Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Sell me on Diablo 3

    So I never played any of the old Diablos because I looked at them and it just seemed like a very basic dungeon crawler game. However, I have many fanatical friends talking about this game series so I'm trying to take a closer look. I've been watching the videos and perusing the forums but it still just seems like an old NES and SNES style choose a character and fight trash mobs til a boss rinse repeat game and the camera angle seems to make the graphics look lesser than they could be. So I'm always welcome to learning more so sell me on the points of this series and this game that make its such a popular title. What am I missing? Thank you for any and all advice.

  2. #2
    I don't know, same old point-click to move, graphics that are already outdated by at least 4 years, real money auction house.. Torchlight 2 will probably be a better game, but doesn't get 1/4 of the hype.

  3. #3
    one of the selling points for me is that given enough time the game will pay for itself through the RMAH

  4. #4
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    So I never played any of the old Diablos because I looked at them and it just seemed like a very basic dungeon crawler game. However, I have many fanatical friends talking about this game series so I'm trying to take a closer look. I've been watching the videos and perusing the forums but it still just seems like an old NES and SNES style choose a character and fight trash mobs til a boss rinse repeat game and the camera angle seems to make the graphics look lesser than they could be. So I'm always welcome to learning more so sell me on the points of this series and this game that make its such a popular title. What am I missing? Thank you for any and all advice.
    I'm not a salesperson so I would suggest you tubing up some videos we are still under NDA in the beta or I would think about making a preview of that it's a hack and slash I never played the others either and I don't think I really missed much.

  5. #5
    you can beat the game on your own in its hardest difficulty if you play it long enough. and bnet has always felt more of a coop than multiplayer

  6. #6
    Well you could say the same thing about almost every game. In world of warcraft all you do is make a character, you can dungeon crawl all the way to 85, and dungeon crawl killing trash to finally fight bosses like morchak and madness and repeat that every week. However, we all know that is not what WoW is, and it definitively not what diablo is. In diablo 3, there are quests, all the environments (well most) are randomly generated (so every time you go to farm a boss you do not have to follow the same path), there are items, and there are people. The thing that sold me in diablo 2 were perfecting my gear, dueling with friends, and just good ol time wasting monster bashing fun.

  7. #7
    Pit Lord Sett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gran Pulse
    Posts
    2,343
    By the Book of Cain for D3.

    This series has some amazing lore if you like conflict between the Burning Hells and the High Heavens. Not all angels are nice and not all demons are quite as bad. When you realize how much they follow their lore in the games... It's amazing. I have been playing Diablo since the first and watched it grow and grow.

    D3 will not have the same combat as D2 but all of them have similiar aspects. Hack n slash. In D2 your characters could solo everything if you had the right gear and build. D3 from what I heard has toned down on that which is cool if you want to join your friends. ( There are different levels or 'modes'. Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno. Challenges you greatly each one with better loot chance from monsters. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Beth clearly did not understand the rules to Paper Rock Scissors Gun.
    Let's look fabulous~. A Paladin transmogrifier item list.

  8. #8
    Closed online gameplay. Meaning like Titan Quest etc... you can't just cheat in single player and give your character whatever you want. I don't know if Torchlight 2 is closed but if it is not then it does not appeal to me.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I'm not a salesperson so I would suggest you tubing up some videos we are still under NDA in the beta or I would think about making a preview of that it's a hack and slash I never played the others either and I don't think I really missed much.
    Pretty sure the NDA has been lifted for like, months.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire strombae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Skyrim
    Posts
    419
    dont bother it may not have a paid subscription but you will end up spending thousands getting hand surgery after you realise you have been doing nothing but clicking for 3 years
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

  11. #11
    Pretty sure you need to click the mouse in order to work.

  12. #12
    If you need to be "sold" on Diablo 3, the game isn't for you.

  13. #13
    What sold me to the Diablo series was the music and the general ambience.

    Just listen to this soundtrack from Diablo 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2evIg-aYw8

    I always had the feeling that I was a fallen hero fighting against my own demons (RP much hehe)

    Ambience, music, demons, armours, blood, sex

    The eternal fight between the light and the darkness.

    You don't want to miss this game.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
    If you need to be "sold" on Diablo 3, the game isn't for you.
    Pretty much this. In fact that holds true for any game. If you actually need someone else to convince you to buy a game, it's probably not a good idea to pick it up. Wait for the game to come out and check the player and critic reviews (not the scores, cause those will always be good/very good when it comes to Blizz games) to see how the finished game plays / looks like.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Pretty much this. In fact that holds true for any game. If you actually need someone else to convince you to buy a game, it's probably not a good idea to pick it up. Wait for the game to come out and check the player and critic reviews (not the scores, cause those will always be good/very good when it comes to Blizz games) to see how the finished game plays / looks like.
    Diablo is different, people liked this series not only from the gameplay but for the ambience.

    The problem when you get old (like me) is that you have problems seeing the "magic". People tend to be too rational, Diablo is not only for gear-farming, you'll need to role-play a fallen hero on the edge of madness

  16. #16
    Wait til it comes out, go over to your fanatic friend's house, and play his copy for a couple of hours.* If you don't like it, no harm done.

    *Warning: May cause unnecessary addiction. Play at your own risk.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    I don't know, same old point-click to move, graphics that are already outdated by at least 4 years, real money auction house.. Torchlight 2 will probably be a better game, but doesn't get 1/4 of the hype.
    Torchlight 2 has one big fault. When its developers heard Diablo 3 is called rainbow land, they just said "challenge accepted".

  18. #18
    Moderator Shamanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    10,996
    It is a grindfest, in fact, that's one of the main selling points - dungeon crawler grindfest with random loots. If that doesn't appeal to you... it does have an RP/story element that's got a lot of lore and a lot of thought behind it but that only really applies for the first playthrough on regular difficulty which really isn't going to take that much time, the longevity and the value of the game are in increasing difficulty, beating the game on harder modes and challenging yourself, and getting shiny loots.

    If you're an arena junkie at all you may enjoy the PvP but it's worth noting that the game is not balanced around PvP and as such it's likely that some classes or specs will dominate and they won't balance those out.

    If you have friends who are going to be playing it then you'll probably enjoy being able to run through the game in groups of up to 4 people (including yourself). The mobs are scaled to the number of people in the dungeon, so it's not like an MMO where it's harder to solo a boss than take it with more people - more people = scaling challenge.
    Moderator of Professions & Garrisons | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

    Currently playing: Warlords of Draenor | Diablo 3 | Hex TCG | Heroes of the Storm
    Steam

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunissa View Post
    you can't just cheat in single player and give your character whatever you want.
    You can with $$ in the RMAH
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Milamber View Post
    You can with $$ in the RMAH
    Still cant, unless someone actualy loots it and decides to put it on RMAH.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •