Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    A bonus of free characters transfers, means that Anet can merge servers if the need arises without the worry that they are loosing money from people that are not paying for the transfers.
    Last edited by mmocb1023c3147; 2012-02-19 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Yeah, the entirety of GW1 is located on a single server
    Separate vs isolated ... GW1 runs on multiple servers, but you can jump from one to another for the cost of few second long load screen.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Hopefully it doesn't become like Warhammer where you farm the first tier of a PQ over and over till you can get the rewards from the influence vendor although I have high hopes for GW2!

Quote Originally Posted by Nealath View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't become like Warhammer where you farm the first tier of a PQ over and over till you can get the rewards from the influence vendor although I have high hopes for GW2!
    Well all DE's award karma, the generic curency for buying gear off the vendors so technicly you can just spam low lvl DE's forever to buy them. However you wont be able to farm them like in a traditonal MMO. Because you are scaled down to the level of the DE you cant just charge through and one shot everything, rinse repeat for your payout. That said we dont know how or even if the amount of karma scales based on your level or the level of the DE, they've said that doing lower level ones will still be rewarding so I assume all DE's will reward an amount apropreate for their intended difficulty.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Yeah, the entirety of GW1 is located on a single server
    1980s called. They want to tell you about "scalable computing". Or you can use the more fashionable term from this decade, "cloud computing".

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 02:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I like to think that GW1 didn't need servers because of it not being a persistent world or mmo. Just to make the cities a hub where players can interact wouldn't seem to difficult. Would be really awesome if they could do the same district thing with GW2 as well.
    SWTOR has exactly the same system as GW1, except that it also has separate servers. I.e. when a certain zone on the server fills up, server creates a new instance of that same zone, and new players that arrive in the said zone arrive in the second instance.

That's the idea anyway. Bioware managed to mess it up and you would often end with multiple instances of large zones and barely a handful of people in each instance. And then there's the fact that it was the worst of both worlds, with zone splitting issues from GW1 and separate servers from games like WoW all in one package.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-02-20 at 02:25 AM.

Worth mentioning here: Guild Wars Prophecies only had 4 character slots. Food for thought, people. You want more slots, buy them from the store and support the developer.

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 03:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gw2fan View Post
    A bonus of free characters transfers, means that Anet can merge servers if the need arises without the worry that they are loosing money from people that are not paying for the transfers.
    Good point, I never really thought of that.