Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There cannot be much discussion. You don't pay, you don't play.

Owner of private servers that receive fees or donations must be prosecuted, fined with property confiscation.

It sounds more like you guy like saving money than spending it, and that clouds your judgement.

Even if you can't physically TAKE what Blizzard is making/selling, you are still taking something without permission. They ( meaning Blizzard) worked, thought, drew, created, WHATEVER, and copyrighted it etc. THEY own it. People who run Private servers DO make money through donations and whatnot.

Revenue should come from the box, not from annual fee's.. GW1 and GW2 in future have proven and will prove monthly fee's are out of date and not appropriate anymore.
    Really dude? You can't compare FPS's to MMO's. Thats silly. Fine, how about they take sub fees away and with it take away ALL the support they do with it.

Why don't we just pirate every game? 60 dollars is way too much!

What it all comes down to, is how would you like it? Plus think about the Free to Play games and how TERRIBLE most of them are.

Quote Originally Posted by Glomp View Post
    Piracy is not immoral and is not theft. Piracy does not cause lost sales, most people who pirate stuff would have never bought it anyway. Here's some shocking news for you, people like spending money on things they enjoy!
    Of course they would buy it if they could not get it for free. But the quantity of people who buys licensed copies in lieu of counterfeit ones is negligible, and you cannot apologate the piracy basing on this.

Stealing information without author's permission is irrecoverable loss for the author. It cannot be justified in any way.

Well, I don't think it's "that bad" but if one day Blizzard decide to shut your private server down then don't blame them.

Field Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Of course they would buy it if they could not get it for free. But the quantity of people who buys licensed copies in lieu of counterfeit ones is negligible, and you cannot apologate the piracy basing on this.

Stealing information without author's permission is irrecoverable loss for the author. It cannot be justified in any way.
    No they would not buy it. That is the whole point - if it would be about Cataclysm official and Cataclysm private servers it would be a different conversation. But if one wants to play vanilla wow, he won't just go buy a cataclysm wow, simply because it is also WoW. Once again I don't want to make it sound that online piracy is the best way to go, but keep an open mind and think a bit about what exactly one wishes - and it definitely isn't WoW: Cataclysm.

Unequivocally morally wrong. I'm not saying it's a mortal sin, or that people who use them are "bad people", but any argument here is just justification for theft. Blizzard created the worlds on which these servers are based and you, in using these worlds without paying for them, are benefitting from their hard work with no compensation for them. Fine, they may not lose money by you doing so for any number of reasons, but if someone provides a service they can expect to be paid for it.

It's the same as downloading films and music. You may be able to justify it to yourself, but there's no way of making it morally right. That isn't to say you shouldn't do it if that's what you want to do. A great many things that we do every day are morally wrong, if you can accept that then it's fine.

But, and this is the biggest point, disliking someone or disagreeing with something that they've done is the worst possible example of shameless self justification. If you're okay with stealing, then be okay with it accepting what you're doing. Don't pretend that you're on some righteous crusade against the greedy by stealing from them.

High Overlord
    Yeah... People who run private servers take donations (running a server isn't free you know...) They make money out of it. in return they give people items/powers that unbalances the game so the only way it is fun is if you make donations yourself to get said items. Thus the people who run the server make even more money.

Argue about it as much as you want to make yourself feel better about yourselkf, Private servers are wrong, they are mostly for people who fail at WoW and want somewhere, where they can pay $$ to be better then everybody else so they can stroke their epeen.

Vanilla is gone, just get over it instead of wasting your time playing on buggy unbalanced servers, which only purpose is to fill the pokets of somebody with no creativity of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    So it's OK to steal something that someone doesn't want to sell to you? Talk about rotten.
    It's not like that, sure it's wrong to play on a private server from your perspective, but it isn't stealing per say, stealing is taking something that has had a price, Vanilla WoW is something that doesn't exist anymore, it's not in Blizzard's grasp anymore, it's pretty much like playing a cancelled game. That and I like to take a shit on Blizzard, they don't know how to run their own game anymore, so I called it quits. Yes, they're right about private servers being wrong, and my action is wrong too, but to be honest, I couldn't care less about Blizzard now a' days.

I have always been active in private servers with MMO's once they go along the way side. As in once they are usually considered "dead". When you look at it vanilla is pretty much dead and gone -- and Blizzard has stated over and over they simply refused to have roll back server so they created the market for people to go play there instead. So if Blizzard refuses to spend the chump change some guy in a basement is willing to spend (amazing 40-50k a year guys can afford it but billion dollar blizzard has its knees knocking over it) then it shouldn't be that big of a problem -- as long as no one is making money off a former blizzard product.

as long as no one is making money off a former blizzard product.

But they are making money off of former blizzard products.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    But they are making money off of former blizzard products.
    Prove it. I don't see them selling anything

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    FYI, Blizz won a HUGE lawsuit over a married couple I think running a private server. Millions of dollars. Google it bud.
    they probably had features that costed money, it's not like they were running their server out of the goodness of their hearts and love of the game
    Sunglasses and Advil, last night was mad real. Sun coming up, 5 a.m., I wonder if they got cabs still?
    Thinking 'bout the girl in all leopard who was rubbing the wood like Kiki Shepherd
    Two tattoos: one read "No Apologies". The other said "Love is Cursed by Monogamy"

If you REALLY REALLY cannot resist playing on a vanilla server I feel like you should sub to the real wow (15 a month) and then log onto your private server.

At least this way you are paying the actual creators of the software you are using. Kinda like owning a CD but downloading the same songs off the internet.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -Yarma

Prove it. I don't see them selling anything

Selling something IS NOT the only way to make money.

But either way. Pretend if you want. You can "Give donations" to earn extra products.

Blizzard has been winning lawsuits against people hosting private servers. Is that proof enough?

ww w.games.slashdot.org/story/10/08/15/046250/blizzard-sues-private-server-company-awarded-88m

Morals are a funny thing. Playing on a private server violates the EULA and Blizzard certainly won't approve of it. But if one plays on a private server anyway, with no remorse or regret even if you know it's "wrong," then I think it's fair to say that it doesn't go against your personal morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerys View Post
    Unequivocally morally wrong. I'm not saying it's a mortal sin, or that people who use them are "bad people", but any argument here is just justification for theft. Blizzard created the worlds on which these servers are based and you, in using these worlds without paying for them, are benefitting from their hard work with no compensation for them. Fine, they may not lose money by you doing so for any number of reasons, but if someone provides a service they can expect to be paid for it.
    Devil's advocate: what if they played on the vanilla PS, but maintained an active WoW subscription? Is playing on the private server the bad part or the creators not getting paid?

Personally I find it to be a pretty grey area. Firstly, the intellectual rights still belong to Blizzard, they're the ones who created it in the first place after all. However, it's a service that's no longer being provided, so do Vanilla PS's actually "steal" customers from Blizzard and thus causing Blizzard to lose some potential income? If I'm in Blizzard's shoes, vanilla servers are probably the last in my list to sue or try to shut down compared to current content PS or hack/bot companies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    If you REALLY REALLY cannot resist playing on a vanilla server I feel like you should sub to the real wow (15 a month) and then log onto your private server.

At least this way you are paying the actual creators of the software you are using. Kinda like owning a CD but downloading the same songs off the internet.
    Why should I pay for a product that I don't want to play in any form (retail) when I can play a product I want to play and find enjoyable (vanilla private server) and Blizzard doesn't provide such product?

It's Blizzard's own fault for not wanting my cash by creating a product I would invest into. And as long as they don't I see no point paying to them over nothing.[COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-02-12 at 04:12 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I used to play on PSers also for a bit (while playing retail wow at the same time) but i decided to stop playing on them, becuase they were quite unstable... They are WAAAY more buggy compared to WoW, there isn't a dedicated team to fixing bugs so it's quite annoying to play on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherios View Post
    I cant talk bad about private servers, because if it wasnt for them, i wouldnt have bought WoW in the first place.

It may be a shit for you, but its something for other people. From where i come, (and to my understanding, the whole Latin American region), paying a montly fee for a game is still looked as a crazy nerdy behavior.
    When i ask most people here if they play wow, and they happen to answer yes, they immediately ask me in which private server i play. And im like "no, i play in the retail server", and they are like O.o!.
    thats the case here aswell
    Velen: I think your God may just be one of our Gods and you just don't know it.
    Tyrande: Well, I think our Goddess may have crafted your Gods in her spare time.
    Velen and Tyrande: ....
    Velen: Yeah, well...I'm just gonna go.
    Tyrande: Bye.
    *Velen starts walking toward the portal back to Exodar*
    Velen: Your grandmother was a Troll, by the way.
    Tyrande: SENTINELS!!!