Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    It is a ladder. It does have a pinnacle. It is an infinite ladder with the pinnacle being whatever the highest rung happens to be at.
    He says there is no pinnacle, you say that the pinnacle is at infinity, you are saying the same thing.
    Just pointing out is that at some point you can fall down from the ladder when the world changes around you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans are indeed special. We are currently leading the evolutionary race.

That said, I think humans as a species are devolving now and have been for quite a while. Survival of the fittest no longer applies and the stupid people have far too fast of a reproductive rate.

Intelligence was what separated our species, but it is no longer a prized trait and ignorance has taken over. No telling when humanity peaked, but it has been spiraling down for a very long time.

There are obviously other smart species out there. Only a matter of time before humans either kill themselves or another species overtakes us (unless we kill them first).
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    Other species have arguments.

Conversations haven't exactly proven to be anything of worth.

I think we're not special, we're simply the most evolved living organism.

Most evolved? We are not some goal of a natural phenomenon. Evolution does not have an "end game".

Put it another way, when the sun finally goes through heat death, if humans survive we'll be the only species that was capable of surviving (by deep space exploration/colonization) aside from domesticated animals that will survive due to human sentimentality towards them. Cute puppies will survive because humans bring them along as we appreciate their parasitic lives.
    Even if something like that does happen it does not give evolution a goal. That would be like calling Blackholes the goal of gravity.

Does that make us / them special?

The question remains, when will we welcome our cyborg overlords? Because sentient machines are bound to be far more resilient than humans. Will we still consider those inventions human? When the technology exists to upload your mind/soul/brain into a machine, is that still human?
    I think humanity will cross that bridge when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Race? Race towards what exactly?

That said, I think humans as a species are devolving now and have been for quite a while. Survival of the fittest no longer applies and the stupid people have far too fast of a reproductive rate.
    As already pointed out, there is no such thing as "devolving". Survival of the fittest STILL DOES APPLY. It's just that the environment has changed (to being beyond recognition).

Intelligence was what separated our species, but it is no longer a prized trait and ignorance has taken over. No telling when humanity peaked, but it has been spiraling down for a very long time.
    In a sense, this might be true.

There are obviously other smart species out there. Only a matter of time before humans either kill themselves or another species overtakes us (unless we kill them first).
    Realistically, we'll be killing them first, I can guarantee that!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    Simply saying that of course doesn't mean anything, but I do believe that in the field of morality (so not talking about health or scientific theories) there is never an actual right or wrong answer. No matter how I as a person may be attached to some moral belief
    There's certainly no consensus in the field of ethics. But I think that's because it's been lagging behind for a while, due to religion basically. Think about it, for a long time all these things are simply answered by "God said it's right, therefore it's right". It's one thing to challenge the Bible's account of how humans where created, but to challenge what God says is good or not is a whole new ballgame. Now we're in a more and more secular world and these things are starting to present problems, we realise now just saying "it's good" isn't enough, many theists argue you can't say your "objectively" (hate these terms, personally) right or wrong in morality without basing it on a Deity, but many high profile people are now challenging this. Not to mention, the amount of variables with something like morality makes it so much more complicated than most other topics, so it's tough.

I gotta go now unfortunately, but if your intrested in this topic I highly suggest giving this video a watch, it's a good place to start,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Race? Race towards what exactly?
    That's the million dollar question: what is life, evolution for? Why does it exist? A lot think there is no end and all life is just an accidental occurrence, but it has been becoming more complex (based on what's been seen on this planet) is it leading to something?

Anyway, to be honest I've had the feeling that a lot of people just want to argue and pointing out at wrong semantics without even trying to interpret what the other person meant.
    Someone said that humans are special because we are "more evolved"? He's probably talking about technology, no reason to give a biology lesson

(ok I'm guilty too about that cancer contaminated cells thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

/flex

I would say we're pretty OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybuds View Post

What do you think? Are humans special?
    As special as any other living thing I suppose. Quite often more flawed though.

Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    Anyway, to be honest I've had the feeling that a lot of people just want to argue and pointing out at wrong semantics without even trying to interpret what the other person meant.
    Someone said that humans are special because we are "more evolved"? He's probably talking about technology, no reason to give a biology lesson

(ok I'm guilty too about that cancer contaminated cells thing)
    It's nothing personal, just that if you're gonna use the word "evolve" in a discussion about evolution, you should probably use it correctly.
    Last edited by Borzo; 2012-02-15 at 06:42 PM.

I think we are special.

We are the only species that can be self conscious.
    We can be aware of our own breathing and thoughts and emotions. Animals only act out of instinct but we can become aware of our instinct and not act them out.

Basically what i'm trying to say, is we can watch our selves thinking about thinking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post

Will it be the raptors?
    I bet its the raptors. THEY CAN OPEN DOORS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

Yeah, we're special. By any definition I've seen, anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    Will it be the raptors?
    I bet its the raptors. THEY CAN OPEN DOORS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!
    Nah, fucking cockroaches or an oil monster.

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.
    I like sandwiches