Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is there character collision?

I haven't seen anything on this, so I thought I'd ask.

Can you run through other characters? Specifically in PvP areas.

Or NPCs even?

Only the targeted player/npc.

Deleted
    Finally a game with enemy player collision. It's rediculous in world of warcraft when you're just running through your enemy. Friendly collision would be over the top so this is good.

Do we have a source on that? Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    You can run through other characters/NPC's if you're not in combat with them

If you're in combat with them then you cannot run through them etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Finally a game with enemy player collision.
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Body_blocking

nope there already is one
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Finally a game with enemy player collision. It's rediculous in world of warcraft when you're just running through your enemy. Friendly collision would be over the top so this is good.
    There have been plenty of games before with collision detection. Guild Wars, Warhammer, Age of Conan among others.

The only time I dislike player collision is friendly players in FPS games. There's nothing more annoying than when you cant get into a doorway or window because some noob is camped in it and you end up dying.

As long as friendly players can be run through I'll be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Collision is a nice feature, but unless they're going to provide entrances to every building that are the size of small trucks, all it's going to do is cause a headache when some fat norn decides to /dance in front of the door all day.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Collision is a nice feature, but unless they're going to provide entrances to every building that are the size of small trucks, all it's going to do is cause a headache when some fat norn decides to /dance in front of the door all day.
    Haven't you played GW1?

"Foes and allies alike are physical presences on the battlefield — one cannot simply walk through another character. Players can therefore use their characters' bodies to block or slow the movement of another character. This is known as body blocking, a particular kind of snare that can be performed by any character.

Pets, minions, spirits, and NPCs have the same physical presence as other characters and so can participate in body blocking.

In outposts and PvE areas, friendly characters can be moved through without restriction; however, in PvP matches, friendly characters (including pets and minions) can body block each other. For example, two warriors both chasing the same kiting opponent might body block each other -- allowing the target to escape with less damage. Keep in mind, your teammates have smaller bounding boxes than your opponents. This can enable your teammates to go through some body blocks, while the enemy can not. When this occurs, it can be best for one of the warriors to either break off and attack another target -- or position himself to approach the original target from a different angle"

Body Block GW1 Wiki

10+ Year Old Account
    itll be annoying as hell around questgivers or vendors

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    Another one I could think of was bridges. Guilds sending 15 or so people out to force a toll to pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Haven't you played GW1?
    No. Does that mean I can't play GW2?

"Foes and allies alike are physical presences on the battlefield — one cannot simply walk through another character. Players can therefore use their characters' bodies to block or slow the movement of another character. This is known as body blocking, a particular kind of snare that can be performed by any character.

Pets, minions, spirits, and NPCs have the same physical presence as other characters and so can participate in body blocking.

In outposts and PvE areas, friendly characters can be moved through without restriction; however, in PvP matches, friendly characters (including pets and minions) can body block each other. For example, two warriors both chasing the same kiting opponent might body block each other -- allowing the target to escape with less damage. Keep in mind, your teammates have smaller bounding boxes than your opponents. This can enable your teammates to go through some body blocks, while the enemy can not. When this occurs, it can be best for one of the warriors to either break off and attack another target -- or position himself to approach the original target from a different angle"

Body Block GW1 Wiki
    Okay, that's a great compromise.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Anet would be dumb enough to include friendly player collision when nobody is engaged in combat. Friendly player collision at all is retarded in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    Another one I could think of was bridges. Guilds sending 15 or so people out to force a toll to pass.
    Try reading guys. In towns and out of combat, there is no player collision. That would breed terrible trolling as you mention. It won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I don't think Anet would be dumb enough to include friendly player collision when nobody is engaged in combat. Friendly player collision at all is retarded in my opinion.
    Why? I makes combat make more sense. "Oh crap, I am hurt, let me duck between my companions here so I can heal up." Not, "Let me phase-walk through my friends".

Anet aren't that silly as confirmed by Wrathonia ^-^

I love that they put this in. No more retard rangers and/or other ranged classes taking that last hit on melee smashed players. They can't just take a last hit anymore cause they can't shoot through you.

Pve wont happen.

However- does raise interesting possiblities for large scale PvP.

LEGIONS! FORM UP!
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post

Why? I makes combat make more sense. "Oh crap, I am hurt, let me duck between my companions here so I can heal up." Not, "Let me phase-walk through my friends".
    They utilize a fourth spatial dimension in order to walk through people. It's quite simple actually. I'm sure an Asura could educate you on how it works.

Deleted
    It's a great feature, that opens up a whole other world in terms of tactics.

Now, will they be able to get it working without feeling clunky? I played GW and WAR, both games had this feature, felt awkward tbh...