Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Dynamic events on low pop servers.

My first thread here be kind:
    So after reading a bit about the dynamic events and seeing the posts in a few other threads a question popped up between myself and my gf, "would low population servers be at risk of getting less exciting encounters?" I have seen a few posters say that the more people actively involved the more complex an encounter becomes, so on less densely populated servers is it a legitimate worry that you would be seeing watered down or even less exciting versions of what could be an epic situation? And if so how can Anet solve this problem?

Deleted
    If you feel that way you can just transfer to different server, which will be free.

Quote Originally Posted by LastLaugh View Post
    My first thread here be kind:
    So after reading a bit about the dynamic events and seeing the posts in a few other threads a question popped up between myself and my gf, "would low population servers be at risk of getting less exciting encounters?" I have seen a few posters say that the more people actively involved the more complex an encounter becomes, so on less densely populated servers is it a legitimate worry that you would be seeing watered down or even less exciting versions of what could be an epic situation? And if so how can Anet solve this problem?
    It will be the same encounter, just when more players join in, mechanics will happen a lot more to deal with the increasing amount of people. It doesn't make the encounter more interesting then it already was, it just scales appropriately.

If an encounter automatically scaled a minimum to 20 people, that isn't fair or fun for the 10 people already there.
    If you feel that way you can just transfer to different server, which will be free.
    a) that doesn't solve anything
    b) unconfirmed free toon transfers.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-02-12 at 02:12 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I honestly think we don't see a swarm of servers on launch.

GW2 is liberal with what server you have your character on. There will be some limitations to prevent WvWvW transfer exploiting, but no fee.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I honestly think we don't see a swarm of servers on launch.
    But we will see a swarm of players, so no worries about empty servers

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    How come ... if you will be unhappy with server pop, you will have the option to transfer. It's not yet confirmed to be free, but it is confirmed to be fast and painless. Lets face it ... massively multiplayer needs ppl. Every player will have the option to take companion on his ventures, but if that won't be enough, you will be able to move to where the masses are.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    This

Plus its a very nice plan-tool , in order the company to minimize > delete the lowest population servers , 3-4 months after the lanch

I am sure for at least the first few months after launch low-pop will not be an issue, the buzz around this game is insane. I had a guy from work who refuses to even play games on his pc quoting me lines from the trailer. I was more considering what may happen a year in to the game when the flavor of the month gamers move on, but if the system works as zito posted then no worries.

You can swap servers for free, with a few restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by LastLaugh View Post
    a question popped up between myself and my gf?
    Lucky! my GF is not into video games =(. She doesnt mind me playing them at all, just can't get her to try them with me lol, lucky bastard!

But, as previously stated, server transfers will be free and if there are any low pop servers I am sure AN will merge servers over time and such to compensate for this.

It sounds like a dream until she leaves her pc back at school and commandeers yours'. Ya Anet seems like they will be on top of things like this, overall i like the way they handle their business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    A.) It does. Xfering from a low pop server to a higher pop server has been observed time and time again in EVERY single MMO to yield better grouping time no matter the tool used in the process.

B.) Yes, they have been confirmed, do your research.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post

B.) Yes, they have been confirmed, do your research.
    Mind linking a source on that? I have asked in several threads where people said this, but nobody provided a source.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Mind linking a source on that? I have asked in several threads where people said this, but nobody provided a source.
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/interview_et...c_arenanet/#vo

Curtis Johnson: Guild Wars 2’s world servers will host many thousands of people at a time. Your account will primarily belong to one world; however we recognize that friendships often cross worlds. We want to maintain the inclusive friendly play we had in Guild Wars, so we plan to make it very easy to visit other worlds to play with your friends without restarting new characters or paying large transfer fees. We haven’t finalized all the details of this yet, but we’ll let you know when we do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant a source about the server transfers being free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I meant a source about the server transfers being free.
    make it very easy to visit other worlds to play with your friends without restarting new characters or paying large transfer fees.
    That's about as clear as you'll find though. It puts ArenaNet in a tricky position if they plan to charge for it, as the community seems to have taken the "free" ball and ran with it. My guess is they'll give you a small quota of free transfers for a time period, then charge for additional moves.

Or buy a pass for cross-realm grouping for 8 hours or so. Maybe even with multiple charges. It also satisfies this definition.

Oh, so I take it character slots are per account and not realm/shard? Dang. Kinda disappointing if so. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Oh, so I take it character slots are per account and not realm/shard? Dang. Kinda disappointing if so. Ah well.
    I hear there's a cap of 5. I hope not. =\

I want to try all of them. D: