Lowering resolution, choppy graphics (Dota 2 and others)

Hello, recently I have been wondering the following(I am not expert, I do have some basic knowledge of how things go, but that's it) -

(Taking Dota2 as an example) - My desktop runs 1920/1080 resolution, same as WoW. Graphics on both Desktop and WoW are superb, everything is super smooth, great FPS etc. The problem with Dota 2 in my case is that it hogs the PC a lot for some reason(perhaps because graphics are preset and you can't change much).

What I am looking for is, could I reduce the resolution without making everything look horrendous - by that I mean for example letters and the borders of graphics all look very bad(far from smooth), they are sharp-ish, and it also heavy on the eyes after playing for 2-3 hours.

TLDR: Can you lower the resolution in Dota2 while having texts and graphic borders with smooth edges?

Thanks in advance, any helps are highly appreciated!

That's the idea behind higher resolutions, they decrease pixel size and reduce jagged edges. You could possibly crank up the antialiasing to remove the jaggies, but that would just drop performance down to the level of higher resolution play anyway :P

What are you running in your computer with regards to CPU, video card, RAM?
    Super casual.

Your problem comes from the fact that all LCD screens need to be used at their native resolution (yours at 1920x1080) or it will look shit unless it has exceptionally good scaler.

Only fix is to play in windowed mode, and have window smaller than the screen.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i run a duo core 4ghz
    4gb ram
    512mb video radeon hd

With WoW i have no issues, having 40+ fps during boss fights like madness for example. with Dota2 it usually runs smooth(on 4:3 1200/780 or smth close to that, dont remember), but sometimes it causes fps spikes and its pretty bad.

@vesseblah - how exactly could I turn Dota 2 to windowed mode and not maximized? I remember there was some command like -windowed on shortcut, but that was for maximized windows or something?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Chances are your FPS issues is due to your hardware. Just saying a 512mb radeon vid card doesn't tell us much, we need model numbers for items.

You can try a lower screen resolution but without knowing your exact hardware no one can help you out.