Heroic Spine 25m

Hi guys. I'm going frost for the excellent burst on tendons. Is it still the case you don't need expertise at all for this fight? Also, would it be better to go DW or 2H for the fight since 2H seems to lose less from the lack of expertise when DPSing on everything else. It seems like the other DK does slightly better tendon damage better as 2H than I do. He has slightly better gear though which may account for that. The weapons I would be using are 2x H Hand of Morchok or 403 Gurth. The set up I am using atm is in my sig.

Note: I plan on getting the VP trinket to replace Creche next week.

The tentacles don't dodge/parry but the Amalgamations still do, depending on your raid set up you may or may not want to drop expertise. We ran with 3 rogues and 4 arcane mages for this so I chose not to lose expertise and still did over 1 million per burst phase. You want to stick with dual yield because Gurth proc is so random it may or may not proc. You want to be able to put sustained damage on the tentacle for those ~23 seconds. You should definitely use the VP trinket and Eye of unmaking. Make sure you keep eye of unmaking fully stacked up to 9 consistently, whether you have to beat on a blood with auto attacks to keep 9 stacks of whatever. If you are an engineer, remember that the VP trinket and the gloves do not stack, so make sure you use the VP first with your macro if you are an engineer.

I don't know how your 2 handed friend is beating you, maybe you aren't maximizing your rotation properly for that burst.

He has several pieces of heroic tier gear and the vp trink. We are genrally very close ~1M per burst. I do have the eye of unmaking already and I learned very quickly to make sure I had full stakcs so I could pop my ghoul off the bat. Generally the difference in our damage is the amount of damage his ghoul does compared to mine. This is probably bc his snapshot with the rotting skull is very high. We've only been working on this 1.5 nights so everyone is still learning ways to pump out max dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seruketo View Post
    He has several pieces of heroic tier gear and the vp trink. We are genrally very close ~1M per burst. I do have the eye of unmaking already and I learned very quickly to make sure I had full stakcs so I could pop my ghoul off the bat. Generally the difference in our damage is the amount of damage his ghoul does compared to mine. This is probably bc his snapshot with the rotting skull is very high. We've only been working on this 1.5 nights so everyone is still learning ways to pump out max dps.

how to pump out max dps? Um... you do your rotation, do classes really change their rotation based on burst? You pop your CDs and goto town. Know that obliterate hits harder than anything. You shouldn't have to howling blast rime procs at all ever during that time frame. Just work on obliterating and frost striking. Make sure you make use of Empower Rune Weapon during the 1st tendon to be able to use it on the 4th or later tendon. Ideally you want to use Empower Rune Weapon again when you make use of your golemblood potion. Key management will be using KM procs with your Obliterate over Frost Strike, but is minor. Ghoul shouldn't' be a huge difference in damage to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyelcaner View Post
    how to pump out max dps? Um... you do your rotation, do classes really change their rotation based on burst? You pop your CDs and goto town. Know that obliterate hits harder than anything. You shouldn't have to howling blast rime procs at all ever during that time frame. Just work on obliterating and frost striking. Make sure you make use of Empower Rune Weapon during the 1st tendon to be able to use it on the 4th or later tendon. Ideally you want to use Empower Rune Weapon again when you make use of your golemblood potion. Key management will be using KM procs with your Obliterate over Frost Strike, but is minor. Ghoul shouldn't' be a huge difference in damage to be honest.
    Well I've playe dunholy isnce about mid firelands so like I said, I am learning how to maximize my dps. Thanks for the tips. I was using rime procs as they came up. I'll just ignore them for Obliterate and FS.

dnt want to make another thread but since we are on topic how bad is unholy compared to frost here i mean if u time ur timmy with the tendon and u get ur gargoyle up during the nuclear blast with vp trinket is the burst still bad compard to frost im too unholy since firelands and never played a dk before it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go masterfrost and reforge all your expertise and haste to mastery. With 2300+ mastery and 4 set bonus, frost strike does more damage than obliterate. Prioritise killing machines and only use non-km obliterates when you have 2 unholy runes or 5+ runes up, use howling blast/rime as filler while waiting for a KM proc. Depending on your strategy, the extra mastery is very good when you need to aoe down any necessary bloods, so you are basically losing nothing. If you are doing at least 1 million damage per tendon phase (especially the first), you are doing a good job.

Use vp trinket and keep your Eye of Unmaking stacked before engaging the tendons, autoattack a full hp blood while waiting for the amalga to explode. Seeing as you are an engineer, vp trinket doesnt stack with synapse springs, so you need to hit synapse the second your trinket goes off. Also very vital, make sure you have full runes and 60+ rp before engaging the tendon.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2012-02-12 at 12:13 PM.

Amalgamation DPS is the most important part of this fight post nerf. This being said, I suggest about 10-15 expertise and the stat priority of haste>mastery>crit.

Thanks for the tips everyone. As far as going UH on this fight, I think it's almost out of the question. But I'll let people with some more experience on kills answer that one =p