Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation How you met your significant other....The oddities.

So, MMO-C... Let me tell you a story....

Labor day weekend...Friday after work, I am driving home and get stuck in traffic, it's raining and i'm ready for the 3 day weekend. Traffic gets even worse so I take an alternative way home, I pull onto my road, which normally floods pretty well on the edges, driving down the road slowly about to make the turn into my apartment complex I accidentley splash some water water on some lady who for some reason is walking with her child down the side of the road in a very nasty rain storm. I felt bad but it was over with and by no means was it on purpose. I arrive home and relax and start to hear a lot of yelling outside, I ignore it and go about getting ready to take a shower and start the weekend. Then the noise becomes an issue.

I look out the window and see one of my downstairs neighbors arguing with a man outside, ignoring it again but then I hear a child screaming. I decide that I should at least poke my head out and make sure everything is OK. Well that was a mistake, right upon opening my door I am grabbed by the shirt and tossed down onto the ground and proceed to be kicked by not one or two, but three people. Make no mistake, I can handle myself one on one standing at 6' 5" but I was outnumbered. My hulk sized neighbor comes running up the stairs to my rescue, they scatter as he is one scary man. I lay on the floor face swollen and bloodied, ribs very sore and glasses smashed in. My neighbor has to help me to get to my feet, I don't remember exactly what happened in the following minutes as I was told I blacked out again. I find myself awakened again by said neighbor knocking on the door, I must have locked him out somehow. He asks me if im OK and helps me to the bathroom to wash off some blood and calls the police.

I find out that the woman ran home and told them someone in a bronze Volvo (Yup, That's me) splashed her and which building I went to. Apparently trying to prove a point or something I needed to get attacked, I'm not sure it made no sense to me, but I live it a rather shitty neighborhood so I wasn't exactly shocked.

My neighbor helps me down stairs to wait with me for the police and EMTs, this is when my future loves mother shows up. I had seen her waking the dog a few times but we did little but exchange a hello before, she asks what happened and stays to talk with us and tries to tend to me, as I find out she is an RN. Shortly after the police show up, I give my report and they go on there way looking for them. My now girlfriend's mother invites me to come in and have a drink. Now normally I don't drink at all, but not wanting to be rude after she provided some medical care for me I accepted the invitation.

Fast forward a little bit and her daughter arrives home, we all sit and talk for quite some time. I didn't get any vibe between us at first but I chalk that up to just having a traumatic event. I excuse myself as I still need to go shower and such now that my nerves have settled and her mother gives me a paper with both of their phone numbers incase I need anything while in my battered state.

I don't recall to much of the next few hours but moving forward I decide to try to lay down, This is when I can tell something is likely wrong and maybe I should have taken the advice of the EMTs and gone and got a cat scan. I can't see much, I'm very dizzy and well, I just don't feel right. I attempt to call her mother and get no answer, unable to walk down the steps safely I call my now, girlfriend, She is confused as to who it is but I tell her that I'm really not doing well and I need to go to the hospital and don't need the extra bill for the ambulance ride. She offers to give me a ride, Mind you it's nearly midnight at this point.

We are sitting in the car and I feel something, not physically but emotionally between us, I can almost see it in her eye that she feels it too, but I just figure i'm hallucinating at this point. We arrive at the hospital and she tells me to call her when I come home. A neck brace, some CAT scans and MRIs later, I am ready to go home. Luckily suffering mostly superficial wounds. Of course, not wanting to wake her as it is now 3am I call a Taxi and arrive home.

I move out the next day with the assistance of some friends, thank god for them as I can barely move. I break the lease early, I don't care. I no longer feel safe. I move to a much nicer area of town and remain in contact with the occasional text to her. She drops subtle hints that she wishes I was still upstairs and we seem to have a mini connection thru text. One day I'm sitting at home and get a text from her "Let's go out Friday, Let me take you out" We hit it off, it was wonderful. We had a few more dates following in the next few weeks.

Had I not accidently splashed this woman I would have never met the love of my life, I likely would have never said one word to her. Since then things have been going amazing, We now live together and will be going on a cruise this summer on which I will be proposing to her.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It was about 3 years ago when I was outside of EoE10 getting ready for a raid. We had brought one of our newer members (only had been on 2 or 3 raids prior). Dueling flags were being thrown down left and right when this warlock challenged her to a duel. She said no, she's not a huge pvp person, and he said "oh well I won't use fear." The duel began and a few moments into it he death coils her. She explodes on vent yelling at him, calling him out saying he lied and is cheating because he "wouldn't use fear." He ofc tried to defend himself "nu uh, DC isn't fear." She just tore him a new one. Now, I need to clue you into this little fact that this guy was a "bro-douche-bag," so he had it coming.

After she got done humiliating him in front of the entire guild, I whisper her "have my babez" because I wasn't a fan of this guy either. She and I chuckled over what was said and... well... the rest is history. I proposed to her this past December and we're getting married in over a year. =D
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

what is significant other and how do I obtain one?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I met my wife at college.

Initially she hated me because I made fun of her vast shoe collection (seriously: 3x 18 gallon tubs FULL). I get that I was 18, overly confident, and full of piss and vinegar. Funny enough, though, she was rooming with my best friend at the time, thus my initial 'in'. We were also part of the same program of distinction (some tech thing that didn't pay off at all). She got over her hatred and we became friends.

Friendship evolved and yada yada yada. Married!

Quote Originally Posted by so mad bro View Post
    I'll never understand those stories where the one of the partners hates the other and they end up married. Looks like some Disney bullshit to me.
    I suppose. To be fair, I was a young immature conceited kid. I probably deserved her loathing. After time and some growing up, it wasn't a huge issue.

Deleted
    I got her number and asked her on a date.

It's so unconventional these days apparently everyone makes a big deal that we dated, my country is really weird sometimes.

Deleted
    Mine was strange, we were both 16 at the time, I was walking home and seen a few of my friends/band mates sitting around a bench in the park, there was a girl who I had never seen before and she immediately caught my eye, We didnt talk very much but I asked her if she had a cigarette as a way to start talking, she did so we chatted for about 20 mins before she headed off. I asked about who she was and I didnt think she was all that interested and then later that night her friend was hitting on me a lot so we ended up getting together that night(not sex just kissing and whatnot) anyway turns out her friend knew that the girl i liked also felt the same way and was trying to get with me out of spite(strange or what?) so I met the girl I liked 2 weeks later at a gig and I explained the whole situation to her and 10 years later we're still together have a family and we are getting married next year. Funny how it works.

put shortly, WoW.

I joined a guild, did strat with her and some others one night after MC, heard her voice(south african <3) on TS, got chatting, I was with another girl at the time, but it didnt last. ended up together, we are now married with a daughter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senchae View Post
    Mine was strange, we were both 16 at the time, I was walking home and seen a few of my friends/band mates sitting around a bench in the park, there was a girl who I had never seen before and she immediately caught my eye, We didnt talk very much but I asked her if she had a cigarette as a way to start talking, she did so we chatted for about 20 mins before she headed off. I asked about who she was and I didnt think she was all that interested and then later that night her friend was hitting on me a lot so we ended up getting together that night(not sex just kissing and whatnot) anyway turns out her friend knew that the girl i liked also felt the same way and was trying to get with me out of spite(strange or what?) so I met the girl I liked 2 weeks later at a gig and I explained the whole situation to her and 10 years later we're still together have a family and we are getting married next year. Funny how it works.
    How is that strange? That's incredibly common in modern society.

Met my husband in Mechanar. He was such a flirt with one of my fellow girl wow players but she was with someone, and I just thought his surety of himself was such a turn on (he was a tauren warrior tank, how sexy!). He heard me talk on vent one night and he said I had a sexy voice so we started talking and it was on from there. He was from Canada and me the states, so we took turns visiting each other. He proposed to me when he came to see me for Christmas. We got married and it's been almost two years now, AND we still play wow together.

Met on a website as he was moving to Hawaii from Guam in a year from the day we first chatted. About every 3 months or so I'd log in and just ask "Are you here yet?" and finally he just said "Yep I got here 7 days ago." So we met up and it was magic.

Deleted
    I'm actually writing a book about how I met my significant other.
    I was on a website where I would sing live (love singing) every night, I had my own moderators to get rid of the "TITS OR GTFO" people (trolls lol), and he came into my channel and listened to me every day for a week and we started talking when I wasn't singing and the rest is history. I'm going to skip over about 75% of the story and just say the most interesting points: I am from America, him from Europe. Needless to say, I'm living in Europe for the past 3 years happily with my husband.

After typing up pretty much an essay, I realized nobody really cares so..
    TL,DR;
    Senior year met a girl, she was great but too young, immature. Lasted a few years, abusive family, bad childhood and upbringing, she treated me like crap, etc. Was determined to stay with her through it all, promising I'd never leave. Still treated me like crap. My family and friends hated her, best friend set me up to start talking to his girlfriend's best friend thinking we'd get along due to similar interests in hopes that I'd leave the abusive relationship I was in. Instead, I used her to make my girlfriend jealous. Mistake.

Girlfriend realized what she had and was afraid she'd lose me, cleaned up her act for a long time treating me much better, I stopped talking to the other girl. She was devastated because I was the first guy to ever talk to her and she was already out of high school, being a loner her whole life. She waited, hoping one day I'd come back. Girlfriend broke my heart down the road, left out of nowhere, spent months grieving and kicking myself that I was blind and should have left her long before. Called up the other girl after a year of no contact whatsoever, just to apologize for hurting her and that I should never have used her like that.

We're getting married when we can afford it. I can't believe she took me back and am so happy she did. I was immature and stupid. She's always been perfect for me. Plays video games like a fiend, including MMOs. Big on books and movies, not much of a social life. Doesn't really like people, just like me. It's bliss. My ex wouldn't know how to play a video game if she wanted to. I'd have never been happy.

AND THAT'S MY STOREH.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    TLDR;
    Online, I was 17 and he was 21.
    Now 20 and 24, married last year.
    Hope to start the immigration process soon. He's from Canada, and I'm from South Carolina. Unfortunately, there's probably a long, cruel road that we'll have to go down in the process.

Sadly i dont have a significant other currently Would like one but nothing yet :P

Anyway, Its amazing to see how many people meet through WoW or other games and get married, have kids and spend there lives together. If you never played that game, Or that day you met didnt log in and went out you wouldnt have your other half you have now.. (you could but :P) so its nice and romantic. id love to meet a girl through a game as then i know we have a commen intrest but nothing yet =(

10+ Year Old Account
    This is going to sound quite pathetic I suppose...

but wayyy back when, we both were in the same guild. Honestly, it didn't even start off as 'omg shes a girl'. I couldn't care less. She hated me and I didn't care for her. It was all because some guy in our guild kept insisting she was my girlfriend. I shrugged it off as 'whatever'. She hated me because she thought I put him up to it and was really annoyed by it. A few months pass and she finds out that I'm just as annoyed as she is about it, and we get to just talking in-game about random things. We ran things together, raided, etc. I server transferred because I got accepted into a world 29 guild and was excited about it, but for some reason she followed because she had nothing else to do. She joined the guild 'as my "girlfriend"' so she could get a free invite and we played it off as that just so she wouldn't be guildless.

A few months pass and we decide to meet up. Its risky to do so because you never know what to expect. I mean she knew what I looked like and I knew what she looked like via skype, but it was still different. I did have an interest in her, and yes I know its WoW, but I can't deny it. We met up and ended up spending a week together. Let me tell you: No week has ever been as perfect as that one. We hit it off immediately. This isn't some stupid teenage love story. I can honestly say its real. We've been together ever since. We see each other every few months, and next year I'll be transferring to a college near where she goes. I am embarrassed to say I have met the love of my life through a video game, but I do not regret it. I haven't been happier and can't see myself with anyone else. Neither can she.

10+ Year Old Account
    CompuServe Roleplaying Forum, back in the 90's

For a while we rp'd together as pals, then one day I realized that other feelings were growing in me when I was thinking about her. I decided to ask her if she'd be interested in a long-distance-online-relationship (She lived in Ohio and I was back then in Berlin, Germany), and she said... nothing at first. Figuring that she's either upset or rolling on the floor, laughing at the moron who asked her, I told her "Just kidding". That's when she responded and she almost tore me a new one, telling me I'd rather not just been kidding as she was quite interested in knowing me more and that all her hints had been sailing straight over my head.
    We begun then to chat more and more about our RL stuff, then after a month I finally asked her for her phone number and stuttered and muttered my way through the first call. Subsequent calls went smoother and better and just after Christmas 2000 she came to Berlin to visit me. Since I lived with my parents then (which she knew) I rented a little apartment for 3 nights, hoping for some snuggling and maybe a bit more before she leaves.
    Less than 2 hours after she arrived we made love the first time, and I followed her to the USA end of March 2001. We got married 5 days after me arriving here. Never rued the day, never thought I'd be better off single.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Deleted
    This thread makes me smile
    My part of the Disney bullshit (as "so mad bro" describes ):

I found my significant other on the safety of my couch behind my laptop. My housemate had his childhood friend visiting. He saw me in my sweats eagerly being a nerd and thought she's the one! I saw him in his trendy clothes, athletic body, blonde hair and blue-eyes and was wondering what this jock wanted from me. He loved the fact that I did not trust his posey appearances for a second and was very distant, he enjoyed my distrust and was keen on proving me wrong. In time I discovered that he wasn't the stereotype I portrayed him to be. And 3 years ago in the Carnaval holiday (in the Netherlands this means loud, drunk and skimpy people - Yes Dutchies you can't deny the skimpy clothes and the so called alcohol-treshold-lowering behaviour) we decided to hide from society together. Now we are both enjoying the safety of OUR couch ^^.

At OP: Good luck on the proposal!!!!!
    At Bambivere: Hang in there!! It will all be worth it in the end.

I like all the long distance relationships

10+ Year Old Account
    4chan. Strange enough.

We met during a online D&D session in which she was trolling the DM. Seeing that the campaign was going downhill I jumped ship from the get go after a "so long, and thanks for all the fish" comment. We ran into each other in another session and seeing that we played WoW on the same server, started talking more. We met up after I stopped in Germany during transit to Afghanistan. we met up again in the states, and she started the immigration process, when I sped up by proposing to her. Since i'm Military, there is apparently a "War Bride" clause that put her application into the express lane. Happily together for 4 years.