Really can't decide, help please?

Rolled an alt, and trying to decide what professions to get:

*Only toon on that server

*MS Tank, OS dps.

*Blood Elf DK

Any suggestions? Trying to get the ones that will give best stat boosts, but might have to have at least gathering profession.

Deleted
    I'd go with Mining and BS if you need to have a gathering profession, quite expensive otherwise. Mining = exp whilst you level (if still levelling) + mats to make your stuff with + good profit from excess mats. BS = make your own gear whilst levelling, stats boost from extra gem socket at max level. Once you hit max BS/85 you could drop mining for something else with good stats, I favour enchanting or JC. Jc though is a bit lower in stats at the moment but this may change

If you intend to drop Mining at max level for enchanting... keep all the green stuff you make whilst levelling BS and you'll have a nice pool of mats to get you started

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I'd go with Mining and BS if you need to have a gathering profession, quite expensive otherwise. Mining = exp whilst you level (if still levelling) + mats to make your stuff with + good profit from excess mats. BS = make your own gear whilst levelling, stats boost from extra gem socket at max level. Once you hit max BS/85 you could drop mining for something else with good stats, I favour enchanting or JC. Jc though is a bit lower in stats at the moment but this may change

If you intend to drop Mining at max level for enchanting... keep all the green stuff you make whilst levelling BS and you'll have a nice pool of mats to get you started
    Listen to the mod. Do it.

Ty very much, I was leaning most towards that idea actually, maybe even dropping Mining for Enchanting later. BS gives me and actual bonus to Mastery over just stam too, which is nice, and the highest bonues I can get if I DO get enough epic gems on the toon eventually.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    BS is the best profession right now because of epic gems, and jewelcrafting is sadly one of the worst. For tanking mining is the best gathering profession if you want one but most of the other ones (Enchanting, inscription, LW) will give you stats. For tanking all you really need is stam though so I think 60 stam ring enchants and BS are the best right now.

Well to be quite honest I wouldn't do what the mod said. First things first. To level BS you need a ton of bars which results in ton of farming. I wouldn't waste so much time on those. BS is only going to be the best profession till the end of the expansion and only if you are fully decked in Epic Gems. The worst part about BS is that you hardly make any of that gold back. You will probably end up vendoring all those green BoEs that you craft. You could get lucky with a couple of Blue BoEs. And another thing, the worst part to level BS is definitely during the TBC phase where you need around 300+ Fel Iron bars. That is like 600 ores. It gets even worse once you get into WTLK.

However, what I would recommend is to level Jewelcrafting. Most of the mats can be found on the AH for really cheap prices. You don't even need to farm to level JC. After 300 skill level you basically level JC by cutting gems which saves you a ton of time and other resources. You can literally get those gems on the AH for 1-2G each and sell them for a profit because mostly everyone uses gems after 60+. Another reason which is probably the most important, is that for a tank JC is probably the best profession in the game. No other profession allows you to gem for pure mastery. You will be able to socket 3 x 67 = do the mats. This will also help you down the road into the next expansion. NO other profession allows you to gem for pure mastery. That is the most important stat tanks gem for. So therefore I highly recommend to take JC with mining as you get the added stam bonus from mining

P.S People that are recommending BS are mostly min/maxers who theory craft every 1-2 points here and there. I doubt you will even get a chance to be able to acquire all the right epic gems you would need to make BS the best profession for you. These are the same people that are going to be dropping BS when the new expansion roles and pick another one because they min/max. I doubt you would be doing it. So don't take BS and level JC instead. There is also a bigger market for JC.
    Last edited by wynterlyn; 2012-02-14 at 11:54 PM.

Deleted
    Mining, definitely. Then, since it's your only toon on the server, I would actually level up herbalism at the same time as mining (really easy to farm both). The whole 1-525 herbalism process will give you tons of gold on that server. Save everything you mine. Then if you're happy with your gold, you can drop herbalism and make use of your mining mats to level either BS, Engi or JC.

- If you plan to raid a lot at the highest level with that toon, go BS.
    - If you want to make money in the future, and are prepared to do a daily quest every day, go JC.
    - If you want a great all-around profession, go Engi.

My 2 cents.