Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Would like some tips on melee AD

Hello there people of MMO-Champ.

I've been playing LoL for a little while now (Around 430 wins now), and in most of my games I've been playing AP champs. The reason for this, is because I simply can't play anything else. I'm currently trying to get better with ranged AD (just Ashe, at the moment), and that's going pretty well. But what I'm still not good at, is melee AD. I do have a good game every now and then with Wukong or Sion, but most of the time, I have a bad early game, which results in a bad late game.

So I'd like to ask for some tips for champs like Wukong, Sion, Garen, etc. I'm not bothering with the squishy ones like Talon and GP for now, because it seems like a better idea to get good with the more tanky ones first.

Thanks in advance, and any help will be much appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    For someone like Sion rush attack speed items like Phantom Dancer as he already gets a lot of free AD from his Enrage. But still make sure to take lots of lifesteal and crit, Sion is actually relatively squishy but when he pops his ult and auto attacks hes gaining around 700 hp a second. Wukong is more of an off tank, rushing phage and merc treads on him is always good, then building into warmogs, trinity force, and atmas, topping it off with a bloodthirster is always good too for tons of damage. I don't know much about Garen other than that his effectiveness drops off late game. I hope this helps, I tried to describe the champions you listed since every single tanky AD is different, but anyway goodbye.
    Oh yeah if you are ever unsure:
    Last edited by Totempulls; 2012-02-12 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks, I'll be sure to try that!

Quote Originally Posted by Totempulls View Post
    For someone like Sion rush attack speed items like Phantom Dancer as he already gets a lot of free AD from his Enrage. But still make sure to take lots of lifesteal and crit, Sion is actually relatively squishy but when he pops his ult and auto attacks hes gaining around 700 hp a second. Wukong is more of an off tank, rushing phage and merc treads on him is always good, then building into warmogs, trinity force, and atmas, topping it off with a bloodthirster is always good too for tons of damage. I don't know much about Garen other than that his effectiveness drops off late game. I hope this helps, I tried to describe the champions you listed since every single tanky AD is different, but anyway goodbye.

Oh yeah if you are ever unsure
    Fixed! /10

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

Deleted
    That should be a real champ ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melee AD almost always want at least a little bit of life-steal. Tanky AD might be a bit different and build closer to a tank than say Master Yi, but life-steal is important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    First off Sion is built with AP not AD. If you are buying AD items with Sion you are doing it wrong.
    I'm sorry, but what is wrong with AD Sion? Except that hes almost unlikable when hes ulty is up, has "op" stun, has free hp and AD?
    And hes reference to Arnold Schwarzenegger?

As I can figure out, you are close minded, and if something is not played the way you play it, its wrong?
    (I'm not saying you are stupid, you are probably smart, just not open to new ideas and different play style)

10+ Year Old Account
    First off Sion is built with AP not AD. If you are buying AD items with Sion you are doing it wrong.
    You can build him more than one way. He benefits from both. Kinda like you can build Master Yi AP or AD, and both are viable.

Deleted
    Thanks for the tips. I have yet to buy AD runes, because, as I said, I'm basicly useless with AD at the moment. So I'm not getting them until I'm at least a bit better with AD champs.

And as for AD Sion.. Try it. Just.. Try it. You'll see how wrong you are.

You just have to get used to the decrease in range. What is a safe distance changes when you are melee. Though most of what you listed (Sion, Garen, Wukong) are usually solo top, which means you are probably against other meleers. Once you learn to factor in moving to a minion into last hitting, it becomes a lot easier. Practice makes perfect.

For Wukong: Get Wriggles. Nimbus strike into crushing blow, then decoy away. Repeat until enemy is dead.

Isn't AD Sion one of the most devastating champs late game? Supposedly nigh unkillable 1v5ing like he was Nasus.

I think some on the forums figured out AD Sion has the highest AD potential too. And like 200% lifesteal.

So I'd like to ask for some tips for champs like Wukong, Sion, Garen, etc. I'm not bothering with the squishy ones like Talon and GP for now, because it seems like a better idea to get good with the more tanky ones first.
    Wukong is one my favorite champs. The stadnard Warmogs+Atmas, Triforce and Frozen Mallet yeield great results. His damage is great even if you are tanky. And the increase in survivability for Wukong is yields much more kills than a glass cannon. For t2 boots, I try to judge what I am up against in the match- Merc Treads are a safe bet as you need to close distance a lot. But also Consider Ninja Tabi if you need more armor/raw mitigation.

Sion, AP or AD works. I would recommend looking up some guides on SoloMid. Sion is a tough champ to play really well. Despite his simple mechanics, a well played Sion will devastate as few other champs are able. But it's a lot about you, and the ability to judge the situation. I.E. not blowing ganks, farming well, getting a good build pattern.

Crit Sion with a standard PDx2 IE endgame is nasty. With a BT and Black Cleaver it's very close to GG. I believe this si the strongest build personally. But be willing to supplement with a LW or some more defense [Regrowth Pendant early can help to farm easier in a tough lane] by way of armor or MR [Guardian Angel or F Mallet]. Don't lose yout lane and you will become a hyper carry par excellence.

I hate Garen. LOL :P
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-02-13 at 03:39 AM.

Deleted
    I played two games with a different build for Wukong than before (Phage, Warmog's, Trinity, Atma's and picking up boots somewhere along the way), and I have to say it went a bit better. I'll play Wukong when I can with this build, and hope I get better.
    I've always played him with maxing E first, then Q. Is this okay, or would it be better to max E first?

You want to keep Nimbus Strike and Crushing Blow roughly on equal CD. With sheen as you build toward T-force you are a boss. Wukong is sorta underrated. But this damage is really great.

Deleted
    Underrated? I've only heard people QQ over him being OP.

Well, I don't see him too often in games or quite as talked about as other bruisers. Could be I play a lot of ARAB and Dominion, but even so. When on my main account, I don't see him too often.

BTW, I ran a 1v1 custom to test out Sion a bit:

^ that's 100% crit rate without elixirs, 5k HP and like 350~ AD. Crits for like 950-1k, 1.6 AS and regens like crazy. It's not a real game, but AD Sion has a lot of power if allowed to build.

As I said in reply to other people, AD Sion is totally playable. But, in my experience, and as posted by all the top tier competitive teams, and as played in all the top tier tournaments, AP Sion is superior. <sniP>
    Not sure why you are telling me this? AP Sion is pretty great too. I was just saying AD Sion is very powerful. 1k/per second auto attacks before you even hit Q,W,E or R is not something I would slight.

Play Sion how you think is fun. AP or AD, whatever is entertaining.

Also, Fencer, not to be rude, but your item build you showed up top would make any champion rape. Whether its Soraka, Malzahar, Tarik, Teemo. Doesn't matter.
    I just wanted to see what his output was like, not a suggested build order. It was 1v1 with Shen bot.

I do agree with you on the "farmed" assumption. And did point out that flexibility based on team comp & opposition are pretty important considerations before. So yea, can't always guarantee a full build. Heck sometimes you barely get to finish T-force before a match is done.

10+ Year Old Account
    AD Sion is stronger than AP. If allowed to reach that stupidly farmed state. Whether or not that's the case is something else entirely.

Tried Wukong in the free week and he just doesn't work for me. I think his movement is awkward and his last hitting is a mess for me. I'd much rather play, say, Riven.

Deleted
    Exactly, which is the predominant reason yo will see the top competitive teams running AP Sion. AP Sion's early game scales perfectly into late game where AD Sion can easily be shut down early game and have no late game.

Is AD Sion "wrong", not so much wrong as not as good as AP. But he is playable either way.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that go for all AD champs? I've always been told that AP champs carry the early game, because that's when the AD champs are weakest. And the AD champs carry the late game, because that's where AP champs are weaker.

the strength of AP sion is his insane early game.

He can farm his lane + both wraith camps easily and still have enough time to gank top or bot. Due to him usually winning his lane quite hard (problem with his shield is: once he's behind, he's fairly useless becasue he wont get a shield off). Lategame he's only really useful when ahead. He falls off quite hard lategame.

AD sion got a weak early game like most ad champs but got an insane lategame due to being nearly unstoppable with his lifesteal and the bonushealth geained from his e. But even when farmed like hell AD sion can be countered by ignite/exhaust/kiting because he's lacking a real gap closer. He wont lifesteal when he can't hit something