Poll: Transmission preference?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    manual, although automatic would be nice sometimes but not in my car
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    I see my friend drive a manual and it certainly has a better feel driving the car, but I appreciate my automatic more.

I've only tried automatic once and I hated it.

Automatic is better on the highways in the US, you dont need to rev match to down shift. However manual transmissions should be saved for those who are either using their vehicle for power or performance. There is no real reason to have a manual transmission in a 4-cylinder vehicle.

I have a 5spd now in my Ranger and I don't really care for it unless I wanna pretend I'm the Stig. I hate shifting in traffic. My next new car will have the slapshift or flappy paddles. Then its auto for the 90% of my driving and paddles for a little more control when I wanna have fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Automatic is better on the highways in the US, you dont need to rev match to down shift. However manual transmissions should be saved for those who are either using their vehicle for power or performance. There is no real reason to have a manual transmission in a 4-cylinder vehicle.
    I don't honestly understand most of the comments in this thread.

1. It's "hard" to drive with a manual transmission? No it's not, you drive by reflex. In a lot of places in the world you can't actually drive with a manual transmission (and keep in mind there are way more cars with manual transmissions than with automatic out there) if you took your driving license with an automatic car.

2. Rev matching to downshift? Why is that an issue? If you want higher acceleration on a lower gear you just shift and go.

3. Automatic vs manual, which is better? A good automatic transmission is going to cost you *a lot*, and that's the end of that argument.

There's no reason not to have an automatic for a daily-driver type car.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

can't heel toe automatics
    can't scare people behind you w/ "the roll".. you know what i'm talking about.. <insert evil grin>

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    I don't know about elsewhere, but in the UK if you take your driving test in an automatic, you aren't allowed to drive manuals! Is that the same elsewhere?
    Not in Sweden, learned to drive in my parents manual, driving school only had manual as well.

Edit: Misread your question, you can take a liscens for only automatic, it's cheaper. But then you can't drive manuals with that liscens.

Anyways, Manual for me, never owned or driven an automatic
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-02-16 at 02:54 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Paddle shifting master race reporting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    I don't know about elsewhere, but in the UK if you take your driving test in an automatic, you aren't allowed to drive manuals! Is that the same elsewhere?

Anyway, I do know one person here (out of lots) who drives an automatic, but they are more expensive and are seen as being driven by people who have to use them because they can't drive very well... I stress that is just in the UK of course.
    Norway is like that as well.

Personally I prefer an auto, but I've only been behind the wheel three times (lazy and we have awesome public transport here), so I don't think my impressive 2tripsManual/1tripAuto-experience is something to judge by xP
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

I'm surprised by the poll, I thought more people were lazy and like automatic ^_^
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

Depends on what I'm driving. If it's my old WRX, stick all the way. If that thing was an automatic I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun. If it's a full size truck used daily, automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Manual is far more fun, saves gas, is faster and saves brakes.
    Nowadays auto and manual are about the same on gas. Autos are actually faster if tuned properly. Your everyday car isn't tuned for speed, but if you properly tune it auto pulls ahead. Manuals might save on breaks, but if shifting is done wrong it could cause more damage than just the minor cost of replacing brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafter View Post
    Is it true Automatic cars are more common in the United states? because in the UK I only ever see Manual cars
    Most of the cars, at least here in the south, are automatic. The main reason you see manuals are either A) They are cheaper, or B) It's a sporty car and they are more fun to drive with a stick. There are some cars that manuals are more expensive, since automatic transmission is what they are mass produced with so if you want a manual it costs extra because they have to make it special.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketzest View Post
    I'm surprised by the poll, I thought more people were lazy and like automatic ^_^
    That's just Americans, and this website has more people from Europe than it does America.

There's some dealerships you can go to in America and certain models you won't even be able to find a manual transmission on the lot. They only stock automatics and the manuals need to be ordered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goochy View Post
    Automatic...i enjoy the laziness?
    This. Never learned stick, don't see the point.
    Putin khuliyo