10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I am 51 now with my engineer. I usually use two pistols but don't really use the glue gun so I may switch to Pistol/Shield after looking at some of the recent posts here. I have a different question, though, how do you use the grenade kit on the move? It's really good for blasting down a group from range but the moment there is a lot of movement involved, I am a really lousy player.
    Try to get your cam at maxrange, trafe with E and aim quickly with your mouse, it's a pretty easy complex, yet kind of hard to execute at perfection, you'll get it eventually, it's just as playing an FPS (kind of).
    Once you get the grenadeer trait you'll start to deal a truckload of damage on area, try getting lots of power/precision and focus a bit on condition damage, there are a lot of traits in the power tree that will give you some conditions upon critical hits (oh yeah, 20 stacks of vulnerability without much trouble )

Now to the trick part where the tageting begins, if you want to throw the bombs just to where you're standing while moving (let's say you are moving left) you have to put your cursor on the left part of your character so the bombs will be thrown at the point you casted it, when the cast is done, the grenades will fall on your legs.
    If you want to throw them at your left while you're strafing left, let the cursor right below you and start using grenades, the cast will allow you to "drop the bombs" right at your side (left side).
    Last edited by barackopala; 2012-10-09 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Once you get the grenadeer trait you'll start to deal a truckload of damage on area, try getting lots of power/precision and focus a bit on condition damage, there are a lot of traits in the power tree that will give you some conditions upon critical hits (oh yeah, 20 stacks of vulnerability without much trouble )
    On this kind of note... I am kind of torn in my grenadier build, whether I should go power/crit or condition damage. On one hand I can take full advantage of the endless vulnerability I throw up, on the other I can abuse the condition damage from shrapnel grenades and rocket kicks... I have a feeling I will end up staying with power and then just stacking % boosts from rune of ice, 20x vulnerability, and other things.

OH and for movement, frost grenades have expanded blasts (20 feet rather than 12), so you can open up with those and give someone 7 1/2 seconds of chill right off the bat, which renders them near immobile and open to further blasting.
    Just pray they don't dodge em.
    Last edited by BoomChickn; 2012-10-09 at 01:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    On this kind of note... I am kind of torn in my grenadier build, whether I should go power/crit or condition damage. On one hand I can take full advantage of the endless vulnerability I throw up, on the other I can abuse the condition damage from shrapnel grenades and rocket kicks...
    mmm... tough one, I've been trying to balance those 3 stats (up to a certain point) and i've gotten to a point where after a 33%+ crit for me seemed a bit too much, so i started focusing on condition damage, the downside of it is DE encounters (let's say the shatterer or any other kind of veteran/champion event that implies a lot of characters getting conditions), why you may ask? It's extremely simple: Condition stacking limit, a player/npc can only reach up to 25 stacks on conditions (the only that are stackable, like bleeding and vulnerability), any condition that go past the 25 stack count will not affect the target, meaning that you'll be dealing less dps overall.

To sumarize: Condition damage granadeer -> Excells on solo - Can be extremely powerfull on dungeons (the fact of me using can is due to the condition limit, so it ends up depending on what kind of party you have, if you have a lot of condition stackers, you might lower your dps by a bit (not that much either) - Doesn't deal it's full potential on "world events" (Dinamics where a lot of people are doing it)

10+ Year Old Account
    any videos of a lv 80 engineer killing around Orr? I`d like to see how it handles the undeads.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    mmm... tough one, I've been trying to balance those 3 stats (up to a certain point) and i've gotten to a point where after a 33%+ crit for me seemed a bit too much, so i started focusing on condition damage, the downside of it is DE encounters (let's say the shatterer or any other kind of veteran/champion event that implies a lot of characters getting conditions), why you may ask? It's extremely simple: Condition stacking limit, a player/npc can only reach up to 25 stacks on conditions (the only that are stackable, like bleeding and vulnerability), any condition that go past the 25 stack count will not affect the target, meaning that you'll be dealing less dps overall.

To sumarize: Condition damage granadeer -> Excells on solo - Can be extremely powerfull on dungeons (the fact of me using can is due to the condition limit, so it ends up depending on what kind of party you have, if you have a lot of condition stackers, you might lower your dps by a bit (not that much either) - Doesn't deal it's full potential on "world events" (Dinamics where a lot of people are doing it)
    Did you factor in + critical damage? It is just as important as the others. What kind of tests led you to the conclusion that condition damage grenadier is better? I am still inclined to believe that grenades by themselves don't benefit very much from condition damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    Did you factor in + critical damage? It is just as important as the others. What kind of tests led you to the conclusion that condition damage grenadier is better? I am still inclined to believe that grenades by themselves don't benefit very much from condition damage.
    Yeah I tried cond, but it seems power works better with nades.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... yeah, this prof i thought i wasn't going to like it that much, turns out i love it significantly more then both ranger and mesmer, and my love for it is growing everytime i play my little asura madman...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    So... yeah, this prof i thought i wasn't going to like it that much, turns out i love it significantly more then both ranger and mesmer, and my love for it is growing everytime i play my little asura madman...
    Double engie team?

Throw ALL of the frost grenades!
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Double engie team?

Throw ALL of the frost grenades!
    I'm more of a turret + rifle sorta guy, that or elixirs, elixirs everywhere lol
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    any videos of a lv 80 engineer killing around Orr? I`d like to see how it handles the undeads.
    no grenades please...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    no grenades please...
    But grenades are our only good abilities and we can't do anything without them /end sarcasm

When I finally get up to Orr ill give you some footage of an asura running around with my plague sprayer, I mean elixir gun...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    running around with my plague sprayer, I mean elixir gun...
    Hahaha, well said.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Engineer has turned into my main as of late, I just full up prefer it. But by god, turrets need a buff. They're immobile pets with the health of Mesmer clones, the AI of Necromancer minions, and the cooldown of Elementalist utilities, with fairly poor damage to boot.

I spent a good ten seconds hitting my head off the wall when I put down a net turret to prevent enemies getting near the portal to Langor keep in WvWvW, and it spent the rest of it's existence firing nets at the Reinforced wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Engineer has turned into my main as of late, I just full up prefer it. But by god, turrets need a buff. They're immobile pets with the health of Mesmer clones, the AI of Necromancer minions, and the cooldown of Elementalist utilities, with fairly poor damage to boot.

I spent a good ten seconds hitting my head off the wall when I put down a net turret to prevent enemies getting near the portal to Langor keep in WvWvW, and it spent the rest of it's existence firing nets at the Reinforced wall.
    The last part got me laughing a lot ! sadly... it's the harsh truth of turret based engineer, tried to work around it before (with the trait that makes me available to deploy them where my mouse was and the healing for the turrets)... it didn't felt too useful at all, even used wrench for healing my turrets (TF2 !), didn't work too well either, maybe a-net should get their eyes towards that spec so it get's a bit more lovin'.

level 60 atm, loving my dual pistol build, focussing on precision and condition damage. Use the flamethrower if lots of mobs need a good whoopin. Have my rocket turret as it makes a good distraction especially for tougher mobs. Is fun dropping the supply crate on mobs heads!

Any suggestions on what sigils to use on my pistols. I got 20-30-20-0-0 spec and right now I play about 50% pvp and 50% pve. I got about 42% crit chance so I have been told that some of the sigils like strength is good at that point since they proc often enough, but I'm not entirely sure.

Other thing I'm not sure about is how mainhand and offhand sigil procs work. I thought mainhand weapon attacks would proc only its procs, but I have received them also from offhand ones. I have also switched mainhand weapon to offhand and it still procs (not sure, if it procs less but could be).

Anyway, all this makes me wonder what should I be doing. I don't really have much money atm to test out stuff.

Okay... Bomb kit has the potential for so much fun. Mostly from the big ol' bomb toolbelt. Saved the group in an explorable a few times using it to break a charge. Also amazing if no one in your group applies burning, as the fire bomb can apply it endlessly.

For pistols... I would personally take the poison one, but I don't use them as a damage weapon.
    This explains a lot.

Problem with the sigils is that I would need two of them, one for mainhand and one for offhand. I hear there are some inner cooldowns and that you cant put stuff on mainhand and offhand and hope them to proc at the same time. I'm not sure which sigils dont work together and other stuff. Atm I'm using superior sigil of strength on my mainhand which procs might from crits. With might increasing effects, might procs, crit effects, ect. I can extend it quite far. I can often reach at least 5 stacks against single target depending how long fight lasts. On short ones or where I can't keep shooting I get less, ofc. One might = 35power + 35 condition, if I recall, so I think its worth it. I can also get more might from other sources like potions and traits.

Problem comes with offhand. As far as I know, that sigil has inner cooldown with itself so I need to get other. Atm, I'm merely using a crappy gem on it and I'd rather put something more worthwhile.

About pistols. I think they are fine, if you can just shoot something. I personally switch around stuff as I need. For example if, I need long range damage on a something that generally stays still, I switch to grenades. Pistols can attack better while you and/or enemy move. It is harder to hit like that with grenades. If I know there is lot of aoe on close range, I'll pick flamethrower. If I know I can sit still somewhere I might even take mortar, though, it has its problems. It is good for bombarding fortifications in pvp and kill enemies there.

To return to the main point what I was asking. Maybe lot of engineers are in the same situation or maybe I'm doing something weird, but I'd merely like to know what sigils others have in their weapons and what works? Could for example the one that gives quickness work with sigil of strength? Or what?

So, giving this thing another whirl, I decided to try to roll an Engineer for something different? I dunno. Any tips on what to stay away from, for the time being (while Skillpoints are scarce)?

Is it going to take until something like level 30 before I actually get the feel of this profession, because of all the kits?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I think that you'll come to love or hate the profession much earlier than 30. At low levels I think you should better to go with a rifle for the extra control. Turrets are helpful to distract mobs or when fighting more than one and a good choice when you only have the initial skills available. Later you could try using grenades and see if you like them (I remember I was using them for some time cause they helped getting stuff down quicker - generally I don't like their playstyle). Flamethrower has nice scaling during the lower levels as well if I remember correctly. The medikit 5 (especially if you combine it with the perma-swiftness trait in the tools line after level 10) or elixir B (especially with the cooldown reducing trait in the elixirs line) will help you move around fast (something I really miss on my alt-mesmer I'm levelling up currently).
    Last edited by kelevandros; 2012-11-28 at 06:21 AM.