Heroic Experimental slicer VS Normal Gurthalak Voice of Deeps for Unholy DK

Hello everybody,

I need your opinion on which weapon would be better for Unholy DK, given the two options

1- Heroic Experimental Slicer
    2- Normal Gur'thalak Voice of deeps

Now I'm thinking option 1 is better given the iLevel and stats, but I'm really not sure how good is the proc from Normal Gurth. Anyone did any tests or experienced this ?

Thanks alot for your feedback

Retribution pally in my main group has Gurth procs being sub-par. (i.e. he's getting 2 tentacles for the entire Madness fight and they're doing ~.80% of his dps) Unholy DK friend of mine reports his Gurth doing about ~1.5% of his overall dps. It's a personal choice I suppose, but I would take the Specimen Slicer, especially the Heroic version, over Gurth. The nerf just makes Gurth seem...obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Retribution pally in my main group has Gurth procs being sub-par. (i.e. he's getting 2 tentacles for the entire Madness fight and they're doing ~.80% of his dps) Unholy DK friend of mine reports his Gurth doing about ~1.5% of his overall dps. It's a personal choice I suppose, but I would take the Specimen Slicer, especially the Heroic version, over Gurth. The nerf just makes Gurth seem...obsolete
    Me and the fellow DK I play with must be incredibly lucky bc I havent seen the tentacles do less than 5% of either one of our damage on any whole fight. Gurth was not nerfed for Unholy in any way that I am aware of. 403>anything else but 416 Gurth for Unholy. Only exception would be maybe Spine where you need consistant damage. But in that situation, just go frost.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    As unholy, I have felt the woes of a bad fight (in terms of procs) from Gurth. That being said, if you are reforging correctly, i.e. Haste>mastery>crit, you should still see a dps gain from using the sword over ESS. Bad procs happen, but good procs also happen. If you want guaranteed dps, then use the axe.

One quick point, as the above poster mentioned, Gurth was nerfed for PALLYS ONLY. afaik the changes didnt effect unholy in any way. This could explain why he is seeing lower numbers than usual from the sword.

On average normal gurth will give you better dps. There's the bottom ~20% ish of attempts where you'll get poor luck with Gurth procs where you might have done better with ESS, but overall gurth is going to prove the better choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Nerf? You meant the nerf to Paladins? Because it has only had 2 changes. It went from a 10 sec proc to a 12. And no longer procs off of seals for Paladins.

Because of unholy mastery gurth is better than the 410 weapons, you'll be using that up until heroic madness. If you do change it out I'd go for the mace from Warmaster, that's what I was using with my Unholy until I got normal gurth.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

Deleted
    Unholy it works like

Gurth Heroic
    Gurth Normal
    Specimen Slicer Heroic
    Gurth LFR
    Specimen Slicer Normal
    Sulfuras

For the current moment atleast!

Taronar's list above is correct.

However do remember that you will likely benefit more from using Specimen Slicer when it comes to Spine Tendon damage due to the unreliable nature of the Gurthalak procs.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taronar View Post
    Unholy it works like

Gurth Heroic
    Gurth Normal
    Specimen Slicer Heroic
    Gurth LFR
    Specimen Slicer Normal
    Sulfuras

For the current moment atleast!
    Why would you pick ESS over Atraxis? When Gurthalak is not being used, mastery drops in value to below crit, making Atraxis that much better (haste/crit)? Am I missing something?

Deleted
    As far as I can tell, they are simply omitting Ataraxis to give a direct comparison between ESS and Gurthalak. Naturally, both versions of Ataraxis would be better than the respective ESS counterparts.

Wow thanks alot for the info. I'll give it a run with Gurth and see the change in dps, Ill let you know the numbers and difference in dps %.