Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I'm interested in seeing some solid PvP builds. What you guys got for me?

I personally I'm trying to work out a really good pistol/shield turret build but it's difficult. Every new build I try I tend to get smoked in battlegrounds.
    Use a rifle, its got much more cc/jump around going for it. I drop all my turrets at a cap point, then just try to keep the enemy away from me whilst being in range of the 2 flame turrets.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more I play with Engineer, the more I wish Mace/Mace was an option, themed after stun batons.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I have been messing around with the Engineer for a little bit and am only level 10. But I am really enjoying the class, although I do have some questions because I feel a bit overwhelmed with my options...

I am using a rifle as my main weapon, I really like the ability to throw nets, use blunderbuss and overpowered along with jump shot. I feel I can utilize these skills very well.

Now that I have unlocked the grenade kit, I am not so sure how I should be playing this. If you use a grenade kit does that replace your main weapon? I am just kind of confused on how this is suppose to work, because it seems a little clunky trying to juggle all of the grenade skills along with my rifle skills. Some of the abilities seem to be redundant.

If a more experienced Engineer could give some helpful tips on what they have learned with some of the kits and play styles of the Engineer that would be great. Maybe something that has/hasn't worked well for you. Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    If you use a grenade kit does that replace your main weapon? I am just kind of confused on how this is suppose to work, because it seems a little clunky trying to juggle all of the grenade skills along with my rifle skills. Some of the abilities seem to be redundant.
    Equipping the grenade kit replaces your rifle skills while it's equipped, yes.

The difference is that grenades are aoe and have 1200 range, and apply way more conditions than the rifle does, not to mention different conditions - especially once you start getting more into the traits. Traits involving explosions really support the grenade kit well.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-02 at 04:59 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

What I realized about Engineer is the build is dependent on the kit that you want to use, then you decide your weapon...I hate that.

For example rifle and flame thrower get the biggest bang for your buck out of power while pistol and grenades from condition damage.

Thats really the same for pretty much every profession. Most cases you want a secondary that helps your main weapons build. At least thats been my experience so far with mesmer as well at 30. When I tried a condition build I wanted scepter/staff, the only leeway is what offhand you use with scepter. If I went a crit build, basically the same thing sword/??? and 2 handed sword. Probably want pistol with sword in most cases though.

What do people suggest as my third ability? I have the Rocket Turret, Bomb Kit & I'm using the Pistol & Shield.

Also why does the Power Suit suck so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    What I realized about Engineer is the build is dependent on the kit that you want to use, then you decide your weapon...I hate that.

For example rifle and flame thrower get the biggest bang for your buck out of power while pistol and grenades from condition damage.

That's the way the Engineer is, nothing wrong with that, since he only has 3 weapons to use anyway.

I got the flamethrower last night, spent 10 minutes jetting flames in to the air and giggling. I wish I was joking.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post

I went explosions and grenade kit, but I could never find specifics on conditions. They sounded like dots to me, so I'm assuming if something is on fire/poison grenade counts as condition?

If that is the case, I'm doing it all wrong gearing power this whole time. As an aside, I wish the '1' ability was an autoattack grenade throwing. I understand that it's more versatile since you can throw the suckers wherever you want, but I'm going to break my mouse spam clicking that thing.

I'm only level 28, but the entire scope of the engineer(pun totally intended) feels so awesome. Not only am I tossing death bombs at every turn, but I can heal and buff groups of people, jump all over the place like a madman, cc things...it's so much fun to play.

Has anyone higher level experimented with any of the other specific builds? I really loved the flamethrower for questing, but I couldn't clearly see what I should have been traiting for in order to improve it to be as good/better as grenades.

Can anyone here give some good advice for a good support build? Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    Can anyone here give some good advice for a good support build? Thanks in advance!
    Something with elixirs and the elixir gun would probably work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in my mid 60's now and I'm feeling relatively underpowered in some instances. I don't think any of the kits really do enough damage, many skills offer alternatives rather than boosts, with the tool belt abilities being not that fantastic overall to make up for this.

I see theives/warriors/guardians and rangers burning down mobs in seconds nearby, whilst I have to bounce around doing silly crap just to get a measily normal mob dead. This does not seem fair. I think perhaps some kind of liniancy with turrets, being able to move them, their cooldowns if you pick them up etc, could go a long way to fix this. I also think damage from rifle/pistol and other kits could be tweaked a tiny bit in the upwards direction. Also having to set the autofire on everytime you open a pack is a huge pain in the ass and a waste of time.

Yeah the kits need work, auto attack and stat loss are my main issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post

I see theives/warriors/guardians and rangers burning down mobs in seconds nearby,
    Yeah i am only level 26 just now and running about the Kessex Hills i am having to blow all my skills and circle strafe just to kill a mob. I see warriors and thieves jump in and *whack* *whack* *splat*. The fact that you cant simply pick up a turret and place it somewhere else is a very odd design.

I really want to want to like my engineer but they seem a bit underwhelming thus far.

You can burn down mobs thats not an issue at all and you can play support also if you want...Wait until you hot 30 and do your first instance which is AC and see how much time you spend running from rez and rezing downed players! You will wish you traited healing and was using Elixir and Med kits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only level 22 but I've noticed Flamethrower kit does a shitload more damage than Rifle/Pistol, the burn damage is nuts (goes something like 90>130>150>180>200>240) and it's pretty much a no-brainer for DE's, veterans and world mini-bosses. In AoE situations things get even more ridiculous because the burn damage stays the same across each mob (combine with Flame Wall + Radiation Field = lololol).

So I just end up using Thumper Turret to keep mobs off me and burn them down. Rifle/Pistol are just stat sticks or to use when Thumper is down, atleast in PvE (haven't tried PvP yet) >_>

Is that sounding about right or is there a better way to go about killing stuff as Engi quickly? :S
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

They are not stat sticks because when you equip a kit your weapon effectively becomes unequiped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well
    That sucks then
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze