Poll: What Voice Chat program

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Mumble ten chars

Deleted
    Been using Teamspeak since classic and even befor i started wow me and a few friends used it everyday.

Every guild I have been in apart from one has used ventrilo so im used to it and prefer it. That one different guild used Teamspeak 3

Ventrillo and TS.

Quote Originally Posted by Draeblin View Post
    Well the person who sponsored our vent no longer plays so we now have to use skype because it's the only program that does not require payment.
    Mumble is free as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    Mumble is free as well.
    How do u get a free mumble server?

Ventrilo since over 4years now

Deleted
    Mumble - 10 man guild

Mumble, 10 man, but I prefer Ventrilo.

Mumble is annoying to get going the first time, as it's not exactly user friendly. We spend a lot more time now getting Mumble working for other guildies than I've ever spent trying to get users on Ventrilo. Also, since Vent seems to be the more common choice of program, it's easier to get pug users into Vent than into Mumble. I would never ask someone to install Mumble "real quick" to get them into voice chat for something.

Sound quality randomly dives so that people become robots. It's not as bad as Skype, but it can sometimes be pretty bad.
    Fewer options, I don't even think I can set a phonetic for my name...And no individual user volume control. This is EXTREMELY important to me, as a couple of my guildies are especially loud. Ventrilo's volume control is far superior.

It was tough to learn my guildie's voices the first time around, because it was a huge pain to get Mumble's overlay feature to even show up properly. Meanwhile, my husband would have to entirely restart Mumble and WoW in a certain order just to get his mic to register in Mumble. I have no idea where in the system Mumble is digging its dirty little fingers in order to cause that, but at least Ventrilo works straight "out of the box" for 99% of people.

I can't imagine anything as bad as Skype 25-man though.
    I hate Skype 2-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpalmo View Post
    How do u get a free mumble server?
    You can install the server and host it on your PC, it comes with the normal installer.

25m - Were using Ventrilo for quite a time but recently changed to TS3.

Deleted
    I have used Vent and Teamspeak in the past but my current guild uses Mumble and it seems far superior in sound quality and lag.

Mumble.

I've always hated Teamspeak for some reason, I don't know why. Most of my guilds during the seven years I've played used Ventrillo, that might be why.
    Me sorry. Not do bad again, honest. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowspace View Post
    Mumble, 10 man, but I prefer Ventrilo.

Mumble is annoying to get going the first time, as it's not exactly user friendly. We spend a lot more time now getting Mumble working for other guildies than I've ever spent trying to get users on Ventrilo. Also, since Vent seems to be the more common choice of program, it's easier to get pug users into Vent than into Mumble. I would never ask someone to install Mumble "real quick" to get them into voice chat for something.

Sound quality randomly dives so that people become robots. It's not as bad as Skype, but it can sometimes be pretty bad.
    Fewer options, I don't even think I can set a phonetic for my name...And no individual user volume control. This is EXTREMELY important to me, as a couple of my guildies are especially loud. Ventrilo's volume control is far superior.

It was tough to learn my guildie's voices the first time around, because it was a huge pain to get Mumble's overlay feature to even show up properly. Meanwhile, my husband would have to entirely restart Mumble and WoW in a certain order just to get his mic to register in Mumble. I have no idea where in the system Mumble is digging its dirty little fingers in order to cause that, but at least Ventrilo works straight "out of the box" for 99% of people.

I can't imagine anything as bad as Skype 25-man though.
    I hate Skype 2-man.
    I agree with your complaints about Mumble, but I still prefer it over Ventrillo. I had that annoyance with the mic not working as well, but I realized that if I plugged in my mic first, started Mumble second, and launched WoW third, the mic and overlay would work just fine. And it is a pain pugging when so many people use Ventrillo, because Mumble gives so many people problems, ever though it's not that much different from entering Ventrillo info. We kinda used it as a reading comprehension test in my guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    TS3

Wondering why it wasn't included in the poll since it's quite popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ventrilo (25man), we use it just to talk to each other even when we aren't raiding.

Ventrilo. (25man)

Mumble is annoying. If I don't understand 50% of what someone says because he's turned into a robot, quality wouldn't matter now, would it?

Deleted
    We recently switched from Ventrilo to Mumble as our Vent subscription was due for renewal and decided to shop around.

The Mumble Server is totally free to download/install - and I'm already paying for a hosted linux server for our guild forums anyway so I installed the Mumble server on that and it's been fine so far.

Only issue is not being able to manually manipulate the volume of an individual, apparently mumble attempts to normalize everybody but we've got a raider who keeps his voice down due to there being a sleeping baby next door - and we sometimes struggle to hear him in the middle of a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main group uses vent.
    Second group uses mumble (I prefer mumble).

Going to vote for vent, since It's my main group.

I took our GM in my guild and it is 10man but the old GM is kind enough to let us use his Vent (it can fit like way more than 25 ppl) even though he does not raid with the guild anymore XD