Squishy, Stuck, & Screwed

I am a Jedi Knight > Guardian > Vigilance DPS specced. Recently hit level 50. I believe I have decent gear, having routinely upgraded mods and such with planet comms. I am an Artificer, so I have the highest level (green Hilt 22) installed. I have T7 and Doc pretty much the same.

With all that being said, I am absolutely getting my ass handed to me every 2 meters on Corellia. The 48-49 Strong mobs are tearing me up. I typically use T7 (worthless, dead or sliver of red health after every battle). Not much better luck with Doc, except it's me in place of T7, dead or slivered. I would just like to finish out my Class chain, and get on with endgame, but I can't because I am stuck, unable to progress (currently in the Firestorm Towers mission). If I get killed by a couple of Strongs, how am I supposed to beat a class boss?!?

On the way up, if I found myself in this predicament, I would go grind a level and try again, but I am at cap. Now what?

TL;DR late at night, frustrated ramblings.

Use CC's and damage reduction cooldowns wisely, that's all I can say. Guardian differs significantly from my Sentinel's gameplay, but on my sentinel I have no trouble soloing 3 strongs at my level at any time (when cds are up).

Some of the class quests were a little difficult for the Inquisitor too, but if I put some thought into a strategy I could make it work.

You could always just get somebody to help you.

10+ Year Old Account
    had the same problems on my jugg, had to wipe myself through a corridor with two silver mobs :S
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

I was Vengeance specced on my Juggernaut, and I was not doing so well after about 40+ using a DPS companion. A healing companion soon became an absolute requirement.

The second-to-last class quest completely annihilated me. There was no hope. I simply switched to the tanking tree and my life was completely different.

The Guardian/Juggernaut DPS trees do feel a bit squishy. Try speccing Defense and see how you fare.

I used Jaesa as soon as I got her, and got her the lvl 40 pvp gear. Stick her on the strong mobs while you annihilate the non strongs or the other strong. Then help her kill the one shes fighting. This is how I killed every group that had a strong in it, and it still works at 50, though I've upgraded both of our gear along the way since then.

Only one boss gave me any trouble, the one with the annoying debuff that means hes immune to pushbacks and interupts (steel buff I think it was called). And that was because he starts right bloody next to you at the start of the fight.

I was also Vengeance, and still am.
    Last edited by Ap0calypse; 2012-02-13 at 07:32 AM.

Deleted
    If you're having trouble with 48-49 strong NPC's with Doc out, then you won't be finishing your class quest alone. It might at least prove a bit difficult.

My Guardian was and is 31/7/3 defense with tanking gear, and I had absolutely no trouble when playing with Doc. Now as my gear is decent (126 rating armorings/hilt, 124 rating rest), I can solo the daily 2+ heroics no problem. If you're not doing operations as DPS yet, then you might want to look at becoming defense instead. Remember, dual spec is coming at some point.

On my sith warrior > Juggeranaut , which is equivalent to your class, i had sever issues . When i rerolled tank ( and picked jaesa williams or malavai ) my life became easier. I can now pull anything u want. 1 elite + silver? 1Elite +2 silvers? I think the juggernaut tree was never meant to be like eg. marauder or sentinel.

Go tank spec with your DPS companion - you should have an easier time that way. Use stims and whatnot too...sounds like a no-brainer, but always worth reminding.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Some of the class quests were a little difficult for the Inquisitor too, but if I put some thought into a strategy I could make it work.

You could always just get somebody to help you.
    I didn't have any problems on Corellia with my Inquisitor(Sorcerer), but then again I just used Xalek. The only quest I had a problem with in this whole game so far was the end of the Voss planet storyline quest, where you kill the avatar. I have had serious problems with that on two toons but eventually got through it without help on my sorcerer by dotting and kiting the length of the cave.

To the OP, why do you only have a green hilt if you are an artifcier? Its not that hard to the the purple version, I ususally get it within 10-12 blue(which I get within the first 5 or so green) reverse engineering. I wonder if your gear really is up to snuff, if that is what you consider highest. At the very least you should have the blue hilt in you gear. Assuming you use Resolve rather the Force Wielder (don't play a jedi, so don't know your spec), the green hilt provides +24end/+34will while the blue bumps those to +29/+41(and the purple takes it to +33/+47). While not a huge increase, but if you make sure that all your item modification items are at least blue(better if purple... the GTN is your friend) on not only you but your companion as well. Also, CC is your friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    As above, if you think a green hilt is the best you can get, I wonder if your problem lies elsewhere with your play. I personally have no idea how endgame is for JK (tearing stuff up on my Consular Sage TK), but one of my guildies destroys everything with his + Doc. L2P issue in my opinion.

Deleted
    Level 22 green mods are pretty terrible for use at level 50 - from when you were level 49 you can use all of the purple quality level 22 stuff which you should now be slowly replacing with level 23 stuff or pvp gear etc etc. I leveled one of my chars as a cyber so had purple quality 22 armor / mods waiting for me when i hit 49 - same with my artificer and the purple 22 hilts, enhancements, colour crytals etc. However my first character just had random questing/comms gear and didn't struggle on Correllia - i am not too sure on your specific spec but i'd guess if you are struggling you'd fair better with a healer companion.

Deleted
    for class quest spec defense and pick dps companion. you will be able to tank 2 packs np. just dont forget to equip shield and keep force scream and retaliation on cd(idk the names of pub equivalent).

Quote Originally Posted by obiwannknowlton View Post
    I am a Jedi Knight > Guardian > Vigilance DPS specced. Recently hit level 50. I believe I have decent gear, having routinely upgraded mods and such with planet comms. I am an Artificer, so I have the highest level (green Hilt 22) installed. I have T7 and Doc pretty much the same.

With all that being said, I am absolutely getting my ass handed to me every 2 meters on Corellia. The 48-49 Strong mobs are tearing me up. I typically use T7 (worthless, dead or sliver of red health after every battle). Not much better luck with Doc, except it's me in place of T7, dead or slivered. I would just like to finish out my Class chain, and get on with endgame, but I can't because I am stuck, unable to progress (currently in the Firestorm Towers mission). If I get killed by a couple of Strongs, how am I supposed to beat a class boss?!?

On the way up, if I found myself in this predicament, I would go grind a level and try again, but I am at cap. Now what?

TL;DR late at night, frustrated ramblings.
    while green hilt 22 should be replaced asap, nontank JKs/SWs are squishy by default, as basically any strong or higher mob has some sort of OP melee ability to frustrate you to no end I was being wiped on the floor alot on my SW, while my merc, shadow(too bad they nerfed using tank stance now) and vanguard had very little trouble (only vanguard tank specced).

You have to properly use your CDs on every sligtly higher pull and pray you dont get some ninjapulled strong mob, its alot about micromanagement, compared to other classes. If you cant survive elite with healer, I suggest to try t7 with switching taunts so you both are up as long as possible. If you survive wth fine ealth and t7 dead, its np, just dismiss and resummon, or mount up and dismount, hes back with full HP and it takes 2 secs max.

That said, try to turn off healers channeled CC or possibly even dispell/one attack, if its not needed, he should be a better healer as he has sometimes screwed up priorities (like doing everything else before healing...) It was kind of funny, but ultimately sad, when I was soloing this 2man HC and the last boss was champ with CC/stun immunity and Mako tried to CC him all the time anyway. Or even better, Theran Cedrax CC is not only channeled, but Holiday "seduce dancing" is targetable and ninjapulling packs. Was pretty frustrating, so I had to use it manually. Long story short, healer should make your life alot easider, given he is used properly. It was simply not comparable when I switched from vette to quinn on my SW, kind of wish I would have switched sooner.

Weird. I have a 48 Jugg, rage specced now. Untill Corelia my comp was jaesa and didnt have much problems. Now I use Quinn and its fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulu View Post
    Go tank spec with your DPS companion
    He won't be doing any heroics with a DPS companion, though. Best just to gear up Doc, go defense, and solo everything.

Used Kira and Defense spec for pretty much all of PvE on my Guardian. Ran into some issues with the endgame (Corellia and onward), but I made it work by managing cooldowns, healing between every pull, making sure I had sufficient consumables (stims and medpacks, mostly), and not overpulling. Don't use greens unless there aren't any blues available anywhere. Use your 20m cd on the elites before each turret. Grab the Cybertech blues off the GTN for T7 (but use Kira when you can).

Deleted
    I'm fairly certain that once you get to Belsavis, Corellia and Ilum, any advantage you gain by using Kira as your companion instead of Doc, if you're in tank gear with a tank spec, is lost in the downtime you get after packs, and even if you were able to keep up your pace with a DPS companion as compared to Doc, you'd lose out on the simple fact that as a tank, with Doc, you won't be fazed by an elite, two elites, or even two elites with two strong friends.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to talk you out of using Kira, as I think personally think Doc is highly annoying and I'd much rather use Kira in her Republic Dancer's outfit with her Sith customization. I'm just trying to make clear the fact that if you gear up your own character with high defense gear, and pump Doc's gear (especially barrel rating) as much as possible, the combination will be unstoppable.