Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Engineer seems like it's decent, at least.
    Only with pistol/pistol.

Also, since it's the BWE, the opponents often have no idea how to play, which makes it easy for a skilled played to look uber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Only with pistol/pistol.

Also, since it's the BWE, the opponents often have no idea how to play, which makes it easy for a skilled played to look uber.
    Except that that was a Tournament match versus the Devs, which they won 500-~100. And rifle has great CC, it's not meant to be an omfgdamage. I don't think the engineer as a whole is designed for that, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfft... "Devs", "tournamet", "500-100".... save those facts for people that form an opinion after watching the video

it's not meant to be an omfgdamage.
    There's a difference between not omfgdamage, and hit's like a downed ability

Anyways, a lot of it is meaningless now since they have done major Engineer changes for BWE3.

Pfft... "Devs", "tournamet", "500-100".... save those facts for people that form an opinion after watching the video

There's a difference between not omfgdamage, and hit's like a downed ability

Anyways, a lot of it is meaningless now since they have done major Engineer changes for BWE3.
    What did they do?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://gw2hub.com/features/interview...iew-jon-peters
    Lewis B: I was enjoying the engineer over the last few phases as it’s so fun to play, but have developed a list of concerns or issues, especially around kits, the tool belt, and trait line synergy. I think out of all the professions in the game it needs some tweaks at the moment. Can we expect any changes or significant improvements over the next few patches? I noticed their traits have had a tidy up…

Jon: The engineer is the first profession we have addressed since the last BWE. Changes have been made to many skills and to the trait lines as well. The previous list of traits contained many holdovers from the old trait system that did not fit into the new tier paradigm.

Lewis B: There were several moments with the engineer where the random component of Elixirs gave me what I didn’t want (and caused my death), which happened much more than I would have liked. Elixir B and S having guaranteed effects are wonderful skills. Is it too late to replicate this and remove all random elements from Elixirs? In its current form, I worry for the competitiveness of the profession…

Jon: I guess people read somewhere on the Internet that random effects cannot be in competitive games. Like everything on the Internet, that is at most a half truth. The truth is that random effects are what create moments of opportunity for players to react to. There is a threshold of randomness that is not acceptable, but if you are given outcomes that have clear, non-game breaking implications, those are the moments that expert players should be using to press advantages. Without randomness, all you have is masked complexity, which is hard for new players to understand, and creates false choices.

Lewis B: Still with the engineer, what is your overall opinion on their kits? Are you happy with them? With the exception of Bomb Kit (that many feel happy with), I found the Tool Kit, Mine Kit, Flamethrower, and Elixir Gun all feel a little lacklustre in various areas. Are you hoping to address any concerns raised?

Jon: Every single one of the kits has been updated and improved in the last few days. We will gather feedback on those improvements in the next BWE and continue to work from there. I’ll give you an example, because I am feeling generous. :-)

Mine Kit is no longer a kit. It is a single mine that works as the elements of the kit did, but now, when you detonate that mine, it knocks enemies back and removes boons. This means that you can throw it at your feet and then blast people away from you, or you can throw it past a fleeing enemy and detonate it to blast them back toward you. The tool belt has been replaced with a “drop mine field around my location” skill, which toggles to “detonate mine field.”

Oh.

So all that practice and theorycrafting was for naught. You win this round, ArenaNet....

Engineer seems like it's decent, at least.
    The guy could kill anyone in 1vs2 with any profession, he's a very skilled player.

If you watch closely, he is spec in dual pistol/condition, the only one spec viable until now.

The kits on his utility bar (flamethrower or bomb kit) only serve to fill his toolbelt. And the toolbelt is now dead (rapleced by a single mine field). In that case, this is a strong nerf.

10+ Year Old Account
    The tool belt was not replaced, he was saying that the tool belt skill for that specific skill is different.

I do, however, find it sad that this change causes Engineer to have one less kit to play with. I was hoping for a redesign of the kit, not a removal.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-07 at 10:43 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

The kits was 5 mines. I guess you could do different mines but between bombs and grenades that does not strike me as much of an original departure. Also pistol/pistol was hardly the only viable build. Personally it was much too squishy for my taste. Perhaps everyone I played against sucked but I had an alchemy build that was handling broken pistol mesmers. It was just mindless as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Axa View Post
    The kits was 5 mines. I guess you could do different mines but between bombs and grenades that does not strike me as much of an original departure. Also pistol/pistol was hardly the only viable build. Personally it was much too squishy for my taste. Perhaps everyone I played against sucked but I had an alchemy build that was handling broken pistol mesmers. It was just mindless as hell.
    If the new mine skill is any better depends on the unknowns.

-Whats the cooldown?
    -How much damage does it do?
    -How many mines are scattered by the toolbelt?
    -Whats the cooldown on the toolbelt?

If it still hits like a wetnoodle and now has something crazy like a 40sec cd, its argueably worst then the original incarnation. And what about the trait to make mines invisible? Is that trait going to be changed or merged or perhaps also baseline even tough they didnt mention it is? And what about the mines that are scattered when you drop to low health (explosives minor trait)?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The tool belt was not replaced, he was saying that the tool belt skill for that specific skill is different.
    Jon :"The tool belt has been replaced with a “drop mine field around my location” skill, which toggles to “detonate mine field.” "

I may don't understand perfectly english (i'm french), but it is written that the toolbelt has been replaced by a skill.
    If Jon meant what you said, he would have said :"the toolbelt skill (corresponding to the mine kit) has been replaced by a skill"

Quote Originally Posted by albedo View Post
    Jon :"The tool belt has been replaced with a “drop mine field around my location” skill, which toggles to “detonate mine field.” "

I may don't understand perfectly english (i'm french), but it is written that the toolbelt has been replaced by a skill.
    If Jon meant what you said, he would have said :"the toolbelt skill (corresponding to the mine kit) has been replaced by a skill"
    I think it was an error in speech.

Considering the toolbelt and kits is what makes the engineer unique among the other classes, I really doubt that they would entirely replace the toolbelt with the minefield unless they made it capable of doing some crazy things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    If the new mine skill is any better depends on the unknowns.

-Whats the cooldown?
    -How much damage does it do?
    -How many mines are scattered by the toolbelt?
    -Whats the cooldown on the toolbelt?

If it still hits like a wetnoodle and now has something crazy like a 40sec cd, its argueably worst then the original incarnation. And what about the trait to make mines invisible? Is that trait going to be changed or merged or perhaps also baseline even tough they didnt mention it is? And what about the mines that are scattered when you drop to low health (explosives minor trait)?
    So I guess a bunch of mines that when blown up knock people back and strip them of their booms needs to do a lot of damage? Hell if it did like 15 dmg and stripped all their boon away and knocked them back id be fine with a 40sec CD!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    So I guess a bunch of mines that when blown up knock people back and strip them of their booms needs to do a lot of damage? Hell if it did like 15 dmg and stripped all their boon away and knocked them back id be fine with a 40sec CD!!
    Would you be fine if it was 40sec on just the one mine? You one people can visibly see and walk around? The one they can dodge-trigger for zero damage/effect? If that only dealt 15damage i'd pick something else, i got better knockbacks available that are easier and more reliable to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Would you be fine if it was 40sec on just the one mine? You one people can visibly see and walk around? The one they can dodge-trigger for zero damage/effect? If that only dealt 15damage i'd pick something else, i got better knockbacks available that are easier and more reliable to use.
    I clearly wa talking about the minefield ability, and one mine that is a KB and boon destroyer would be worth it IMO, just don't be an idiot about when to trigger it and you'll be good
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by albedo View Post

Definitely an error in speech. One of the funny things about us Americans is that we don't always speak with proper grammar. All the better to confuse the rest of the world.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Definitely an error in speech. One of the funny things about us Americans is that we don't always speak with proper grammar. All the better to confuse the rest of the world.
    LOL!!! we NEVER speak proper grammar, let alone use real words (Funner, i'm looking at you!!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Only with pistol/pistol.

Well, can’t neglect the sad truth
    Hopefully I will be on the skilled side

10+ Year Old Account
    *sigh* I apologize for how incredibly ignorant this question sounds, but in BWE 3 can we expect engineers to be able to weapon swap? (I haven't played the class yet and am only going off bits and pieces from threads and videos) The ability to weapon swap is a major draw for me, only reason I ask.

*ducks behind an unsuspecting Charr to deflect incoming rotten vegetables*

Engineers have kits so there is no reason to expect the ability to weapon swap. Their weapon swap comes from their utility slots.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky