1. #221
    Ah yeah it wasent really a question from my part, just a statement formulated into a question, yeah I also like how for example the rather small Castanic females when wielding a broadsword actualyl drag the sword around and try to swing it using their bodyweight while the bigger guys, the Aman, simply swing it with 1 arm around and hold it like its an extension of their arm.

    It's all in the details.

  2. #222
    Looks like old Lineage 2 town models to me

  3. #223
    Last year, NCsoft sued Bluehole Studios successfully for $1.72M USD for plagiarizing the Lineage 3 source code since the development director that worked on Lineage 3 (which never got off the ground) went on to work on Tera. So yeah, I think it's possible a lot of the developers moved over to Bluehole to work on Tera after Lineage 3 fell under, sort of like how Trion took in a lot of developers that worked on Warhammer Online, hence the similarities between Tera and the Lineage IP.

  4. #224
    Very visually appealing and a slick interface.

  5. #225
    I like how they change HUD from alpha version, being copy of Lineage II onen

  6. #226
    And now for something totally different, I've always been super positive about Tera right? Let me be realistic and come up with it's biggest flaw, one which made me decide to stop playing the korean version for now.

    Read on if interested: ( copy-pasted from my post on TERA EU forums )

    Don't ever and I mean EVER consider this game is playable solo.

    I'm currently level 35 on my Sorcerer, since the english players did a massive exodus out of tera since march, you're pretty much forced into solo'ing it, skipping the instances and party quests because you simply can't find anyone to play with.

    Still, i grinded my teeth and pulled my char all the way to level 35 without doing a single party related undertaking.
    It was one hell of a boring, horrible trip.
    I constantly found myself having to fight mobs 2 to 3 levels above my own level in the zones i was tasked to play in ( after having cleared the previous zones completetely except the party quests ) and so it took roughly 30 seconds for me to kill one mob.
    Now, at 35, I'm in some desert, and I find myself busy with ONE mob for SIXTY seconds. for the record, they are all 37/38.

    This doesnt indicate that the game is a grind or whatever ( altho every quest you get from level 23 onward is kill X amount of mob, rinse and repeat ) altho it is in my fair opinion.
    Because im sure i would be around 38 myself id i did all the instances and group quests, having said that, this still doesnt justify me getting stuck in the game because the solo content is basically way above what i can handle right now.
    I'm not happy with this as I can not advance my character into the endgame because at some point, willing or not, you are FORCED to party up whereas in WoW ( sorry haters, best example out there ) it doesnt matter one bit, theres enough content and well tuned quests/mobs in your level range at every time.

    The label korean grindfest, I hate to say it, has been proven to be true so far.

    Hope stuff changes, or else Tera will simply be uplayable by yourself. And that's an unforgivable game design imo.

    This is the flipside of the coin, I'm sure 1nsane would ( somewhat ) agree on all of this, he did a lot of party content however and launched himself through, but now you heard the perspective of a solo player, and it's a grim perspective I can tell ya, 've never been so bored leveling anything solo since I started playing mmo's back in 2005. I'm sorry to rain on everyones parade.
    Make sure you have friends in game, or else its going to be a real downer.

    Cheers, Tempest

    ( PS: I have decided to quit K tera, i can not advance, and im seriously demotivated, keeping fingers crossed for changes in EU tera )

    TL;DR: Game is amazing fun with friends and if you can organize partys easily like you could with people who speak your language, cant with koreans, game sucks to solo play. it really is an MMO and not a MSO.

    Original thread about the leveling experience of group leveling vs solo leveling ( 1sane's first post verses my page 9 post )
    https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=13747
    Last edited by Solarsting; 2011-04-19 at 12:40 AM.

  7. #227
    Scarab Lord Trollsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,484
    That sucks. Hopefully they can turn it around for the west.

    My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

  8. #228
    I know it's not the norm nowadays, but much of the EQ1 experience was grouping to level up. Forcing people to group together to level up optimally isn't that bad of an idea really. You get to meet more people that way and it's not the "quickies" like in Rift where no words are ever even exchanged and people disbanding instantly as soon as the event/kill is done.

  9. #229
    Unti after month after release. Grouping is very stupid.

    ---------- Post added 2011-04-19 at 01:24 AM ----------

    Vanguard had it and sucked.

  10. #230
    I did say optimally. You CAN still solo, but it takes a lot longer. And if grouping is so stupid, maybe you should consider playing a single player game instead.

  11. #231
    Dreadlord flarecde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    781
    That's a bit of a bummer. I don't mind grouping, in fact I prefer it. But having only group content available has a serious flaw: sometimes there isn't anyone around to group with. That's why it's best to have both options available at all times. I've noticed in MMOs, when grouping is a convenient and available option, many players seem to take advantage of it. Here's to hoping the "westernization" process alleviates that issue a bit, without killing grouping completely like some other games.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

  12. #232
    I don't think this is that big a deal, honestly. I appreciate your candidness on the matter Solar, but it seems like your problems arose from playing a game that has a built-in language barrier for you. I know it sounds like a terrible thing that the game is not solo-friendly, but from what you're telling us, it is solo-friendly up to a point. After that, you have to do the group quests to finish a zone out, am I right? And if you don't do the group quests, you're behind on experience going into the next zone?

    That really is the way I would assume most people play WoW. We do solo content while leveling, but we all hop into the dungeon finder and do dungeon quests too for the boost. I understand that in WoW this is optional whereas in Tera (for the moment) it is mandatory, but it still seems like the same dynamic.

    Still though, I know that being forced to group is not everyone's bag. I hope they tilt the game away from that when they release it for the Western market.

    Cheers for your coverage thus far. I'm still very interested in the game
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

  13. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    I did say optimally. You CAN still solo, but it takes a lot longer. And if grouping is so stupid, maybe you should consider playing a single player game instead.
    people said this about aion but i was the first lvl 50 assassin by solo grinding. quite funny when a 3-5x leveling curve compared to WoW or Rift makes people scream korean grinder. grouping is very inefficient if you have a bunch of people who don't quite fully understand the mechanics of their class and might just be bad players in general. especially if there's dealth penalties like exp debt/loss.

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    people said this about aion but i was the first lvl 50 assassin by solo grinding. quite funny when a 3-5x leveling curve compared to WoW or Rift makes people scream korean grinder. grouping is very inefficient if you have a bunch of people who don't quite fully understand the mechanics of their class and might just be bad players in general. especially if there's dealth penalties like exp debt/loss.
    Grouping sucks, you have to bear with other people's screwups and detours all the time. And even world of warcraft understood this: there are no group quests in cataclysm (or there are considerably less quests you can't do alone).

  15. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    And now for something totally different, I've always been super positive about Tera right? Let me be realistic and come up with it's biggest flaw, one which made me decide to stop playing the korean version for now.

    Read on if interested: ( copy-pasted from my post on TERA EU forums )

    Don't ever and I mean EVER consider this game is playable solo.

    I'm currently level 35 on my Sorcerer, since the english players did a massive exodus out of tera since march, you're pretty much forced into solo'ing it, skipping the instances and party quests because you simply can't find anyone to play with.

    Still, i grinded my teeth and pulled my char all the way to level 35 without doing a single party related undertaking.
    It was one hell of a boring, horrible trip.
    I constantly found myself having to fight mobs 2 to 3 levels above my own level in the zones i was tasked to play in ( after having cleared the previous zones completetely except the party quests ) and so it took roughly 30 seconds for me to kill one mob.
    Now, at 35, I'm in some desert, and I find myself busy with ONE mob for SIXTY seconds. for the record, they are all 37/38.

    This doesnt indicate that the game is a grind or whatever ( altho every quest you get from level 23 onward is kill X amount of mob, rinse and repeat ) altho it is in my fair opinion.
    Because im sure i would be around 38 myself id i did all the instances and group quests, having said that, this still doesnt justify me getting stuck in the game because the solo content is basically way above what i can handle right now.
    I'm not happy with this as I can not advance my character into the endgame because at some point, willing or not, you are FORCED to party up whereas in WoW ( sorry haters, best example out there ) it doesnt matter one bit, theres enough content and well tuned quests/mobs in your level range at every time.

    The label korean grindfest, I hate to say it, has been proven to be true so far.

    Hope stuff changes, or else Tera will simply be uplayable by yourself. And that's an unforgivable game design imo.

    This is the flipside of the coin, I'm sure 1nsane would ( somewhat ) agree on all of this, he did a lot of party content however and launched himself through, but now you heard the perspective of a solo player, and it's a grim perspective I can tell ya, 've never been so bored leveling anything solo since I started playing mmo's back in 2005. I'm sorry to rain on everyones parade.
    Make sure you have friends in game, or else its going to be a real downer.

    Cheers, Tempest

    ( PS: I have decided to quit K tera, i can not advance, and im seriously demotivated, keeping fingers crossed for changes in EU tera )

    TL;DR: Game is amazing fun with friends and if you can organize partys easily like you could with people who speak your language, cant with koreans, game sucks to solo play. it really is an MMO and not a MSO.

    Original thread about the leveling experience of group leveling vs solo leveling ( 1sane's first post verses my page 9 post )
    https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=13747
    - Almost every Korean game is like that
    - Grouping isn't always bad, you are playing an MMO not a singleplayer
    - fast leveling like WoW results in every kid out there having 5 lvl 80's and therefore possibly ruining your endgame with their inability to properly play their class or just general kidrage
    - We do NOT know how the westernization will go, this is not NCSoft, they said they are making the game more appealing to western people (more quests and solo content)
    - This isn't WoW and I'm glad it isn't
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

    Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughriot View Post
    I don't think this is that big a deal, honestly. I appreciate your candidness on the matter Solar, but it seems like your problems arose from playing a game that has a built-in language barrier for you. I know it sounds like a terrible thing that the game is not solo-friendly, but from what you're telling us, it is solo-friendly up to a point. After that, you have to do the group quests to finish a zone out, am I right? And if you don't do the group quests, you're behind on experience going into the next zone?
    Spot on mate, after sleeping it over and thinking it through, its not really THAT bad, i mean, i did skip on all content i you would normally do with people on your own servers, because grouping will be easy and everyone needs people at some point.
    So yeah im about 3 to 4 levels behind due to having skipped all that. Plus the gear that coems with it, im running with level 32 gear against level 38 mobs, it doesnt fly, and makes killing a single mob take extremely long naturally ( example: my weapon does 470 damage, whereas a level 38 weapon would do about 800. so it makes sense for me to spend a long time on a single mob )

    The game is still brilliant in its party content, but i do have to point out the negatives. Perhaps it only applies to K tera tho. But its just frustrating, still, I only have myself to blame for playing on servers where nobody speaks my language, so i knew what i was getting myself into.

    Its not a gamebreaker, and it does encourage party play, so i guess this game design has its plusses and negatives.
    Its just that being stuck isnt fun, but i think wow spoiled me through the years.

  17. #237
    BIG NEWS! IT'S CONTENT PATCH #1 AND IT'S RELEASING NEXT MONTH!
    Think of it like a major content patch in wow that adds a brand new dungeon, so what do we get in Tera? the following: ( note: everything is translated via google from a korean press release so excuse the simple english )

    Korean Source: http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbb...idx=2134&l=246

    Destruction of the Beasts (TERA Online's first major content patch, due May)

    -Level cap raising.
    -New continent and monster appearance.





    -More variety of items appearing.
    -New skills added.
    -Improved user comfort and gaming systems.


    (Level cap increase)

    -Level cap limit will be raised: 50->58
    -Level cap 60 will be saved for future updates.
    - >>>>> CROSS SERVERS INVASION WOOT <<<<<<<<
    -Server vs Server pvp!




    (Story/Bestiary)

    -Opening of the northern continent, Syara.
    -Argon and border in affected areas devastated by war.
    -Jeontuhyeong fortresses city concept.
    -Kai commander found dead to begin new story line.
    -10 fields added. 4 dungeons added.
    -Added new estates, 3 places.
    -Tomorrow, throughout regular updates, the difficulty of Akasha's Lair will be lowered.
    -New BAM in form of Chimera(manticore?).


    (Items)

    - Physical changes on current equipment will be made, while maintaining the effectiveness of the look. (weapon skin changes)
    - Adding the dye system, the stack of dye can be used to adjust equipment.



    -Enhancing system will be adjusted(weapons level 7 or higher will now have a glow effect).



    -Adding new equipment more powerful than current equipment.


    (Skills)

    - Adjustments to Warriors(defense?) are being implemented.
    - Sorcerer's practical effect(base attack?) will be enhanced by powerful region dealer.
    - Create your own combos



    - Changes on glyph system: Rather than standardised forms, it will allow users to choose the range

    (UI and System)

    -Added BG rankings
    -Improvements will be made to AH.
    -Improvement will be made to production convenience.
    -Improving ease of personal shops.
    -Improving Archer damage stream, along with rakon healing skill.


    (Updating progress schedule)

    -STEP 1: OBT/Retail(January)
    -STEP 2: Destruction of the Beasts(update)(May 2011)
    -STEP 3 :Fragment of a dream(update)(Within 2011)
    -STEP 4: Praia (implementation)(Within 2011)
    -STEP 5: Give Switch Ark(2012)
    Confrontation -> Large scale PVE -> Large scale PVP -> Politics improvements.

    From there, it goes on talking about the future updates they have planned for TERA throughout the rest of 2011 and into 2012. They mention advancements in large scale cross server confrontations, large scale dungeon and open world boss battles, and much, much more.

    Praia and Ark talk in that article seems to revolve much around aerial cities, and aerial fortresses.

    Mind you, TERA also patches the game every single Wednesday, here in the states.

    This is not the 100% accurate translation of the patch notes, as I left out all the words and sentences that made absolutely no sense. A better translation should be out sooner than later, hopefully, but this is the best I could do. :3
    <Thanks to Aishi on Tera eu forums for the writing of this summary>
    Last edited by Solarsting; 2011-04-20 at 11:08 AM.

  18. #238
    High Overlord 7empest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NLD
    Posts
    174
    Hi guys, solarsting here, I changed my forum handle from my wow name to my Tera name, not for the sake of bumping this thread, but because I was running with a 2 year old ( and deceased ) nickname.

    From this point forward, all news updates will come from me.

    At your service. And edit: forgot to mention 4 new dungeons are included in the level 50-58 level range.

    Cheers, 7empest.
    Last edited by 7empest; 2011-04-20 at 11:14 AM.

  19. #239
    Whoa, big update and so soon after release? Nice.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

    Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

  20. #240
    Mechagnome psychedelica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Norway, Oslo
    Posts
    650
    is it out for sale Europe and US?

    the only part i dont like about the game is those retarded looking animals race... but its from Korea...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •