Poll: Favorite Fighting-Style

Thread: Fighting-Styles

10+ Year Old Account

Fighting-Styles

I'm sure everyone's watched a fighting-sport, done it in real life, favors one, or learned one. Was curious to see which one is your favorite, I apoligize if I hadn't included yours, I tried to include the most known/famous ones. I.E I forgot to list Jeen Kune Do (which is Bruce lee's fighting style) and Drunken-Wrestling/Scottish Backhold/Brazillian Carpoeria (or however the hell that's spelled) because..hey..no space.
    Last edited by GeordieMagpie; 2012-02-14 at 07:50 PM.
    Howay the lads!

I am both trained in Kickboxing as in Judo and I would have to say Kickboxing, just because it's more offensive and I like to also trow kicks in.
    But I think best is a mix of different styles, as Judo is clearly superior in a more defensive role than kickboxing, IMO.
    "It's Better To Burn Out than To Fade Away"

Deleted
    It is written Capoeira. It was a fighting style developed by Brazilian slaves to defend themselves.
    This used to be my favorite fighting style. It is a awesome cardio-vascular exercise to dance the "ginga", good for your overall strength and agility.

But right now my favorite fighting style now is Judo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Old Timey Queensberry Pugilism.

I train in Kickboxing, Muay Thai and BJJ and Kickboxing is probably my favorite. Thinking about dropping Thai for some wrestling

Drunken boxing is most spectacular, Muay Thai seems like it hits the absolute hardest, unfortunately the Judo/Wrestling are the most effective because all fights end up on the ground and you need to know how to break a man fast when it comes to that.

Deleted
    Aikido and Krav Maga are my favourites.
    I've tried Karate and Kung Fu and found them boring. The kickboxing classes I looked at were full of testosterone fuelled asshats wailing away on punchbags.

The Aikido club I joined had nice mellow people and you always trained with a partner switching between attacker/victim roles. Aikido also trains you against multiple opponents, weapons and how to fight on your knees. (you will inevitably end up on the ground in most fights and may not have time to stand up again before being attacked)

I think partly the reason why it was such a placid environment, is because Aikido is non-competitive unlike most martial arts and is very defensive orientated with virtually no kicks or punches. Its all takedowns, joint locks and throws mainly. Versus multiple opponents, you simply don't have the time (or the energy) to punch/kick your way through them unless you're a pro. Hence the main focus of Aikido is not about using force (which would tire you out quickly), but rather about technique and timing and using your opponents strength against themselves.

Its easy to hurt somebody with a strong punch or kick. It's also easy to miss too. But it's difficult to learn how to stop somebody without actually hurting them or responding with force, and that's why I like Aikido. Performed correctly, when you throw somebody with Aikido, they should naturally roll. Also, most fights end up on the floor, so joint locks are awesome for this because you can control the pain for however long you wish. A punch won't do much against a drug fuelled opponent unless you can get a lucky KO, but a joint lock will most certainly stop him. (or he'll end up with broken bones)

Krav Maga? just wow. Probably one of the best 'streetwise' Martial Arts I've seen. Fast, brutal and efficient counter attacks with an emphasis on neutralising your opponent ASAP. Again, this is another non-competitve martial art and thus it has no "rules". So some of the techniques are just plain vicious.

I do BJJ primarily as well as Judo once a week to strengthen my stand-up skills.

I'm interested in doing Krav Maga, but there's no place nearby and quite frankly... I just don't have the time/energy to do anything else.

Side note: Whilst Aikido is incredible against the uninitiated... there are quite a few glaring weaknesses if your opponent knows whats going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Never heard about Krav Maga before and theres a place in my area : D Seems intimadating tho lol I havent done martial arts since i was a kid. Maybe Ill get my boss to go too so I can kick his ass lol

My vote most definitely goes to Krav Maga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwntatoes View Post
    I told my friend I was going to McDonalds, but I actually went to Burger King. Kind of rude, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Bring her some ribbon candy and worthers original. Old Bitches love ribbon candy and worthers original.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew a guy who had studied Jeet Kun Do, as well as Tai Chi.... he was a fuckin monster :S, people don't understand just how effective Tai Chi is as a defensive style, when used by someone who REALLY knows what they're doing. Add in Jeet Kun Do for insane attacks and... yeah... pwnt.

Also.. I know you're talking unarmed styles, but Niten Ichi Ryu (the two sword branch of Kendo created by Miyamoto Musashi) is godtier awesome
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I practice Shotokan Karate (not atm though ), so im gonna go with that.

Just have to say that the competition aspect of it, in my opinion, ruins what Karate is supposed to be.

voted for "Mixed Martial-arts" -> Muay Thai // (Bras.) Jiu-jitsu // Judo me gusta

btw Krav Maga is the fighting style of the israelian army, bet you seen malcom in the middle.

edit: and Tai Chi is gymnastic and breating....
    What are you going to do? Stand behind a tank and massage their back to give them courage?