Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    So theft's fine, as long as it's from a guy you don't like.

It's their IP, their technology, their creative license, so it's theft to me. Could probably argue that if they were not making any profit off of it, it would be ok. I might even agree (it's sort of a moral grey area...), unless they're running 4.3, in which case, they'd be causing Blizzard a loss of profit, which would then still be infringing on their license as well.
    actually if you payed $20 for the game, $50 for wrath, 50 cata, 50 bc, then you payed for t he game and are free to join private servers if you so will. the $15 a month is for the privledge to join their awesome blizzard servers.

and from my experience private servers are complete garbage using the same code made by 1 guy selling it out for $300 a pop with all sorts of crappy starting gear and gear named [@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Warglaive]

For players it's a grey zone...
    It's not really morally correct to use such a "service" as a PS, but seeing as Blizz doesn't provide such as service, it's kinda understandable that players use it...

For the creators of those servers it's not morally grey though, it's plain illegal. They are not allowed to use Blizzards artwork, code, etc. but still use it, hence it's illegal, yadda yadda...

Personally I don't approve of private servers, because I think it's wrong to break copyright-laws just because your favorite product isn't continued... and because the quality is quite sucky in most cases... but I don't condemn players using those private servers either... it's complicated.

I'd love for someone to please explain how a private vanilla server is "piracy" when you are paying for an active WoW sub. It's not, because you're paying and playing what you're entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sersel View Post

How does one compare something that can't be copied to something that can? That makes no sense at all to me.

My god people and there fascination for classic wow, if people are willing to play private servers just to relive crappy classic wow let them.
    You are lying! I never hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

lol@ the statement "crappy classic wow", aka, the best time of WoW in its entirety. I played WoW from 2006 to 2011. Up until the end of BC, those years WERE the most enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    lol@ the statement "crappy classic wow", aka, the best time of WoW in its entirety. I played WoW from 2006 to 2011. Up until the end of BC, those years WERE the most enjoyable.
    Gameplay wise vanilla wasn't all that great. But it was new and it actually had a pretty good community (which I feel is one of the most important aspects of a multiplayer game) back then. Personally that's what I miss.

Mechagnome
    There's nothing immoral about playing abandonware for free.

Please don't necro old threads with misinformation