Thread: Super Gatherers

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Super Gatherers

Any of you out there? By that, I mean main characters who choose to have two gathering professions.

Last night I decided to make the choice to give up Alchemy for Mining, giving me Herbalism/Mining. Had a few reasons for doing so. Figured it's viable these days since we can track both herbs and minerals. I realized I didn't make as much use of my Alchemy as I had liked. I was also miffed over losing out on certain recipes that I had a long time ago, even defunct ones like the Gurubashi Mojo Madness. Sounds silly, but I like to have lists 100% complete. Most of all, I figured that with Herbalism and Mining, I could gather just about all of the mats for whatever I might need done on my own. Since I don't play alts, this was the best choice I think. Can mine my own ore to have prospected, then gather my own herbs to have those gems transmuted by an alchemist. Not to mention the money making potential.

The only real downside would be the slight lack of stat benefits from those two professions, but I don't think it's a huge loss. A few strength or whatnot isn't going to make or break my game.

Any other super gatherers out there?

Deleted
    If you're not min-maxing professions for the sake of having a competitive char, and if having 2 gathering professions is what you enjoy most... Then nobody out there can tell you it's a bad choice.

If you are trying to be competitive, there are better options, but you probably know that.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm on a high pop server, gathering always meets competition, so I leveled an arcane mage to do just that. He flies fast, can blink from spot to spot, and insta-sheep competitors.

I decided to finally get around to leveling my DK and decided to have Mining and Herbing on it, since that what i usually end up doing on my other characters, when i'm waiting on dungeons or just bored. But before it always annoyed me when i ran past a rich pyrium node with my herbalist or vice versa, now i can just go and collect, and since i just sell the mats all the time anyway, (too lazy to make flasks or prospect) it made perfect sense from an economical point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post
    The only real downside would be the slight lack of stat benefits from those two professions, but I don't think it's a huge loss. A few strength or whatnot isn't going to make or break my game.
    But what if everyone in your guild did the same thing? While not "that" much of a loss when 1 raider goes with dual gathering profs, it can add up as other raiders do the same thing.

If you need 2 gathering profs, level an alt...

I made and leveled a druid just for herbing and skinning, not only do I gather alot more like that I was able to change from herbing on other toons to professions that helped char.

My DK is a miner/skinner, mostly because I dropped skinning for enchanting on my hunter main way back at the beginning of Wrath.

I've let that toon lag a bit, though. She's good enough to queue for HoT heroics, but I haven't put any effort into gearing her yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    My shaman is herb/miner...i got tired of gathering herbs then seeing pyrite or other nodes untoched but with no way to gather them...so i started my dream of herb/miner only to realise at 525 that most areas were devoid of any resources due to bots :S

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    If you need 2 gathering profs, level an alt...
    I don't play alts. Too much of an achievement hound.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post
    I don't play alts. Too much of an achievement hound.
    Might be a good time to start one. Especially if you still have your DK available. With heirlooms and guild perks (I presume you have both) leveling from 55 (DK) to 85 is pretty easy. Especially with farming giving xp these days. I guess there is no achievement for having more than one char at max level .

And yes, I have a gathering alt (pally for speed aura) that herbs/mines.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruk View Post
    Might be a good time to start one. Especially if you still have your DK available. With heirlooms and guild perks (I presume you have both) leveling from 55 (DK) to 85 is pretty easy. Especially with farming giving xp these days. I guess there is no achievement for having more than one char at max level .

And yes, I have a gathering alt (pally for speed aura) that herbs/mines.
    I don't deny that it'd be easy. I just like consolidating everything I do onto one character.

Deleted
    I have both a paladin and a druid with max herb/mining - I used to farm a lot more than I do now, now I mostly buy on the AH, but during a dry spell I may farm a bit myself. Originally a paladin because of crusader; now with guild perk + fast herb picking and no dismounting, I use druid.

I'm also herbalism/mining since the start of cata. I dropped alchemy for mining even more expensively than you did: the only recipe I didn't have was the Molten Core rejuv recipe. But I was ticked about the dragon mount being made available for everybody after it had been the only worthwhile alchemy exclusive, and I wasn't using it much anyway.

Herbalism is arguably nearly as useful as other professions for raiding, at least for appropriate classes: it buffs haste as much as other professions buff other stats, albeit on a cd.

I can't imagine that even tanks get very excited about the stam from mining, though.

I also feel you on the single character thing. It would slay me to get an achievement on my alt that I needed on my main. If achievements do ever become account-wide (*all* achievements), then I might think about having a separate farming character. Though I would almost certainly have it be another druid for maximum efficiency.

Druid 4tw, only made him because of the fact the do not dismount by herbing

Deleted
    I dont do this anymore. Not after having played a Druid.

-instant flight form for for herbing, and instant mounting when jumping out of water-

-stealth to bypass mobs in a cave for mining-

Everything else now feels inefficient ;_;

Deleted
    I can spend hours upon hours farming mats on any given alt I have double gathering on, I love farming but with it comes a prize, people will think you're a bot at some point. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    i farm herbs make flsk and mine and proepec ore all my slef i use to skin in LK but i gave it up for alc

DK with both herb/mining... Pale Horse for speed increase and pet spec'd for aggro while gathering. I also have a herb/mining rogue for instance gathering.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    we don't even accept apply from people with 2 gathering profession

it's proved that 99% of them won't put any effort on minmaxing their class for raids

roll a DK or drood with mining/herb if you wanna farm for raids, it will take almost no time to hit level 80 then you can level while farming

Fine! I compromised and went with the one crafting profession that isn't Jewelcrafting where I can still get all of the recipes in the game; Inscription.

It's kind of sad how people who want to take two gathering professions are so ostracized, though. It's a legitimate option that Blizzard allows. What if some people would rather gather than craft? It doesn't make them bad players. A little bit of extra stats isn't going to make or break someone's game. Chances are, you wiped on that heroic boss due to bad strategy or poor execution, not because you had 80 less strength than the other guy.

Blizzard needs to buff the stat benefits of gathering professions to be on par with other professions, or remove these perks across the board. It's ridiculous. People shouldn't feel like they have to become jewelcrafters and blacksmiths.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a druid with herb/mining, sometimes I pick up a few ores or herbs when I'm bored