Poll: Should Chris Brown be allowed to perform at the Grammys?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Ya, either she goes to jail or you touch her and it is all you. No matter who "started it".

---------- Post added 2012-02-12 at 06:12 PM ----------

That is my whole point I guess I was trying to make. What sort of message does this send out to impressionable kids? Hey, it is cool to beat your girlfriend, just takes slightly longer to make it to the top!
    Obviously im not dumb enough to slap her back then call the cops on her for slapping me.
    He payed for his crimes, and therefore should be treated like any other person. You cant hold it over his head forever.
    If a kid is to stupid to know that beating someone is wrong, then that's there problem.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2012-02-13 at 12:17 AM.

Deleted
    He fucked up, was punished and seems to honestly regret his actions.

Let's all move on, shall we?

How long do we want to make people pay for their mistakes, especially ones committed in an impulse?

Could be worse tbh, you know, the guy who said he'd let her finish but....

There are several things you are over-looking:

1) Three years is quite a long time. More than enough time to learn a lesson, overcome the trauma, and forgive the wrongful actions. As someone who has been in a situation where I was emotionally hurt in a relationship, I can vouch for myself and my ex-partner in saying that three years is likely more than enough time for most to come full circle with what occurred.

2) I would agree with you that a man who physically abuses a women has committed a horrible act; but it goes both ways. Men can beat women, and women can beat men. It is by no means a one-way street, and it is nothing more than a stereotype to think otherwise. This applies to cheating as well. While many will initially think of men as the prime cheaters in a relationship, both men and women can choose to be deceitful. Your gender does not dictate your purity.

3) You say that hitting a women goes against the 'guy code.' That is nothing more than a loose collection of manners, morals and good deeds that, for the most part, should be observed regardless of your gender. No person should hit another with malice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya, either she goes to jail or you touch her and it is all you. No matter who "started it".

---------- Post added 2012-02-12 at 06:12 PM ----------

That is my whole point I guess I was trying to make. What sort of message does this send out to impressionable kids? Hey, it is cool to beat your girlfriend, just takes slightly longer to make it to the top!
    Ok for starters quit talking about the law like you know exactly what it is, because it's quite clear that you don't. Police officers, like mysef, take many things into account when responding to domestic abuse calls. A small but to the point list includes, size of both parties, actual level of force used, and here's the kicker, who started the actual abuse. Now any man that just flat out beats on a woman is absolutely going to jail. However if I show up and this guy is bleeding from his face, arms, etc, and the woman doesn't have any noticeable injuries, guess who's going to jail. It sure ain't gonna be him. OP you're clearly sexist and are confusing that with being a gentleman who was raised properly. Just sitting back and taking lumps off a woman who is abusing you is not gentlemanly at all, it's just plain stupid. And yes I'm from the south too and was raised a gentleman, but no woman is going to abuse me. My upbringing was that the moment a woman puts herself into a man's role, she deserves to be treated like a man.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Deleted
    Im guessing she was asking for it, i mean all the other celebs seemed to side with chris brown, im guessing rihanna has a reputation for being a bitch, chris brown punching her probably did her some good, taught her a lesson or what not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiy View Post
    3) You say that hitting a women goes against the 'guy code.' That is nothing more than a loose collection of manners, morals and good deeds that, for the most part, should be observed regardless of your gender. No person should hit another with malice.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Kinda all goes back to the Golden Rule. Treat others how you want to be treated.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Deleted
    Unless she is attacking me with a knife or some sort of weapon I won't hit her. I'd just hold her arms so that she can't keep hitting me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I don't care it is their problem not mine, they don't seem to have a problem with it so w/e.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    Im guessing she was asking for it, i mean all the other celebs seemed to side with chris brown, im guessing rihanna has a reputation for being a bitch, chris brown punching her probably did her some good, taught her a lesson or what not
    It is exactly this sort of thinking that gets my going on this issue. All of the justification.

Ya, some of you have made very good points, but the others just seem like they are an argument away from punching their women.

I never considered myself as sexist before. I guess giving women the added benefit of the doubt can be seen as sexist, though I am not going to let a majority of male posters sway me too much on that end. I will think more about it though.

Also, many scenarios have been thrown around in here, but I did not start this up because of any other scenario that that mentioned between Brown and Rhianna. Of course we do not know the exact details, but I do think that we can ascertain from the evidence given that Brown was the one using physical violence in the scenario that is being discussed. Of course there are some tough women and even violent women (my sister assaulted her BF for years and is very dangerous still), but Rhianna is neither. Brown had no marks on him. She had a face all busted up. That is the scenario I speak of, no other.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadesh View Post
    Unless she is attacking me with a knife or some sort of weapon I won't hit her. I'd just hold her arms so that she can't keep hitting me.
    Not that I disagree with you, but in some states that can be considered kidnapping. The forceful holding against her will thing has come up in court before and the guy loses almost every time because of a technicality. Best to just get away from her however you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, so I am sexist. Forgive me for thinking that men were actually physically stronger than women. How incredibly sexist and naive of me.

I never said that the guy should NEVER be forgiven. That would be absurd.

I guess I am not seeing these feeble men and behemoth women that you all speak of. I have not been to Eastern Europe and can only speak of the region I live. Women here are very feminine and although I do know some that could kick my ass, they are not the majority by any means.

Ya'll go about hitting women. I will stay a Southern gentlemen and take any lumps I have coming like a man.

Oh ya, dude is still doing his time. Still on probation for another 2 years. Not that it does much, but it does mean that he is still under some sort of state enforced punishment.
    Right, because double standards are cool. I'm sure women enjoy being treated as delicate flowers all the time. And quit acting like we go around punching women. It's in terms of self defense. If somebody hits you, your defend yourself. And hey, it doesn't have to physical retaliation. If women are as weak as you say they are, it shouldn't be hard to restrain them, right?

Of course there are some tough women and even violent women (my sister assaulted her BF for years and is very dangerous still)
    i bet your sister was in the right, and her bf should have just taken it like a man, right ? right? i mean... after all... she's a woman, she can't possibly deserve to be beaten back or anything... cause she has a vagina, right ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also to the OP, I don't think you intentionally mean to be sexist, it's just ingrained in there. There are some situations that I've seen over the years that I feel the man was justified in hitting his gf/wife/whatever. One that springs to mind is a call we got about a woman who was 8 months pregnant and got mad at her bf for something and decided to start beating herself in her stomach. The guy tried to stop her but she persisted so he just slapped her really hard in the face. Situations that like I feel he would be justified in what he did. The law disagrees of course, but that doesn't mean the woman isn't deserving of a slap, or guilty of a crime either.

So because he is not running for office he has no moral standards to abide by? I guess if you can sing and dance you can get away with anything - or play sports.
    No, but just because he is famous doesn't mean that every single member of society has to care at all about what he does. He could have killed Rihanna and I honestly wouldn't have given the tiniest of shits about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shootyadead View Post
    Also to the OP, I don't think you intentionally mean to be sexist, it's just ingrained in there. There are some situations that I've seen over the years that I feel the man was justified in hitting his gf/wife/whatever. One that springs to mind is a call we got about a woman who was 8 months pregnant and got mad at her bf for something and decided to start beating herself in her stomach. The guy tried to stop her but she persisted so he just slapped her really hard in the face. Situations that like I feel he would be justified in what he did. The law disagrees of course, but that doesn't mean the woman isn't guilty of a crime either.
    It's because "women are delicate" has been built up so much in our culture, anything that says otherwise is immediately deemed wrong, even offensive. You can thank this mindset for people who say that women can't perform as well in the military (bullshit) and that women are worse in sports (also bullshit).

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    It's because "women are delicate" has been built up so much in our culture, anything that says otherwise is immediately deemed wrong, even offensive. You can thank this mindset for people who say that women can't perform as well in the military (bullshit) and that women are worse in sports (also bullshit).
    Yea these stereotypes probably aren't true in many cases, but when women have to pass less-strenuous tests to enter the military, and they have to achieve much lower numbers on physical fitness tests throughout school, it doesn't help sway stereotypes like these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Yea these stereotypes probably aren't true in many cases, but when women have to pass less-strenuous tests to enter the military, and they have to achieve much lower numbers on physical fitness tests throughout school, it doesn't help sway stereotypes like these.
    Same thing at schools, where women can do "girl push-ups" and have lower physical standards they have to meet. You can look at other countries where physical fitness is a necessity, and you find that women are just as strong as men are. It's just that we don't think that's possible, so we lower the standards.

Deleted
    ah, good old fashioned sexism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shootyadead View Post
    Also to the OP, I don't think you intentionally mean to be sexist, it's just ingrained in there. There are some situations that I've seen over the years that I feel the man was justified in hitting his gf/wife/whatever. One that springs to mind is a call we got about a woman who was 8 months pregnant and got mad at her bf for something and decided to start beating herself in her stomach. The guy tried to stop her but she persisted so he just slapped her really hard in the face. Situations that like I feel he would be justified in what he did. The law disagrees of course, but that doesn't mean the woman isn't deserving of a slap, or guilty of a crime either.
    My sister is dangerous. She has stabbed her BF....and he went to jail. I am related to one of the most violent and sadistic women in the world. Last tally of cop visits to her house was 112. Her BF was the one abused and we all knew it.

I am well aware that some women can "deserve it", but even then it is best to leave and get away. Do not retaliate, relocate.
    I like sandwiches