Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    All the classes start off kind of slow, some more than others... that's just how the game is designed progression-wise. You get class-redefining skills and glyphs at certain levels that completely change the way you play that class and how it feels. If you keep judging a class at low levels and believe that's how it's going to play at higher levels, you're not going to like any of them.
    Unfortunately, MMOs have gone from the "Genre for the gamer with limitless dedication and investment" to the "Genre for instant gratification and if it lacks this, we judge it harshly."

Its incredible how many judgements and even reviews are made towards MMOs these days with less than 10 hours played. People don't care about statistic or character development anymore. Hell, half of the playerbase that picks them up is looking for some new messiah in gaming with endless and unfocused expectations, rather than "Hey this could be fun."

It's actually funny, the leveling in Tera is actually quite fast compared to many MMOs and you still see people complaining that it takes too long, like, what are you even waiting for at max level? They have no idea. In their scenario, they'd burst to max level in a few days and then return right to the forums to complain about lack of end game. *shudder* It's mind boggling.

(I kinda went off on a rant, very little of this was actually directed at the person you quoted.)

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    @mandus: Thanks for posting that, I think I might try that out too. I have an Nvidia and while it's fine for Tera most of the time there are some instances of it going from ~45-60 fps down to 0-5 fps randomly, especially when camera turning I get bad lag. I wonder if this would work for me.
    I also use MSI and it's been a lot more helpful for my GPU temps. I'm not really an overclocker or hardware nut like some, but being able to preemptively set my fan speed to compensate for upcoming loads without having to open my controller and manually set it each time has been pretty wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Unfortunately, MMOs have gone from the "Genre for the gamer with limitless dedication and investment" to the "Genre for instant gratification and if it lacks this, we judge it harshly."
    It's not just MMOs. Video games in general have shifted to cater to a broader audiences for over a decade now. Simple fact is that game production is a business, and hard core gamers are too small a niche. It's all about personal interest. One person's "hard, challenging level curve" is another player's "tedious, boring grind." At some point you do have to accept that your opinion is not the majority, and that the majority is where the money is at. Blaming less hard core players for what game companies do doesn't accomplish anything except alienate potential allies in that community.

I'd argue that if you are truly a "gamer with limitless dedication and investment" you should instead look towards e-sports and games that evolve in that sphere. Professional gaming is catered exactly towards that mentality. Instead of improving a digital character's experience bar, you're improving your own skill, and the rewards at the top end eclipse any kudos you might get for having a kitted out character in an MMO. Of course, this requires real dedication, and not just a mere thirst for tedium.

The only other solutions I see are some level of innovation I can't fathom (easily possible, or I'd be making games myself :P), or people stopping the complaining and starting work on a game they would want to play. Self-funding, or finding a company with a similar mindset and offering appropriate payment. Attempt that and I think you may quickly find why companies don't make games like they used to. If you take the commonly used 5% hardcore statistic, and a typical 15$ per month payment, figure you might expect to have to offer up ~300$ a month per player to keep the game profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    It's actually funny, the leveling in Tera is actually quite fast compared to many MMOs and you still see people complaining that it takes too long, like, what are you even waiting for at max level? They have no idea. In their scenario, they'd burst to max level in a few days and then return right to the forums to complain about lack of end game. *shudder* It's mind boggling.
    TERA classes develop too slowly. It's not the level curve, but the rate at which they introduce skills and mechanics. They hold your hand just a little too much. Most of the classes just don't become fun until the mid 20s. Slayer doesn't get their full rotation until 60! Given that the only real positive points of TERA are it's combat system and graphics, metering out the former so severely causes it to rate poorly. There's a reason they had to add a new starting instance with level 20 characters... the game should just start at level 20, skill wise.

Quote Originally Posted by apav11 View Post
    Is there anything I can do? My montior is calibrated and looks great in other games, maybe 1440p just doesn't look good in this game?
    Thanks!
    Your screenshot looks fine to me. Looks like it's your monitor. If it works with other games, you should probably check for game specific gamma or other settings. Not too sure without knowing specifically what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    usually stock nvidia controller and amd ones do not run fan at 100% just to stay "quiet".
    Also to preserve fan longevity, I think. I've had a few fans burn out on NVidia cards, from decent manufacturers too. If the temperature is tolerable, there's no need to be stressing the fan, no?
    Last edited by flarecde; 2013-02-16 at 10:24 PM.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagmonster View Post
    Be nice if you would read the rest of my statement.
    I did read it, it doesn't change the fact that you were sporting misinformation like fact. You said it is "badly optimized". Tera has better optimization than just about every other game we have in NA. Some people who struggled with SWTOR or Rift might read your comment and not even try this game.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I did read it, it doesn't change the fact that you were sporting misinformation like fact. You said it is "badly optimized". Tera has better optimization than just about every other game we have in NA. Some people who struggled with SWTOR or Rift might read your comment and not even try this game.
    I'm not sporting misinformation. Its a very big issue for a whole lot of people. I enjoy the game, but I'm not going to live under a rock about it. Hell I'm currently building a brand new computer so I can play this game with no issue. So please stop acting like I'm here to just "bash" the game :/

And its also free to play, so if they don't try it because of what I say....well that's just foolish. They have nothing to lose giving it a shot. Living in denial to other peoples issues with the game because you don't have any is just as stupid I might add.
    Last edited by Lagmonster; 2013-02-17 at 12:34 AM.
    3DS Friend Code-2208-5660-1089 (Please PM me with your FC if you add me, thanks!)
    Currently playing Bravely Default/Rune Factory 4

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Also to preserve fan longevity, I think. I've had a few fans burn out on NVidia cards, from decent manufacturers too. If the temperature is tolerable, there's no need to be stressing the fan, no?
    if it reaches 80 you will notice performance drop, it is not a matter of fan speed, you need to make sure it does not hit that number.

Quote Originally Posted by apav11 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I got Tera but unfortunately the game looks awful on max settings on my monitor. And I know it's just me because when looking at screenshots of it the game actually looks great, but in game its washed out and very low quality. I have a 27" Korean IPS (simialr to apple cinema displays) and play at 1440p. At first the game looked super washed out, so I am using a SweetFX setting to fix that. I turned on AA and texture filtering in Catalyst Control Center, so it looks a little better.

Here's a screenshot. It probably won't matter since you can't see what I see, but maybe you can notice the poor quality. Right click, view image.

Is there anything I can do? My montior is calibrated and looks great in other games, maybe 1440p just doesn't look good in this game?

Thanks!
    i am not sure if i am looking at something wrong. i will try to compare it with other samples. (it will be nice if you can give us a couple more ScreenShots and your pc details).

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    if it reaches 80 you will notice performance drop, it is not a matter of fan speed, you need to make sure it does not hit that number.
    unless your GPU is faulty there is no reason why performance should drop at 80°C. most cards can handle much higher temperatures than that. not that they'll ever reach them to begin with unless you run some extreme gpu benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    i tried archer but they felt too stationary

then i tried berserker but didnt like how slow they were then i tried slayer same problem as berserker

then a warrior which i actually got to 15 with someone that wanted to group level but after wasting all my money on crafting and not even getting a better item out of it and after my friend not having logged on for 3 days since

i decided to make a sorcerer which since i always play a sorcerer class i didnt want to touch but it seemed ok just odd that the first abilities were pretty close range for a class known for being ranged then a priest which seemed a bit underpowered maybe..
    With Berserker you can eventually charge your attacks while moving. Im loving mine I just round up a dozen mobs then "spin to win", loot, then repeat. Slayer is in between Zerkers and Warriors for mobility but I didnt like mine. Also on K-Tera no one plays Archers or Warriors. If the Koreans dont play them then they must suck cause Im pretty sure when it comes to any game they min/max out the ass and would never play a subpar class. But I heard Archers were good in PvP if thats your thing.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 09:20 PM ----------

TERA classes develop too slowly. It's not the level curve, but the rate at which they introduce skills and mechanics. They hold your hand just a little too much. Most of the classes just don't become fun until the mid 20s. Slayer doesn't get their full rotation until 60! Given that the only real positive points of TERA are it's combat system and graphics, metering out the former so severely causes it to rate poorly. There's a reason they had to add a new starting instance with level 20 characters... the game should just start at level 20, skill wise.
    How is that different than any other MMO. Just look at WoW. You used to get your core abilities sometimes in the 60s or even 70s. Right now my Berserker has all the tools I need at level 15. I have my AOE (Cyclone), my Hard hitting frontal attack (Thunderstrike), and AoE Knockdown (Flatten), and also a skill that grants me mana and eliminates mana decay for 20 seconds (Triumphant Shout). Thats pretty much my entire PvE toolkit. Sure I get a few more mana increase abilities, a sprint, and a DPS cooldown later but really I have the 3 abilities to level all the way to 60.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-02-17 at 02:21 AM.

I cant figure out why all the Elin hate. I have tried other races and they all just look like whores. When I came back the first thing I did was delete my level 44 Slayer because she was an Elf and I just couldnt stand they way she stood or ran or even looked. She looked like a hooker running away from her pimp while wearing high heels and a tight ass dress. Plus IMO Elin's have some of the best animations for their attacks.

I'd argue that if you are truly a "gamer with limitless dedication and investment" you should instead look towards e-sports and games that evolve in that sphere. Professional gaming is catered exactly towards that mentality. Instead of improving a digital character's experience bar, you're improving your own skill, and the rewards at the top end eclipse any kudos you might get for having a kitted out character in an MMO. Of course, this requires real dedication, and not just a mere thirst for tedium.
    Earlier MMOs such as UO, EQ and FFXI required much of that investment and dedication I was referring to without going to the extreme of maximizing one's reaction skill to the point of competition. I think that was the angle I was going for, rather than saying people with no dedication are casual players. I'm of the group that believes "casual" and "hardcore" has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of time someone plays, but rather in their dedication to the title, but we wont get into that.

You're right of course, about the direction games have taken. That was evident a decade ago, but at the turn of the century, MMOs still had that "dedicated audience" feel to it. Not to say I wish it was a special little clubhouse for people with no social life, but those who played knew exactly what they were getting into as far as time investment. Those who went out on a limb and simply didn't have time for the game just stopped playing and wrote it off as another game that wasn't for them. They didn't run off to the forums and bash the developer for not catering to their schedule or demand that serious changes were made. The audience this attracted were very like-minded, much more civil and MUCH more helpful than the communities of today which basically consist of anyone with 15 bucks and the internet.

Now this I can't contest with at all. I completely agree. The leveling process, however, is still very fast which was my point. There are plenty of folks out there (even just in the last few weeks) however, claiming that the XP gain is too slow which I just can't comprehend. You're right though about the development. There's a couple classes I just can't get into because it'd take far too long to get to the point where I MIGHT enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    unless your GPU is faulty there is no reason why performance should drop at 80°C. most cards can handle much higher temperatures than that. not that they'll ever reach them to begin with unless you run some extreme gpu benchmarks.
    or maybe because i have old GTX 480 which are known to run hot. but it will be interesting if someone lower his fan speed so that he games at 80c and does a fraps benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    With Berserker you can eventually charge your attacks while moving. Im loving mine I just round up a dozen mobs then "spin to win", loot, then repeat. Slayer is in between Zerkers and Warriors for mobility but I didnt like mine. Also on K-Tera no one plays Archers or Warriors. If the Koreans dont play them then they must suck cause Im pretty sure when it comes to any game they min/max out the ass and would never play a subpar class. But I heard Archers were good in PvP if thats your thing.
    Warrior is tied with lancer as the #1 played class in pvp on K-tera after the stagger changes. As of right now in 3v3, Lancer/Warrior/Mystic is the #1 3v3 team that can beat anything with ease, due to their lockdown and staggering. In PvE the first Manaya's Core Hardmode run was done with a Warrior. Warriors can clear any content, and are one of the best classes in PvP. They hardly "Suck".
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kslap/advanced
    Tera - Kuroneko - 60 Berserker - Mount Tyrannas, Active since CB1

Going to give this a go later just to see how it is. Any suggestion on a class to pick for someone who prefers melee and soloing more than ranged dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    Going to give this a go later just to see how it is. Any suggestion on a class to pick for someone who prefers melee and soloing more than ranged dps.
    Slayer or Berserker are solid choices.

I enjoyed my warrior a lot though.

Whoever you fear, fear me more.

If you like melee and soloing i'd suggest a warrior, great survivability and movement with decent dps.

Thanks I'll try a warrior then. Is there a MMO-champ guild or any recommendation for a server and guild to look for that is good with newbies?

i would suggest taking tank or healing class to cut down the search time for both of them when you want to go to a dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    Thanks I'll try a warrior then. Is there a MMO-champ guild or any recommendation for a server and guild to look for that is good with newbies?
    yes we were working on forming one, not sure what the deal is atm.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 05:05 PM ----------

Flew to bastion to do dailies and this is what happened 0_0

http://i.imgur.com/AJF6W8B.jpg
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-02-18 at 12:18 AM.

Trying to decide whether to keep leveling my Zerker or Sorcerer. Zerker is just so damn boring. Round up 10 mobs, charge up Cyclone, release it, loot everything. My Sorcerer isnt very high yet but please tell me they use more than one skill while leveling? At 60 which one is easier to play in Dungeons? I heard Zerkers can suck cause you charge up your skills and then the boss runs to other side of the room or knocks you down so you miss while Sorcerer can still hit them. Also for farming gold which of the two is better? Zerker seems like the winner cause you just spin to win and then loot but I dont know if I can force myself to level all the way to 60. Seen videos of Sorcerers soloing instances like LoT and ET for loot and they make it look easy cause bosses die in like 2 mins. But Im sure every class can do that given good enough loot they just make it look the easiest.

Trying to decide whether to keep leveling my Zerker or Sorcerer.
    Sorcerers seem to have a long ass rotation. Heres copy and paste from the official forums:
    LTC - OC - Celerity - Fireblast - Hailstorm - Arcane Pulse - Void Pulse - Ice Needle - Magma Bomb - Painblast - Flaming Barrage - Mana Infusion - LTC - Flaming Barrage - Magma Bomb - OC - Fireblast (celerity ends) - Arcane Pulse - Void Pulse - Ice Needle - Magma Bomb - Flaming Barrage - Mana Siphon (2 charge)

Maybe its far easier to actually perform that in the game than it looks and I hope so cause long rotations tend to be a turn off for me. But Zerker is like Tera's Arcane Mage.

Trying to decide whether to keep leveling my Zerker or Sorcerer. Zerker is just so damn boring. Round up 10 mobs, charge up Cyclone, release it, loot everything. My Sorcerer isnt very high yet but please tell me they use more than one skill while leveling? At 60 which one is easier to play in Dungeons? I heard Zerkers can suck cause you charge up your skills and then the boss runs to other side of the room or knocks you down so you miss while Sorcerer can still hit them. Also for farming gold which of the two is better? Zerker seems like the winner cause you just spin to win and then loot but I dont know if I can force myself to level all the way to 60. Seen videos of Sorcerers soloing instances like LoT and ET for loot and they make it look easy cause bosses die in like 2 mins. But Im sure every class can do that given good enough loot they just make it look the easiest.
    The boss moving is a problem for anyone who has a certain locked range on an ability. Personally, the sorc is a hell of a lot more fun. When you get Burst of Celerity, you will eat through everything ridiculously fast. That isn't until 48, so it might be better to play something a little more "actiony" if you want that satisfaction right now type class.

Whoever you fear, fear me more.