1. #7361
    Im finished with monthly subs honestly. If Tera went BTP Id play it in a heartbeat over wow, rift, or swotor. Ive played all three at a high lvl (still do in wow) and honestly, the combat alone in Tera is hands down better than any of those games. I think the real issue is, that a subscription game just isnt going to do well. WoW is the only subscription game on the market that most of todays gamers will pay for because quit honestly, anyone can do ok in that game. Tera is not like that at all. While Tera is pretty easy to get started in, the max lvl game isnt as forgiving. Its not as easy to just be ok with carrying 4 or 5 scrubs in a raid, or being "meh whatever" about the shitty healer thats the GMs wife and will always have a slot over anyone else. (that's not meaning to sound as a put down against female gamers, so dont go there)

    I think we are in the middle of pretty big changes in the gaming industry. The subscription model is on its last legs with the FTP and BTP models with cash shops being the direction that mmorpg/arpg gaming is taking, and I think thats a good thing honestly.

  2. #7362
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Im finished with monthly subs honestly. If Tera went BTP Id play it in a heartbeat over wow, rift, or swotor. Ive played all three at a high lvl (still do in wow) and honestly, the combat alone in Tera is hands down better than any of those games. I think the real issue is, that a subscription game just isnt going to do well. WoW is the only subscription game on the market that most of todays gamers will pay for because quit honestly, anyone can do ok in that game. Tera is not like that at all. While Tera is pretty easy to get started in, the max lvl game isnt as forgiving. Its not as easy to just be ok with carrying 4 or 5 scrubs in a raid, or being "meh whatever" about the shitty healer thats the GMs wife and will always have a slot over anyone else. (that's not meaning to sound as a put down against female gamers, so dont go there)

    I think we are in the middle of pretty big changes in the gaming industry. The subscription model is on its last legs with the FTP and BTP models with cash shops being the direction that mmorpg/arpg gaming is taking, and I think thats a good thing honestly.
    The GMs's wives/girlfriends were never that bad in the guilds I were in. :P
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  3. #7363
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    The GMs's wives/girlfriends were never that bad in the guilds I were in. :P
    Early vanilla I was but it was mainly an example. We have two woman in our guild now that I would put head to head with anyone playing wow.

  4. #7364
    People who pay a subscription tend to be less likely to troll and care about their guild and server community more.
    You make an investment and you care about it. Having millions of players does not always a good game make.

  5. #7365
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackemperor View Post
    People who pay a subscription tend to be less likely to troll and care about their guild and server community more.
    You make an investment and you care about it. Having millions of players does not always a good game make.
    Wouldn't buying the game be enough for you to care about the investment?
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  6. #7366
    Brewmaster Darksoldierr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,380
    Holy macarena, i just trying out the trial, and rofl. This game has the worst pvp system i ever seen or experienced. I dont mind being ganked, but when a 10+ level higher chars keeps killing you in the 2nd zone, and the others around your level placing themselves active just by a click anytime they want. And god, the avarage IQ people have on the chat is really makes me frickin dissapointed.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

  7. #7367
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    And god, the avarage IQ people have on the chat is really makes me frickin dissapointed.
    In every online game I have ever played, with 1 exception, this will always be true. Do not try and make this a Tera specific problem.

    I just started the trial and found the Isle of Dawn zone to be enjoyable enough. Like the combat, dislike the aesthetics, Looking forward to being ganked repeatedly in Lumbertown

  8. #7368
    Herald of the Titans Tekkommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,647
    I'm in 2 minds over the combat.

    It feels smooth sometimes, but most times it just isn't smooth at all, it can feel clumsy at times. I do respect what they are trying to accomplish though.

    Not being able to jump and attack at the same time is a negative.

  9. #7369
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I'm in 2 minds over the combat.

    It feels smooth sometimes, but most times it just isn't smooth at all, it can feel clumsy at times. I do respect what they are trying to accomplish though.

    Not being able to jump and attack at the same time is a negative.
    They wanted everything you did to have an opportunity cost. Some people don't enjoy that method of combat, which is totally fine, but it's far from clumsy. It's a very deliberate decision with a lot of time and effort put into determining how long ability animations will lock you in place for in order to balance the cooldown/resource cost/effectiveness of the ability.

  10. #7370
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    They wanted everything you did to have an opportunity cost. Some people don't enjoy that method of combat, which is totally fine, but it's far from clumsy. It's a very deliberate decision with a lot of time and effort put into determining how long ability animations will lock you in place for in order to balance the cooldown/resource cost/effectiveness of the ability.
    One example is Rain of Blows for a warrior. If you use it by itself it'd be relatively slow, as opposed to if you chain it with Pounce before hand. However this will also reduce the effectiveness of the 30% damage reduction that is used while attacking which may or may not be useful depending on the situation.

    Others are meant to be quick jabs which do small amounts of damage but less time, which is great for warriors to sustain edge but at the same time be mobile.

  11. #7371
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Holy macarena, i just trying out the trial, and rofl. This game has the worst pvp system i ever seen or experienced. I dont mind being ganked, but when a 10+ level higher chars keeps killing you in the 2nd zone, and the others around your level placing themselves active just by a click anytime they want. And god, the avarage IQ people have on the chat is really makes me frickin dissapointed.
    They have carebear servers also. PvP servers remind me alot of the good ol UO days. In 20 years of gaming, I havent seen but maybe 1 or 2 game chats that werent full of the standard mouth breathing window lickers that make up the general player base in the majority of games.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2012-06-23 at 09:18 PM.

  12. #7372
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Holy macarena, i just trying out the trial, and rofl. This game has the worst pvp system i ever seen or experienced. I dont mind being ganked, but when a 10+ level higher chars keeps killing you in the 2nd zone, and the others around your level placing themselves active just by a click anytime they want. And god, the avarage IQ people have on the chat is really makes me frickin dissapointed.
    Wait you are complaining about how on a pvp server you can in fact attack anyone and be attacked by anyone so long as you are not in the newbie zones? You do realize it works the exact same in most other mmo pvp servers. I can take my level 85 in wow to the lowest level non newbie zone and gank the crap out of people, or I can decide that it would be fun on my low level questing in ashenvale to go gank that guy. The only reason for self flagging versus the auto flagging they have in WoW and others (in WoW it auto flags you for entering the zone) is pretty much so that you don't cause collateral damage. Just think about it like you would in any other mmo on a pvp server, if you see some one, realize that they do have the option to gank you (regardless of their level) and may or may not do so, otherwise roll on a PvE server and shut up.

    Edit: BTW Lumbertown is the new Tauren Mill/Southshore.

  13. #7373
    So, does anyone have a 7 day EU trial key to spare?

  14. #7374
    I'm about to buy this game, but I heard that the EU version of Tera is bad, is this true?
    Should I go for the US version instead of EU? I live in Sweden and wonder if this will cause high latency for me.

  15. #7375
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Random9938 View Post
    I'm about to buy this game, but I heard that the EU version of Tera is bad, is this true?
    Should I go for the US version instead of EU? I live in Sweden and wonder if this will cause high latency for me.
    Probably find someone with an EU account with a trial invite. Should help a bit for server exploring or something. Though you are rather restricted.

  16. #7376
    High Overlord GuiltyCrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Not California
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Holy macarena, i just trying out the trial, and rofl. This game has the worst pvp system i ever seen or experienced. I dont mind being ganked, but when a 10+ level higher chars keeps killing you in the 2nd zone, and the others around your level placing themselves active just by a click anytime they want. And god, the avarage IQ people have on the chat is really makes me frickin dissapointed.
    There are some insane drawbacks from killing players on a PvP server if you're +5 levels higher then them (around that much at least). Because of that drawback, infamy, I would say that Tera's PvP system is one of the best, as opposed to the worst (I doubt you know what infamy is anyways >_<) Also why are you even playing on a PvP server, it's rather clear from your post that you're not someone who should be playing on one.

    If you wanna play on a high populated server with no world PvP, then join DragonFall(PvE). PvE servers now have the GvG system in place, so if you're looking to eventually do some PvP (clearly you're not) then you can join a guild that does a lot of GvG battles.

    Holy hell I also wish they would come out with the zerker changes with the warrior/lancer changes. . .sadly it's been implied that the zerker changes wont be till later :c Also QoA part 2 new armor models LOOK amazing, especially the male castanic leather armor *_*
    Last edited by GuiltyCrown; 2012-06-24 at 03:29 AM.
    "Do we gain more power in order to fight, or do we fight in order to gain more power?"-Some badass

  17. #7377
    GuiltyCrown, I wish I had read that before playing tonight... I finally got off the newbie island and leveled up 17 in the first area of lumbertown, and was having fun ganking people in the process. Near the end I kept asking myself why the hell I was running so slow. Where do you even see your infamy? It's not like I had any debuffs that said "here is your penalty, sucks to be you." Which leads me to my next complaint with the game: Lack of detailed information. A crystal that says 15% to proc Thing II, and then doesn't tell me what Thing II does is really frustrating. I was a bit disappointed to find out that a lot of the stats and tooltips are pretty much copy/paste from Aion, which I thought had a terribly vague stat system.

  18. #7378
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    GuiltyCrown, I wish I had read that before playing tonight... I finally got off the newbie island and leveled up 17 in the first area of lumbertown, and was having fun ganking people in the process. Near the end I kept asking myself why the hell I was running so slow. Where do you even see your infamy? It's not like I had any debuffs that said "here is your penalty, sucks to be you." Which leads me to my next complaint with the game: Lack of detailed information. A crystal that says 15% to proc Thing II, and then doesn't tell me what Thing II does is really frustrating. I was a bit disappointed to find out that a lot of the stats and tooltips are pretty much copy/paste from Aion, which I thought had a terribly vague stat system.
    Oh no, it means server infamy. Our server already has a guild with a bad rep for being complete douches to smaller guilds. Let's just say they learned their lesson. 5v1 GvG. The population of servers aren't gigantic, so word spreads pretty fast quickly. Your guild, name, etc reputation will follow you.

    - Yeah the stat tool tips can be a hell of a lot better.

    Endurance is your defense multiplier.
    Power is your attack multiplier.
    And so on, but they don't really mention that.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-06-24 at 08:11 AM.

  19. #7379
    Pit Lord nocturnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    2,477
    So, I think I fought my first BAM (stands for BIG-ASS-MONSTER I assume?).

    It's true that I needed to dodge and move a bit more, but it still felt incredibly passive (to me!). But again, my perception is greatly influenced by GW2. If I had played wow before Tera, I would've probably thought Tera's game-play was as active as it gets. But the last MMO I played was GW2, where every single thing is high-paced and truly fully action oriented. I guess anything feels passive after you've played that.

    So Tera uses the trinity system, which I personally dislike, especially since the lancer is the only recognized tank (by the LFG tool). That said, end-game content are 5 man dungeons, which imo is great! You can provide just as much (if not more) challenge in a 5 man instance as in a 25 man instance, without the tediousness of logistics. Hopefully it'll stay like that, but considering all similarities to wow, I'm fairly sure they'll introduce conventional raids pretty soon .

    Now to those saying: "omg how can you compare Tera to wow!". It's not that I'm purposely comparing the two games, it's just that I see too many similarities, that's all.

    The world is pretty but I'm not being stimulated to explore it, because the quest-lines provide a very linear path of progression. Running around isn't a choice, but a predefined calculation which consequentially ruins immersion (for me). I've just evolved into a gamer that's doesn't want to be told what to do and doesn't want to read walls of text to be swallowed by a story. I want things to be intuitive and logical. That my own perception and has nothing to do with the quality of Tera. I'm sure many players like the "!" - "?" system.

    Who knows, if end-game revolves around 5 man dungeons I might give this a serious shot! If raiding is introduced I'll personally uninstall it and never look back. I'll never play wow, or wow in a different jacket.

    ps
    Stupid me for picking a pvp server. The ganking is seriously insaaaane. Never played a game with so much griefing and no way, whatsoever to avoid it.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2012-06-24 at 11:29 AM.

  20. #7380
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,313
    Tanks are overated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •