Thread: 24 Hour shift.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Best I found was http://www.ehow.com/info_10029166_8h...day-rules.html

Which basically doesn't much other than you have to be paid overtime for anything over 40 hours per week. There doesn't seem to be a limit on how much you can work in a day.

And it's a state-by-state case, but employers are not required to give breaks in some places, so good luck.....

you dont get paid overtime for salary =P

they rope you in with the good money, then forget to tell you overtime is in the contract, lol (at least programming in the gaming industry =P)

OT: 80-90 hr weeks are pretty regular for a lot of people in the industry to make sure you all get the games you enjoy, so keep that in mind next time all you gamers out there that wanna bitch about a certain game, lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    you dont get paid overtime for salary =P

they rope you in with the good money, then forget to tell you overtime is in the contract, lol (at least programming in the gaming industry =P)

OT: 80-90 hr weeks are pretty regular for a lot of people in the industry to make sure you all get the games you enjoy, so keep that in mind next time all you gamers out there that wanna bitch about a certain game, lol
    Id rather have developers take their time instead of killing themselves to fill a deadline and only being able to produce a half-assed game, as many of the newer titles have shown to be in the past 5 years.

Id prefer developers to take their time with regular shifts, and not crunch hours on end to the point where they get exhausted and cant think straight. Because believe it or not it really does show in their products.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I worked 24 hour shifts in the army. worked 24 on and 48 off. basically keep your mind busy. don't sit down for very long and take an mp3 player with you.

Worst I ever did was 36 hours when I was in IT. Server crashed and we went home when everything was working. The hardest part for me was taking a break. I could do it so long as I didn't stop and give myself enough time to realize how exhausted I was. Eventually the 2nd, 3rd, 4th wind kicked in we got the job done but I was a zombie for a good 2 days after.

You might want to have a ride setup to bring home you home. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I hope they are at lest paying you overtime :P
    If he works over 40 hours for the week he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Id rather have developers take their time instead of killing themselves to fill a deadline and only being able to produce a half-assed game, as many of the newer titles have shown to be in the past 5 years.

Id prefer developers to take their time with regular shifts, and not crunch hours on end to the point where they get exhausted and cant think straight. Because believe it or not it really does show in their products.

no, no, no, you miss my point. they dont scramble and cram hours in at the end of the game to get it done, they do this the entire time, year in and year out. almost as many personal relationships have been ruined in my life from working in the industry, then to some of my friends that have hardcore addictions to the games, lol.

although i will agree with you that a lot of games in the past 5 years have come out as shit, its just an unfortunate thing about the industry in having to make deadlines for some corp dude to make more money, lol or something to that affect.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerthe View Post
    I'm going to share an ancient tip for truck drivers who have to keep active for hours after feeling exhausted.

IF you have the possibility to take a break for 20-30ish minutes at some point for whatever the reason, you should try to take a very fast nap. Lay somewhere or sit comfortably and put your keys in your hand loosely (dont wrap em around your fingers or anything). Make sure there is something hard (metal would be good) directly below your key-hand. Then just try to sleep, which shouldn't be hard being up for long.

Once your body enters the "sleep mode" your muscles relax and the muscle tonus fades (some people feel this too right before falling asleep; you might jolt very fast in bed or your limbs might move a little for no reason very fast). This should make your keys fall out of your hand to the floor or whatever you're floating your hand over. Once the keys fall, it makes a sudden sound... and you wake up!

Just swiftly visiting sleep your pushback the feeling of having to sleep. Don't get me wrong, it is hard to get up and continue working, but after like 5 minutes once you're again up and walking you should be ok for 2-6 hours.

I've personally tested this many times and the results really are amazing. Hope this helps!

(Using an alarm from your mobile might work too, if you can predict the time when you fall asleep. But the key-thingy is better in my opinion.)
    I thought that trick became obsolete with the introduction of cruise control trucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Larini View Post
    yes it's legal as long as they give you short breaks during it.

Drink plenty of water it helps your body function plus having to pee keeps you wide awake lol.
    It's not legal in MN.

Deleted
    I have the same type of job and I'm just about ready to top myself after every 9 hour shift. 24 hours?! That's frigging brutal man.

Personally, I'd pull a sicky but if the job is vital, just make sure you have plenty of stimulating stuff to do in your breaks, like reading/gaming, so you don't go insane and drink Red Bull til you cry taurine tears in the 23rd hour!

you don't need to eat to "keep your sugar from getting low". your body produces its own sugar if it senses it is getting low. however, you should eat to feel at your best.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    i do 17h/d for a month every year (i'll delete the word "holiday" from my dictionary within a few years -.-)

just go sleep for 10h and go back sleep as soon as you get back from work

and do a 20min nap whenever you can

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    I worked a 24 hour shift at Frys Electronics for Black Friday this year, and unfortunately, there's a little more to be worried about than just staying awake. Turns out, if your scheduled work day ends in the middle of your shift then your shift technically restarts as well. I was clocked in for 18.5 hours of my shift and received a whopping 1.5 hours of OT. A shift that should be worth ~200-300 dollars is reduced to less than half. Gotta love the corporate world because this is all 100% signed and approved of by our local legislation.

On topic, just keep moving. Soon as I sat down during my shift I'd get tired as hell, but when I kept moving I wouldn't notice being tired. Also, 5 hour energy drinks were my poison of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    My friend introduced this to me a few years back. I wonder if one would be able to work out the "uberman" while working a normal job. The only way I see it being successful is if you had little to nothing to do. I'll try it one day though...maybe when I retire haha.

OT: I only have a part-time job, so I'm not used to working long hours. Anyways, make sure to keep clocks away from wherever you will be working if possible. There's nothing worse than feeling like you have worked for several hours only to look at the clock and see it's been 45 minutes. Everyone knows it is easier said than done, but you will get through it easily. Good luck man!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntimidate View Post
    My friend introduced this to me a few years back. I wonder if one would be able to work out the "uberman" while working a normal job. The only way I see it being successful is if you had little to nothing to do. I'll try it one day though...maybe when I retire haha.

OT: I only have a part-time job, so I'm not used to working long hours. Anyways, make sure to keep clocks away from wherever you will be working if possible. There's nothing worse than feeling like you have worked for several hours only to look at the clock and see it's been 45 minutes. Everyone knows it is easier said than done, but you will get through it easily. Good luck man!
    Uberman would be difficult, but I regularly* manage to pull off the Everyman4nap and work 12 hour night shifts(nurse)
    Only problem is if its a crazy night and you don't get the "core sleep" between 00:00-05:00, it really leaves you feeling fucked if you miss it, but if you can pull it off then it does work.
    *Not every night, but around 10 or so nights a month.
    I don't stick to the sleeping pattern every day mainly because I can't guarantee getting a break during the time needed, and It "feels" better when you get a solid 8 hours sleep rather than stop-starting the cycle.

Deleted
    All you really need to do is go to sleep late the night before, like 4 in the morning late and wake up around 1 o'clock in the day. This way you won't really feel sleepy till the next morning. By the end of your shift you'll bee exhausted, but still awake. It's actually not hard to go 24 hours without sleep, the hard part is when you get past 30 and still need to concentrate.

I have rather free schedule with raids being the only constant thing. Add laziness, having night proffered activity time and a job that usually starts around 8 pm, I get a very weird sleeping time. A few times I'll stay up whole night to and will not feel like going to sleep during the day, since I'll either will have to go to the raid right after waking up or I won't get enough sleep by then, I can sometimes get to 32-34 hours without sleep by the time raid start, and than it's 4 more. Than it really gets crazy. Heck, even now I'm writing this and it's 03:30 on the clock, hehe.

Anyway, what I'm saying 24 hour shift is not hard to do, as long as you are not bored to death during it. And get some rest for your legs if you're doing a lot of walking/standing. Longest I did was new years eve 14 hour long shift, but we have to be on our feet the whole time plus 40 minute long walk back home up the freaken hill.. I had maybe 30 mins of sitting down the whole night, that was painful, but I never was half asleep (obviously I was up before the shift for around 10 hours as well).

Anyway, just shift you sleeping time a bit for that day and you'll be fine, you won't even need crap like coffee or energy drinks for that.

between 1:00 and 5:00 or so could you just lock the doors and put up a sign that says "knock for entry", snooze by the door and try to wake up if you hear someone. :P

mainly I doubt anyone's going to be really persistent in "but it's 3:00 in the morning, I NEED THESE BEANS!!!" and call your manager for being asleep at that hour.

then again, I'm a mortal human who actually needs sleep and can't live on coffee. depends on the person I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

And I thought my 15 hour shifts were long!