I say drop soulbound tokens in every endgame dungeon or hardmode (soulbound tokens are already in the game).

Enough tokens + X,000 gold buys you a "guaranteed alkahest".

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    I say drop soulbound tokens in every endgame dungeon or hardmode (soulbound tokens are already in the game).

Enough tokens + X,000 gold buys you a "guaranteed alkahest".

Problem solved.
    That'd make +12 way too easy to get however. Unless it's a rare chance to get it, it seems a bad choice. They removed the eggs that gave you refined alkahest sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That'd make +12 way too easy to get however. Unless it's a rare chance to get it, it seems a bad choice. They removed the eggs that gave you refined alkahest sadly.
    It wouldn't be bad if it took a comparable amount of time.

How many tokens does it take for 1? 500? 1000? How many dungeons would that be?

People would prefer to be working toward guaranteed progress instead of rolling the dice and watching money explode.

Well that didn't take long...the nude mods are starting to crop up now.

how much per month does Tera cost?

Quote Originally Posted by alteam View Post
    how much per month does Tera cost?
    $15, less with bulk discounts (like 3 months at a time).

It wouldn't be bad if it took a comparable amount of time.

How many tokens does it take for 1? 500? 1000? How many dungeons would that be?

People would prefer to be working toward guaranteed progress instead of rolling the dice and watching money explode.
    True, it's possible to do something like the dire badges in ToT, just take a while but eventually you'll get enough. It just shouldn't be something easily obtained.

imo, TERA needs a lot of fine tuning to have more longevity:

1. more engaging questing system. the story is so cheesy and pretty much forgettable it just forces people to just tune it out and just follow objectives and not pay it any attention.
    2. more engaging combat atm there is ZERO threat of danger if you know what you are doing and it makes the combat very bland. there is no opportunity cost in this game as it is so lenient on you if you make a mistake you can always recover, so you end up just playing whack the health sponge if you are soloing BAMS as all it becomes is a game of attrition.
    3. fix enchanting as atm it is way too prohibitive to be anything but detrimental to the player population. think AION and Miragents. how many people bled off due to the ridiculous grind and RNG inherent in that system? and imo TERA's system is FAR worse with ridiculous cost of enigmatic bonus preserver scroll things and the RNG failure rate and just the serious amount of time required to dedicate just to grinding gold so you can attempt to enchant.
    4. BAMs = boss mobs and boss mobs = BAMs. once you have fought one of a specific type you have effectively fought them all so there is NOTHING to look forward too. now when i encounter a boss the only thing that comes to mind is "been there done that, here take back the t-shirt".
    5. PvP class balance, class balance, class balance. i am convinced that PvP class balance at Bluehole must just be a running joke. /sigh

meh, maybe it's just me as i struggle to find the will and energy to log into TERA every day. i have to psych myself up just to quest or run a dungeon. i really was hoping that this game would tide me over until GW2, but i find myself spending more time theory crafting my Necromancer, Ranger and Engineer builds for GW2 than playing my 56 Ranger in TERA. RNG for gear, enchanting, enigmatic bonuses, the exponential increase in XP, rolling against other people for gear, the dungeon finder matchmaking system where often times i have to roll against 2 other classes for the same gear, the political system and having vendors unavailable, all this and other things just weigh down on me and make me question playing the game altogether. some of them seem so unnecessary and go counter to what makes a game fun and gives it longevity. if they just focused more on making a fun and engaging game and less on systems designed specifically to make you waste your time in game so they can stretch out your sub, they would have far more people than they do now. /sigh
    Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!!!

Guild Wars 2: Odeezee (Necromancer) || TERA: Odeezee (Archer-Ret) || SWTOR: Odeezee (Sith Inquisitor-Ret/Jedi Sage-Ret) || GW: Odeezee Fosho (Elementalist-Ret)
    Aion: Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret), ODZ (Spirit Master-Ret) || War
    : Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret) || AoC: Odeezee (Demonologist-Ret) || WoW: Odeezee (Druid-Ret), Thaone (Mage-Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    imo, TERA needs a lot of fine tuning to have more longevity:

1. more engaging questing system. the story is so cheesy and pretty much forgettable it just forces people to just tune it out and just follow objectives and not pay it any attention.
    2. more engaging combat atm there is ZERO threat of danger if you know what you are doing and it makes the combat very bland. there is no opportunity cost in this game as it is so lenient on you if you make a mistake you can always recover, so you end up just playing whack the health sponge if you are soloing BAMS as all it becomes is a game of attrition.
    3. fix enchanting as atm it is way too prohibitive to be anything but detrimental to the player population. think AION and Miragents. how many people bled off due to the ridiculous grind and RNG inherent in that system? and imo TERA's system is FAR worse with ridiculous cost of enigmatic bonus preserver scroll things and the RNG failure rate and just the serious amount of time required to dedicate just to grinding gold so you can attempt to enchant.
    4. BAMs = boss mobs and boss mobs = BAMs. once you have fought one of a specific type you have effectively fought them all so there is NOTHING to look forward too. now when i encounter a boss the only thing that comes to mind is "been there done that, here take back the t-shirt".
    5. PvP class balance, class balance, class balance. i am convinced that PvP class balance at Bluehole must just be a running joke. /sigh

meh, maybe it's just me as i struggle to find the will and energy to log into TERA every day. i have to psych myself up just to quest or run a dungeon. i really was hoping that this game would tide me over until GW2, but i find myself spending more time theory crafting my Necromancer, Ranger and Engineer builds for GW2 than playing my 56 Ranger in TERA. RNG for gear, enchanting, enigmatic bonuses, the exponential increase in XP, rolling against other people for gear, the dungeon finder matchmaking system where often times i have to roll against 2 other classes for the same gear, the political system and having vendors unavailable, all this and other things just weigh down on me and make me question playing the game altogether. some of them seem so unnecessary and go counter to what makes a game fun and gives it longevity. if they just focused more on making a fun and engaging game and less on systems designed specifically to make you waste your time in game so they can stretch out your sub, they would have far more people than they do now. /sigh
    1st one, yeah the story is pretty forgettable, and honestly if you play a game only for the story, most MMOs aren't even story oriented anymore. WoW's exploded and became a pile of crap, Rift was practically inexistant, EQ1/2 was confusing as hell. SWTOR would be the only one that I liked.

I don't know what level you are, but at later on your BAMs will potentially one shot you if you're cloth, 2-3 hits + high bleed damage for a leather and lancer berserker are dependent on their block damage. Enrage is the most dangerous as the damage increase and speed increases. Where you found it as an always recover is a bit odd. I know I've been one shotted by a naga by accident and one shotted by a non enraged arachnea at 60. I don't see where the zero threat is at, but okay.

Does the enchanting need fix? They could increase the % chance, but then you're just reducing a gold sink. I prefer this type of gold sink, and you only need 240g for 1 t12 enchant 7+. If you're buying a superior item quality enchant for the sacrificial fodder, you're doing it wrong.

Bosses are not BAMs. I can tell you that. There are three Kumas in Balder's Temple. They are all different from a typical Kuma.
    The red one has a targeted lightning attack that if all the hits go off you get stunned, then he targets you for an additional attack which may potentially kill you, also has a ring lightning aoe + one centered on itself. Some of his hits give a 15 second bleed and so on.
    The green one is what I like to call a rolly polly. With some of the Kuma abilities. He also rolls around like a freaking idiot, it is annoying and if your melee isn't careful it will destroy him/her. He also takes his claws and spins em in a 'tornado' around himself among other things.

And you also haven't met the monkeys, I hate them.

Then in Labyrinth of Terror, there's a draco that also does more abilities that is not in any of the dracos you see outside of that dungeon. A few is the ring AE leaving a damaging circle and a spike that he shoots out from his back into a target infront of him.

These are just a few example of bosses that act out of what you think of it seems. As level 24 naga is different from a level 50 naga. I know that ascent of saravash (I think it was that one) last boss is a Naga with a few different abilities, one notable one is a frontal map wide cleave and cause it moves so much and often ends up in one corner, expect it to always hit if you're not paying attention. With the adds and mechanic it's rather hard.

Also the two Balder's Temple and Fane of Kaprima's last boss aren't even anywhere in the outside world. Fane of Kaprima has even a normal lancer mob as a boss, that does different things and hits like a truck.

Saying there's nothing new is you're just thinking there isn't or just not paying attention.

I don't really play PvP so I have no comment there.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-06-25 at 03:03 AM.

Unless this is different on EU servers, infamy does NOT alter run speed. The only thing it does it prevent you from unflagging from pvp while you have any which allows anyone to come to your aid without fear of a penalty themselves. Thats all the deterrence anyone should need as if you start throwing actual penalties you may just as well turn off the pvp (and no I don't have any infamy and hardly ever bother to go to lower level zones).

What you may have seen is that hitting another player will often keep you in combat for a stupid amount of time (which is actually somewhat necessary to keep people from mounting up too easily... already easy enough to run away as it is) and you do run slower in combat.

Ok there is one other thing, it will cause a red bar to be over your head permanently which is apparently really annoying for healers as they can't tell when you need a cleanse as it stays red and won't go purple, but I don't think there was any intention of the infamy system annoying healers in a dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyCrown View Post
    This game can be rather time consuming. Even if you're not trying to min/max your character, working towards a specific goal can take a long time. The enchanting system's RNG makes for a great time/gold sink among other things.

For a lot of people who just don't have the time (job/school/social life outside the computer/kids/etc), I don't believe it's worth playing this game if you have the intent of trying to maximize the development of your character in terms of armor, enchants, professions, glyphs, reputation, being rich and/or even having multiple high level alt characters :c Don't let that stop you though if you don't mind playing this game casually like I am.
    I can't even play casually anymore because it just isn't fun. I log on to farm for an hour and I make 500g, still not enough to even get +1 enchant. I'm totally broke at the moment so I can't even do anything else because I get at for not being enchanted and what not and my only other option is leveling alts, which I have almost every class (only one I don't have is priest) of at lv 30+ and it just got boring (for now).

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 03:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It already did get revamped though, now it can't break all the enchants on your weapon like it can in KTERA. I highly doubt we'll get more than that if previous Korean imports to the West are any indication. It's still a very decidedly Korean game, meaning that annoying shit like enchanting will stick around (that and it's a wonderful time/gold sink).
    Why do we need such a huge time/gold sink though? Are they that worried that people won't play the game if all you have to do is enjoy the best part of the game, the combat? Do people honestly enjoy the whole farming for this gold sink? I guess I can understand the need for this maybe for now, but when raids and such get implemented later on I sincerely hope they fix this crap.
    Last edited by dk3790; 2012-06-25 at 07:11 AM.

Why do we need such a huge time/gold sink though? Are they that worried that people won't play the game if all you have to do is enjoy the best part of the game, the combat? Do people honestly enjoy the whole farming for this gold sink? I guess I can understand the need for this maybe for now, but when raids and such get implemented later on I sincerely hope they fix this crap.
    because that is simply how korean MMOs work, have worked and always will work

I guess I may as well ask. :P I have the Butcher & Block (warrior axes) store weapon skin I impulse bought off the AH. It turns out the skin doesn't scale and looks ridiculous on smaller characters, which unfortunately my warrior is. I haven't had much luck reselling them on my server or even finding anyone to trade for the sorcie book. I paid 1200g for them so I would at least like to recoup my losses or, as I said, even trade for the Tome of Knowledge. Right now the skin is on Celestial Hills, but I can transfer to another PvE server if necessary. PM me if interested.

1st one, yeah the story is pretty forgettable, and honestly if you play a game only for the story, most MMOs aren't even story oriented anymore. WoW's exploded and became a pile of crap, Rift was practically inexistant, EQ1/2 was confusing as hell. SWTOR would be the only one that I liked.
    people expect more for their money, you cannot get away with what WoW and EQ2 got away with 8 years ago now. the story does not have to be the main focus, but it has to be engaging enough to mask the grind of leveling, which in TERA it does not even attempt to do.
    I don't know what level you are, but at later on your BAMs will potentially one shot you if you're cloth, 2-3 hits + high bleed damage for a leather and lancer berserker are dependent on their block damage. Enrage is the most dangerous as the damage increase and speed increases. Where you found it as an always recover is a bit odd. I know I've been one shotted by a naga by accident and one shotted by a non enraged arachnea at 60. I don't see where the zero threat is at, but okay.
    so basically TERA is a heavily backloaded MMO, just like WoW, where you play a completely different game for 59 levels and the "true" game starts at 60. i don't know but that is such an old and very lazy way to deliver content and in this day and age should not be acceptable. /sigh.
    Does the enchanting need fix? They could increase the % chance, but then you're just reducing a gold sink. I prefer this type of gold sink, and you only need 240g for 1 t12 enchant 7+. If you're buying a superior item quality enchant for the sacrificial fodder, you're doing it wrong.
    why does just staying competitive require such vast chucks of time devoted to something OTHER than what you actually want to do i.e. farming for gold and fodder gear? if enchanting was not mandatory to stay competitive then we could choose whether or not we wanted to invest the time and money. personally having optional grinds like GW1 and not mandatory grinds like WoW style games have leads to a much happier playerbase while still providing players with optional long term goals.
    Bosses are not BAMs. I can tell you that. There are three Kumas in Balder's Temple. They are all different from a typical Kuma.
    The red one has a targeted lightning attack that if all the hits go off you get stunned, then he targets you for an additional attack which may potentially kill you, also has a ring lightning aoe + one centered on itself. Some of his hits give a 15 second bleed and so on.
    The green one is what I like to call a rolly polly. With some of the Kuma abilities. He also rolls around like a freaking idiot, it is annoying and if your melee isn't careful it will destroy him/her. He also takes his claws and spins em in a 'tornado' around himself among other things.

And you also haven't met the monkeys, I hate them.

Then in Labyrinth of Terror, there's a draco that also does more abilities that is not in any of the dracos you see outside of that dungeon. A few is the ring AE leaving a damaging circle and a spike that he shoots out from his back into a target infront of him.

These are just a few example of bosses that act out of what you think of it seems. As level 24 naga is different from a level 50 naga. I know that ascent of saravash (I think it was that one) last boss is a Naga with a few different abilities, one notable one is a frontal map wide cleave and cause it moves so much and often ends up in one corner, expect it to always hit if you're not paying attention. With the adds and mechanic it's rather hard.

Also the two Balder's Temple and Fane of Kaprima's last boss aren't even anywhere in the outside world. Fane of Kaprima has even a normal lancer mob as a boss, that does different things and hits like a truck.

Saying there's nothing new is you're just thinking there isn't or just not paying attention.
    i am level 56 and at this point the only hardmode i have available is AH and it is just boring. bosses do more damage and have more health and somehow have increased resistances to dots yet there is no way to counter that. that to me just screams lazy encounter design. i mean i even 3 manned it once but the bosses have so much health and high resistances that it was not worth it in the end, also the drops were exactly the same as in the regular run, further reducing the incentive to run it.

another thing to note is that you are saying you have to get to level 60 before the game improves which is not a ringing endorsement of content design. i guess i just expect more for my money, gone are the days when games can release in a climate such as WoW did where there are few if any competitors and the playerbase is willing to give you a pass to fix issues and add content. you cannot release a game now after WoW and expect the same leniency. it's as though devs think that just because players gave WoW a pass that we will give their game a pass too, especially when there is little to distinguish they game from WoW in the first place, seems lazy and unimaginative.

Guild Wars 2: Odeezee (Necromancer) || TERA: Odeezee (Archer-Ret) || SWTOR: Odeezee (Sith Inquisitor-Ret/Jedi Sage-Ret) || GW: Odeezee Fosho (Elementalist-Ret)
    : Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret) || AoC: Odeezee (Demonologist-Ret) || WoW: Odeezee (Druid-Ret), Thaone (Mage-Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    because that is simply how korean MMOs work, have worked and always will work
    I am korean myself. I don't really need to hear from you how korean mmos "work" but thanks anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 09:46 AM ----------

i am level 56 and at this point the only hardmode i have available is AH and it is just boring. bosses do more damage and have more health and somehow have increased resistances to dots yet there is no way to counter that. that to me just screams lazy encounter design. i mean i even 3 manned it once but the bosses have so much health and high resistances that it was not worth it in the end, also the drops were exactly the same as in the regular run, further reducing the incentive to run it.

another thing to note is that you are saying you have to get to level 60 before the game improves which is not a ringing endorsement of content design. i guess i just expect more for my money, gone are the days when games can release in a climate such as WoW did where there are few if any competitors and the playerbase is willing to give you a pass to fix issues and add content. you cannot release a game now after WoW and expect the same leniency. it's as though devs think that just because players gave WoW a pass that we will give their game a pass too, especially when there is little to distinguish they game from WoW in the first place, seems lazy and unimaginative.
    My hope is that the raids will be far more creative and fun (not that dungeons aren't already) because when you look at dungeons in wow and compare them to raids, it's pretty noticeable. If raids are going to be bland I'll just stick to pvp as I love the pvp in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    If raids are going to be bland I'll just stick to pvp as I love the pvp in this game.
    i don't know i usually don't like PvEing too much but it's all i can do in TERA as i refuse to PvP in such an unbalanced game. also the combat tends to become more of a dance where the first person to attack loses with very little to do to recover, think rogue vs rogue combat in WoW where the first person to come out of stealth usually loses. and after playing PvP in GW2 there is nothing compelling me to give TERA's PvP another shot. glad to see you are at least enjoying it though.

Unless you want to invest in full voice acting or some wonky "changing quest area" nonsense, that's the way it's going to be.

Okay...

1. What the hell class are you playing that you can "always recover"? Having played all 8 classes, I've yet to see one that has NO trouble against an even level BAM.

2. Yes, bosses have been a "game of attrition" since games first started having bosses. That's what a boss IS: A monster with increased health and more damaging attacks that you have to overcome before it does the same to you.

Tera's boss combat is a love letter to hardcore gamers. They're fun, tense and yes, DANGEROUS, and you don't need to be max level to get that feeling. I've had more fun leveling my alts in Tera than I have in any other MMO, ever.

Agreed, enchanting sucks.

There are around 20ish types of BAMs, each with its own attacks, but each one acquires more attacks the higher in level you go.

The reason I like this system is that, as a tank, it would be FRIGGING IMPOSSIBLE to know what's coming your way when fighting a unique BAM in every dungeon, at every turn. Boss reusage happens in EVERY MMO. WoW's latest raid is chock full of reused bosses. In Tera, it actually makes sense because it's good to have SOME idea of what's coming ahead of time, with the boss' NEW attacks thrown in to boot.

Haven't tested this extensively, but I agree that some classes are better PvP soloers than others.

Unless you want to invest in full voice acting or some wonky "changing quest area" nonsense, that's the way it's going to be.
    that is still no excuse as there are many games coming out or released recently that have a lot of voice acting and a MUCH better story; SWTOR, TSW, GW2.
    Okay...

1. What the hell class are you playing that you can "always recover"? Having played all 8 classes, I've yet to see one that has NO trouble against an even level BAM.

2. Yes, bosses have been a "game of attrition" since games first started having bosses. That's what a boss IS: A monster with increased health and more damaging attacks that you have to overcome before it does the same to you.

Tera's boss combat is a love letter to hardcore gamers. They're fun, tense and yes, DANGEROUS, and you don't need to be max level to get that feeling. I've had more fun leveling my alts in Tera than I have in any other MMO, ever.
    1. Archer level 56 atm and yes i can very easily recover. i can either pot while fighting or if things get really bad get "out of combat" and bandage and then continue. not hard at all.

2. yes bosses traditionally are a game of attrition, but in TERA BAMs are very boring after the first few encounters it just starts to grate at me as i know i will not die and it just becomes a matter of getting the bosses health down to zero as fast as possible. i ALWAYS min/max my gear for my level and get everything to +6 for leveling and use the best green crystals for my level and i have 3 sets of gear for bosses, normal mobs and minions, i know how to play. it is just easy if you do, simple.

I'm only level 32, but if I play careful, I have no problems fighting an even-level BAM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It already did get revamped though, now it can't break all the enchants on your weapon like it can in KTERA. I highly doubt we'll get more than that if previous Korean imports to the West are any indication. It's still a very decidedly Korean game, meaning that annoying shit like enchanting will stick around (that and it's a wonderful time/gold sink).
    I have a serious question. I'm not meaning to sound trollish by this, I'm sincerely curious. Why do Korean gamers (or at least the developers of games in Korea) prefer things this way? Why are their games often set up to have things like enchant fails breaking everything, or dyes that only last a few days and have to be repurchased, or whatever. Aion had it too; if you used manastones or whatever in your armor, they had the pure luck chance of either working or breaking any previous stones set into your armor.