Kingdoms of Amalur vs Witcher - Combat system

Hi,

I am currently playing KOA. Level 26. Combat system is very impressive, but the story line is very boring. Too many side quests.

I lost few hours (6-8) of game as I had overwritten saved files by mistake. Now I don't find any motivation to play KOA anymore.

So during my initial research I came to know that Witcher is a nice alternative. I heard the story line is good. I saw some of the Game play videos. The combat doesn't look as good as KOA.

Any thoughts on the Wticher combat system when compared to KOA ?

Thanks

KoA has a very fun combat system, but I would describe it as more "arcadey". By that I mean its easy to just mash buttons and do great.

Witcher has a less forgiving combat system and does require more planning and an adaptive playstyle to conquer different enemies based on their weaknesses.

So ultimately it depends on what you like. I think both combat systems are great for the gameworlds they inhabit. It really boils down to personal taste. For me, I prefer a Witcher style of combat over a KoA, but KoA is tasty treat I can enjoy from time to time.

One note is that Witcher 3 is very similar to Witcher 2 combat, and Witcher 2 is super cheap. Pick it up for $5 and see if you like it. Some people have been so utterly turned off by the combat in Witcher 2 that they never continued playing it, so its not everyone's cup of tea.

I had loads of fun in KoA loved how you could switch weapons on the fly but Witcher 3 is alot of fun too more difficult
    "For in the shadows lurks not one dagger, but the power of a nation of daggers, waiting for justice's blow."

From what I recall of my time playing KoA, the combat system in that felt a lot more varied than in Witcher 3 especially with all the different kinds of weapons and the style of fighting they encompass plus the different spells. It also felt very active and fast. Whereas in Witcher 3, so far it's been stack points in fast attack and attack buff talents, get a good sword and spam left click and dodge roll away when the enemy parries you. Facing a hard or slightly higher level enemy? Is it a creature that you have listed in your bestiary? Search it, check whether you have the Oil and/or Bomb to counter it and equip the spell it's vulnerable to. Apply Oil to required sword, repeat spamming left click with a Q and a Middle Mouse button thrown in here and there. It's certainly a bit better than the first Witcher's combat which had a combo system for sword swinging and was harsh on laggy computers but does now make combat feel a little tedious. Then again I'm only like quarter/halfway(?) through the first major area and it's undiscovered locations plus quests as the place is so god damn big.

With KoA the trick is not to do the side missions If you do the side missions the game difficulty will go down a lot and the good story is in the main quests anyway.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Its hard to judge KOAs combat system when it gets irrelevant a few hours into the game where it becomes buttonmashing and oneshotting stuff.

Herald of the Titans barackopala's Avatar
    I must admit i loved how KoA felt on the first few levels, as repefe said, being underleveled gave the game a better challenge and thus a better scope of it all, the blocking mechanic felt so rewarding =P
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

I too, have played KoA. And I find it amusing that so many have already said that the side quests were a weak point. There were so many and they made you over level the main quest and the area you are in.

The combat system is samey but very different at the same time. KoA has a very arcadey combat system while the Witcher series has a more slower paced think what you're going to do next feel to it. I personally prefer the Witcher games as the combat system is more involved and the world and story are better though KoA is still a very good game. Just play both honestly if you have the time.

I love when people compare game released three years ago, with current game release. xD

Ok but seriously. KOA:R got potential, but it's wasted why? One of reasons, that is released month before Mass Effect 3. What's a point? The point is, EA is more focused on ME3 instead of KOA:R and we know what's happend. Only Legend Of Dead Kel and Teeth Of Naros DLC release, because studio what maked game, was closed. But to be honest, both games looks good, but comparing them is kinda weird.

It's like comparing Dragon Age 2 storyline with Witcher 2 storyline, which also is weird. xD

Half way between Draenor and Hydaelyn... and Tyria?
    KoA's combt is quite varied with it's roster of 10 some distnict weapon styles, which combined with weapon swapping can involve some very fun combos. It does become a bit button mashy, but no other game has made blocking so satisfying.

Wicther 3 doesn't have much in variety, but it's depth comes from strategy and skill involved in the individual fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Annnnnnd...this is the point you should be euthanized for the betterment of humanity ;p
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post
    Val, im going to start punching you and Im not going to stop.
    You go do that pal!

Sure. I will try Witcher 2 and see if I like it.

Regarding KOA, going forward, I will only do Main quests and faction quests. I think the game will be over in 5 hours.

OK, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but in Witcher 2 combat was very similar to that of KoA. In terms of "raw" combat, I'd say I prefer KoA one - however, KoA is way too easy, even on hardest settings with YSA mod, and if you know the mechanics well enough, you can pretty much avoid taking any damage in any situations. While Witcher 2 on Dark is far more brutal, you can die to 3 hits from some bosses, you have few heal options, you can get knocked down or stunned easily from many sources. So, in terms of the implementation, I like Witcher 2 combat more.

Also, combat in KoA gets quite repetitive after a while. Even though all the enemies have unique attacks, essentially there are only two things you need to dodge: melee hits and projectiles. Usually, every combat goes like this: dodge towards the enemy, hit him a few times, dodge back, dodge all the projectiles, dodge towards the enemy again... In Witcher 2, the tactics are much more varied, and whatever you do in, say, Kayran battle won't help you at all in Letho duel, which, in turn, has nothing in common with the dragon fight in the end.

KoA is an amazing game, but they really shouldn't have abandoned it. As a result, the game is very imbalanced, lacks the desperately needed sequel, has poor optimization for latest high-end computers (resolutions above 1440p are currently bugged, and in UHD some screens just missing any text whatsoever, most notably - quest list, that is empty), lacks proper mods (YSA mod on Cheat Engine is quite lame).
    i7 4790k | GTX 980 | Crucial MX100 256GB | Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133MHz | Asus Z97 Pro | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair Air 540 | SeaSonic 750W | Windows 8.1 64-bit
    ---
    Samsung HU8550 50" 4K TV | Corsair K70 | Logitech G400s
    ---
    Sennheiser HD600 | Schiit Magni | Schiit Modi

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    OK, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but in Witcher 2 combat was very similar to that of KoA. In terms of "raw" combat, I'd say I prefer KoA one - however, KoA is way too easy, even on hardest settings with YSA mod, and if you know the mechanics well enough, you can pretty much avoid taking any damage in any situations. While Witcher 2 on Dark is far more brutal, you can die to 3 hits from some bosses, you have few heal options, you can get knocked down or stunned easily from many sources. So, in terms of the implementation, I like Witcher 2 combat more.

Also, combat in KoA gets quite repetitive after a while. Even though all the enemies have unique attacks, essentially there are only two things you need to dodge: melee hits and projectiles. Usually, every combat goes like this: dodge towards the enemy, hit him a few times, dodge back, dodge all the projectiles, dodge towards the enemy again... In Witcher 2, the tactics are much more varied, and whatever you do in, say, Kayran battle won't help you at all in Letho duel, which, in turn, has nothing in common with the dragon fight in the end.

KoA is an amazing game, but they really shouldn't have abandoned it. As a result, the game is very imbalanced, lacks the desperately needed sequel, has poor optimization for latest high-end computers (resolutions above 1440p are currently bugged, and in UHD some screens just missing any text whatsoever, most notably - quest list, that is empty), lacks proper mods (YSA mod on Cheat Engine is quite lame).
    Thanks very much. Very insightful.