like).

Once you've had a tier or maybe more to tank in and you've tanked all the fights you start getting the hang on how to deal with different mechanics, these will not (always) be the same the next tier, but you should figure out how to handle them from previous experience which I believe is the number #1 factor to becoming a tank - experience.
    So read up, possibly watch a video and then just try.

Look up tank PoV's as well as guides to the fights. Observe what they do, and how they handle different situations. But as a tank, nothing is better than actually getting in there, and doing the fight yourself. Through personal experience, you can perfect your CD rotations for bosses and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpalmo View Post
    Hello, i play a prot warrior at the moment and i want to get into raiding and maybe one day start raid leading myself.

Theres one problem though when wanting to raid. For example: I dont want to do LFR because i dont know how to tank the bosses. And i dont know what i'll be like in Normal DS.

Im just wanting to know how you tanks learn the fights, find out what the strats are etc.. is there a website you look at before you start on a boss or what?
    Google tactics on the bosses. I once upon a time found a site that gave a fight overview and also fight tactics for the role you are. That helped me in DS.

But in general the only way to find out is to cut your teeth on something. Do heroics, then LFR and PuG a BH. If you can handle those, LFR aside, without wiping a bunch you can tank it fine. Just remember that while taunt is something never to rely on keep it on your bar.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Corysi View Post
    Unless L2R has gotten decent beta/T11, I'd stick with Tankspot. I couldn't handle watching L2R videos since they were almost always a wipe with the guy laughing "looooool don't do what we did, hope you liked the video, we'll get it down next week LOL"
    You do know that the video's are from a guild that finished 6th in T11, 5th in T12 and 11th in T13 world wide right? While I agree the video's aren't always perfect as they sometimes miss some things you can hardly say they're made by bad players who wipe on stuff for weeks.

When it comes to learning strategies for new bosses, looking up some guides/video's is always a good place to start. You can also ask the other tank in LFR or another person that seems decent to give you a few pointers for every fight, not everyone might be willing to though.

Edit: While you will help yourself and others out by being prepared, and you shouldn't go in without knowing anything. It is only LFR afterall with random (often bad) people. I'm a perfectionist myself so I understand if it maybe doesn't feel totally right, but you can always just give it a shot and leave if you're too much fo a hinderance to the group. It will probably go just fine if you get a few pointers from someone decent.

Deleted
    I dont want to do LFR because i dont know how to tank the bosses.
    LFR must be the biggest joke ever on the entire online gaming scene. Why would you worry about that? If you are aware of the basic mechanics of your class you will have absolutely no problem whatsoever. The little strategy you will need to manage are typically "taunt the boss from your offtank if he's getting screwed by stacks". Difficult, huh? A lot of fights can be solo-tanked in LFR, like Mor'chok, Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj, hagara (wich is a solo tanking fight anyway) and spine. Even on blackhorn or ultraxion, or even madness, you will only need from your offtank to be able to generate threat. I didn't said he will need to taunt. Nope! He just have to be the second in omen behind you. And you're done. If you, as a MT, have the few tools for it (wether with your character or in your raid group) it is THAT simple.

And i dont know what i'll be like in Normal DS.
    Normal DS is to lfr what driving a modest car is to push a supermarket caddie.

If you don't know how to tank the bosses you can:
    - read the codex. Provides good info about the mechanics.
    - watch videos with a tank POV. Especially videos with integrated commentaries
    - Read tankspot or other sites. Tyically just search the web for "Mor'chok strategy" and you'll find pleeeenty of these sites explaining very well what you have to know and do on this fight. Not like if it was hard anyway.

Reading sites. Watching videos. Searching for advices online. Asking tank mates on server "Hey dude how did you managed third part during this fight? etc etc"

And most important: TRY OUT THE REAL THING.

You seems to be affraid of tanking if I judge it by your words. Don't be. Currently it is harder to be a dps beast than a decent tank. No fake. Tanking has never be so easy. You just have to use cd's when needed, have a good overview of the fights and phases involved (aka: see the big picture) use some bossmod for boss cooldowns alerts (helpful, even if you will only really need it on hardmode, honestly) and that's it.

Well, there's TankSpot, wowwiki, etc. There's also the Dungeon Journal.

One thing I used to do, if I was going into a raid I had never been before, as a pug, was go DPS. DPS until you feel like you have learned the fight a bit, and then try your hand at tanking it. Works like a charm. Or, you could just jump right in and dare to make mistakes. If you choose this option, just make sure to be the off-tank. If you are lucky enough to get a good MT, you can learn a thing or two. There's not shame in being an OT, especially if you are just learning. Now go grab those adds, and remember to keep Rend up!

Deleted

Umm watch one of the million video guides out there? Read the dungeon journal? Queue as a dps and see what other tanks do? Honestly, if you can't figure out how to learn strats on your own, how will you ever be able to raid lead? I mean, when you raid lead, you'd need to not only know your own role but also the role of others.

Icey veins has awesome guides.
    Also I prefer Vox immortal guides.
    Once you learn the basics from these places you have to jump in and get your feet wet.

a lot of things u jus have to learn.. im sure tankspot probly doesnt mention zon'ozz actually hits really frickin hard with focused anger lol.. anyway a quick rundown
    morchok - taunt on 2-3 sometimes its solo tanked jus be sure to know.. morchok enrages at 25% so save a few cds for that
    zonozz' as said above every stack he gains hes gonna start beating on u like a .... crazy mofo
    yorsarj - this guy really doesnt do much he waves his hands at u mostly just know if u get yellow combo hes gonna start shooting void bolt lots.. normally 2tanked most taunt off 3-4 stacks but when oozes are out the boss wont shoot void bolt at u until they reach him so ur stacks fall off quite easily
    hagara- just run away from focused assault by sidestepping and of course avoid ice waves
    ultraxion - one tank must always be "tanking" an hour of twilight (use cds for that). taunt when ur other tank has fading light
    warmaster blackhorn - alternate which adds u pickup u do not want to get 20 stacks of dread blade.. so alternate a dreadblade and the other dude.. sunder armor hits hard usually take 1-2 stacks then taunt.. and avoid shockwave at all costs.. warmaster rapes at 25% hp and below so be careful
    spine - this is a joke just pickup the almags each time a corruption dies and feed it blood when raid leader says so.. the almag enrages at 9 stacks so be prepared
    madness - basically save cds for impale thats mostly it.. u need to survive a 400k hit in normal so make good use of dream for the first platform.. the other tank will taunt once u get impaled.. n stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before the massive influx of gear, 5-mans, and then in BC 5-man heroics were the way tanks were tested, especially with pugs. I recommend taking some gear off and running heroics, then you learn how to handle most situations as a tank.

Tanking requires finesse, and as something I have been doing for seven years, I can say it's not something you can teach anyone else, you need a good UI, good reaction time, and good common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinedoom View Post
    You do know that the video's are from a guild that finished 6th in T11, 5th in T12 and 11th in T13 world wide right? While I agree the video's aren't always perfect as they sometimes miss some things you can hardly say they're made by bad players who wipe on stuff for weeks.

When it comes to learning strategies for new bosses, looking up some guides/video's is always a good place to start. You can also ask the other tank in LFR or another person that seems decent to give you a few pointers for every fight, not everyone might be willing to though.

Edit: While you will help yourself and others out by being prepared, and you shouldn't go in without knowing anything. It is only LFR afterall with random (often bad) people. I'm a perfectionist myself so I understand if it maybe doesn't feel totally right, but you can always just give it a shot and leave if you're too much fo a hinderance to the group. It will probably go just fine if you get a few pointers from someone decent.
    They could be world first, but if they put out shitty videos that only show you how to wipe and play like shit, it doesn't matter. They're fully capable of showing a kill video instead of wiping. Until that changes, Tankspot will be superior most of the time. (Admittedly, Tankspot has had a few "we didn't kill it, but these are the tactics" videos over the years.)
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything in DS is pretty simple. I'm a core raiding tank. I tank just 4 encounters (will be 5 when we get more heroics down).

Quick Tank Guide:
    Morchok: Taunt after 2 or 3 stacks of the armor debuff.

Zon'Ozz. Face the boss towards the raid until the orb spawns, then face him away. Do this every time after a black phase and one at the beginning of the fight.

Yor'Sahj. Use cooldowns during ooze phases when you get a fair amount of Void Bolt stacks. Your stacks reset as new oozes go toward boss.

Hagara. Kite her when she starts Focused Assault, otherwise use a cooldown (you won't have a c/d up every time).

Ultraxion. Save a cooldown for every other Hour of Twilgiht. Be sure to click your Heroic Will (A button added to your UI for this encounter) when you are not supposed to take the Hour of Twilight. When Fading Light (a debuff placed on a tank + random DPS) be sure to look at the timer and click Heroic Will ~2 seconds before it expires.

Warmaster: 2 different melee adds. You and your tank should be attacking opposite adds each time. For Example: Dreadblade and Slayer. You tank the Dreadblade the first time. When the next set of adds come, you will be tanking the slayer. In Phase 2, position the boss in the center of the ship (so that people won't get stuck in Shockwave. Be sure to avoid flame patches while also not dragging the boss too far away from players which makes it hard for them to move out of shockwave. Swap the boss with your tank as soon as he gets a debuff. From there, you just taunt back whenever your debuffs fade.

Spine: Kill 2 tentacles and roll. Kill a third tentacle after roll. Start DPSing the first Amalgamation. There are little oozes running around, let your DPS kill them. Once your Amalgamation gets to ~20%, run around and gather the ooze patches on the ground (left there once an ooze dies). Bring the amalgamation to 9 stacks and park him against Deathwing's plate. Repeat this 3 times.

Madness: You will be tanking the Tentacles with your other tank. As soon as impale is being cast, the other tank taunts. It's REQUIRED to pop a big cooldown when Impale comes out, or else you will die. After tentacle and Bolt are down, be ready to gather up oozes once Hemorrhage is cast. Repeat this 4 times and you'll be in p2. In p2, you and your OT will be tanking big adds. They give you a stacking buff THAT HURTS. Have all DPS focus one big add down. The tank tanking the big add that dies waits until his stacks fall (short duration, maybe 6 sec?) and then taunts your add off so your debuff can reset. Repeat this 2 times, and deathwing should be down.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Deleted
    Ive played warrior since vanilla, im back to tanking now on this tier and have done 8/8hc. Just talk with your raid on each boss and check dungeon journal etc, know what to expect. It also helps alot if youre calm person, it can also soothe the raid. You will learn what to do after some pulls, and get new ideas with your team mates. You are somewhat also in charge of things, so be clear and dont troll around =P.

Also as tank you might want 100% attendance or close to that. Take it easy is all I can say =). Its fun and games afterall.