Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    No, not at all. It seems as if it was just written. The science part of it is very up to date. It all seems like the correct application of science in a purely fictional form ofc.
    yeah the reason for this is that It doesn't make the Science Fiction the focus. It uses it as a backdrop. Yes it goes into detail about some of it but it isn't the main focus. The main focus are the characters and the story. Because of this even when the scifi gets out of date the book will still stand up because of the story involved in it.

Also if you liked Enders Game you really should check out some of the other books by Orson Scott Card. he is by far my favorite Autor (Followed Shortly by Neil Gaimon, and G.R.R. Martin.) The Seventh Son series was great and Homecoming series were fantastic. Oh and if you like Scifi set in a modern age check out Empire and the sequal Hidden Empire. Both books were really great. Really I have not read anything by Orson Scott Card that I did not like. They are all well written and have a great story to them.

I never thought there was too much potential in the sequels, most because the first book did practically EVERYTHING you could want a book to do, so I just didn't bother buying the sequels. They are in my queue to read, but I have a ton of books in front of them.

The book does stand the test of time, it's lasted... 30+ years so far, and that's a pretty big deal in science fiction. It makes sense on several levels, the writing is easy to understand. It's just really easy to get into. Definitely worth a read, but I feel most books are worth a read.

lol wow. you caught me doing a small project for my class on Children of the Mind. i read it for over the summer work and did a newspaper project on Xenocide. while i loved it but i always wanted to take a break because i hate reading when im required to.

I had to read this book for English class in... 8th or 9th grade I think? Quite a few years ago. I really, really enjoyed it. I just hope they don't mess the film up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    I had to read this book for English class in... 8th or 9th grade I think? Quite a few years ago. I really, really enjoyed it. I just hope they don't mess the film up.
    A film is being made on it? Oh jeez... they never go over too well. I doubt I would see if it one were to come out. I would be too disappointed (most likely).

A film is being made on it? Oh jeez... they never go over too well. I doubt I would see if it one were to come out. I would be too disappointed (most likely).
    Film has been in planning stage for about 10 years now. No director, no cast, I don't think they even have a script. Don't worry about the film. The only thing is that the film rights have been bought. That's all.

The book is okay but I haven't really read anything else by Card after I found out what an unlikeable **** the man himself is.

A novel that has a very clean and appealing story, especially for a character that is a child. Great read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was the first book I really fell in love with after a teacher gave me a copy to give me something to do back in elementary as I was often really bored/finished all my work in elementary.

Of the sequels though, Ender's shadow was the only one I really got into.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    Caution: After reading this you will be upset that there isn't a movie based off the book yet.
    They are in pre-production for this movie yet again. I hope it doesn't suck.

IMDB about it - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

I really enjoyed the first book. Tried reading one of the sequels, couldn't get into it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    Caution: After reading this you will be upset that there isn't a movie based off the book yet.
    I hope it stays that way tbh. A movie could never stand up to my expectations for that book.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterilize View Post
    I hope it stays that way tbh. A movie could never stand up to my expectations for that book.
    I agree.

And for all the people who say that the sequels cannot maintain your standard... have you read Speaker for the Dead? You have to realize the approach of the rest of the series is away from being in head of command of something and the whole combat situation and it heavily gravitates towards philosophical and scientific views.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is definitely one of my favorite books as well. The ending of this book is probably right below the ending of Grapes of Wrath imo. Assigned for school and now endeared to my heart forever. Definitely recommend.

At first I saw this title from another book I was reading. It was the author's recommendation. I read this book in a span of 2 days. It is simply amazing. The detail is OUTSTANDING and I felt like I was the character in the book. (This book has about 400 pages, as well as the rest except for Xenocide which has 600+).

Ender's Game is about Andrew "Ender" Wiggin who is the third child in his family. This book is set in a time where a "Third", as they are known in this book, is a disgrace to society. Any more than two children makes the family look bad. He is sent off to Battle School where... yaddah yaddah, I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I had gotten the sequel to this book "Ender in Exile." This book explains the gap of time from Ender's Game to Speaker for the Dead. I, again, read this one in two days. Through the "magic" of relativistic travel through space, Ender does not age nearly as quickly as everyone he knows... except for a certain individual.

After that, I HAD to get the sequel to Ender in Exile. Speaker for the Dead is the one I read in a single day (early morning to LATE at night). I literally COULD NOT put it down. It relies heavily on philosophical explanations and religion plays a role in this one.

I will now buy the last two books in this series, Xenocide and Children of the Mind.

After reading all of these, I plan on getting Ender's Shadow and all the sequels for that. This is a "sub-story" from the point of view of Bean. Bean is one of Ender's closest friends (one of his ONLY friends). The sequels describe his life before meeting Ender, in Battle School, and after Battle School. This also spans much farther than a normal human's life. I will not spoil anything in this series about Bean. The knowledge you learn from reading Ender's Game and it's sequels are too meaningful to mention here.

I BEG YOU. PLEASE read these books.

There are some books you simply pass up. There are some books that have a little bit of meaning. Then... there are books where it's story and characters embed your mind for the rest of your life. This book is jaw droppingly brilliant. This is a must read for any sci-fi fan.

If anyone has read this, please leave comments; I could not find anything on "Ender's Game" on MMO-Champion and I wanted to start a discussion on it.
    Enders game is definitely one of my top recommended reads for new sci-fi readers or even older readers who skipped it. but i honestly thought that speaker for the dead was extraordinarily boring.. and i read alot i have well over 2200 books on my laptop & kendil fire.

Some other Great Scifi that i would recommend
    Jack Campbells - The Lost Fleet
    Simon Green - Deathstalker
    David Weber - Honor Harrington series (14+ books so far)

just to get your feet wet ..

If you are into scifi I got a couple books for you. I have read all the ender books sequels and prequils. None of them hold up to Enders game and Enders shadow the same story from 2 different point of views. I have read all of the ender and bean books. But the later books get a little too preachy for my taste and I feel like im just reading about card's personal outlook on life. The storys are thrilling dont get me wrong just too preachy I prefer a little more action hence why I liked the game and first shadow.

If your like me I got a scifi series for you, Mag Force 7, by Margret Wiess, she did the Dragonlance books originally and is the creater of several series all of which I have read. Rose of the prophet, Star of the Guardian, Death gate cycle, Sovreign Stone, Darksword and I have read the 2 new books of her Dragonvarld series.

Anyway Mag force 7, its a sequel and spin off of Star of the guardian that focuses on a Merc team in the future who are aptly called mag force 7, they do black ops shoot um up infiltration shit. Very thrilling, the first book Knights of the Black earth, check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

They have director, producer, and a fair number of actors signed on. I approve of Harrison Ford as Colonel Graff, though I struggle to draw a visual comparison. I mostly approve based on his acting ability alone.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this is a bit of a necro, but I saw that there is a movie of this coming out. I have never been big into the Sci-Fi book genre, but I have heard nothing but good things about the book series.

My question is after doing a little bit of research, I have seen that while the books have come out over the years, the chronology doesn't happen in order. Should I start reading them in publication date order, or in the order in which they chronologically take place? Also, are the short stories necessary to understand the series?

Just read enders game as a stand alone book.. i know that speaker for the dead was horrible and was nothing like the first.. put me off on the rest of the series. (might as well have been 2 different characters sharing the same name is how bad speaker for the dead was)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    Just read enders game as a stand alone book.. i know that speaker for the dead was horrible and was nothing like the first.. put me off on the rest of the series. (might as well have been 2 different characters sharing the same name is how bad speaker for the dead was)
    Are the stories in each novel not a continuation of the last?

10+ Year Old Account
    I started with Ender's Game, then read the sequel-trilogy (Speaker for the Dead, Children of the Mind, Xenocide), and then the Shadow saga (the first book, Ender's Shadow, is within the same general timeframe as Ender's Game, but with a different character).

Those are all I've read, and I never stopped and said "This seems like it has been explained elsewhere. Curse you, Card!".

Just a quick warning, though: Speaker for the Dead and the other books in that trilogy are heavier on philosophy than Ender's Game was, and many end up not liking them because of the major difference. Personally, I prefer them for that reason :P

So, to sum up: Short stories are definitely not necessary for understanding. And when it comes to reading order, do this: If you liked the action-y, militaristic themes of Ender's Game, continue with the Shadow books. If you'd rather indulge in philosophy, xenophobia, and a generally slower-paced story, proceed with the Speaker for the Dead etc..

Hope this helps =)

Edit: The direct continuations with Ender happen a couple thousand years after Ender's Game, so it really is a different world we're talking about. They focus more on how humankind reacts when co-existence with different species is needed, and other "heavy" themes. The books with "Shadow" somewhere in the title resemble Ender's Game more, but the focus is on the character called Bean.
    Last edited by Calzaeth; 2013-05-10 at 12:17 AM.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P