Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I won't.

You're free to look it up for yourself and see if you like it, if you absolutely NEED SOME SPECIAL REASON TO PLAY IT, then you might as well not play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Milamber View Post
    You can with $$ in the RMAH
    Obviously you missed the part where single player used trainers etc to get ultimate BIS gear instantly. bobafett was the name of one going back to original diablo. Personally i really like the RMAH coming to D3. And it has nothing with cheating to do,

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Personally i really like the RMAH coming to D3. And it has nothing with cheating to do,
    Of course it's like cheating, cheating for cash.
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    So I never played any of the old Diablos
    If you had played Diablo, D2 and D2X, I don't think anyone would need to sell you on D3, and since you didn't play them, I don't think anyone can.

One thing you should realize is that the only point behind hack'n'slash such as Diablo is gear. Farm gear. Do gazillions of runs for gear. Gear gear gear. Farm more gear!

If that's not your cup of tea, then you're not going to like D3.

Deleted
    For me its one thing only. Hardcore.

The thrill of playing a character where you have to be extra careful and pay extra attention to absolutely everything is as intense at gets when it comes to gaming.
    If you die, you're out. You can't even access your character to take your items and put them on another char. You need to think about every talent you spend, because it might either save your life or get you killed.

You've never nerdraged until you've lost a max level, super pimped out character to an incredibly stupid decision.

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If you had played Diablo, D2 and D2X, I don't think anyone would need to sell you on D3, and since you didn't play them, I don't think anyone can.

One thing you should realize is that the only point behind hack'n'slash such as Diablo is gear. Farm gear. Do gazillions of runs for gear. Gear gear gear. Farm more gear!

If that's not your cup of tea, then you're not going to like D3.
    Well, if that's your perspective, it's the same with any game. Farm gear. Improve. Farm more gear.
    There was a lot more to diablo than that if you actually liked the game, just as there is more to wow, swtor, rift or whatever gear-based game is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    For me its one thing only. Hardcore.

The thrill of playing a character where you have to be extra careful and pay extra attention to absolutely everything is as intense at gets when it comes to gaming.
    If you die, you're out. You can't even access your character to take your items and put them on another char. You need to think about every talent you spend, because it might either save your life or get you killed.

You've never nerdraged until you've lost a max level, super pimped out character to an incredibly stupid decision.[COLOR="red"]
    LOL good luck with that one

I don't have enough free time to level a char just to lose it to one death. I'll be playing softcore and loving every min of it and then Arenas at lvl 60 cause PVP is my shizz.

Don't get me wrong I have respect for anyone that can get to lvl 60 in hardcore and do arenas and never die once. Thats badass. Albeit too risky of an investment for one such as myself.

I have never played any diablo game before either. After I saw a few barbarian videos and started looking into the class more, I got attached instantly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Well, if that's your perspective, it's the same with any game. Farm gear. Improve. Farm more gear.
    There was a lot more to diablo than that if you actually liked the game, just as there is more to wow, swtor, rift or whatever gear-based game is out there.
    WoW, SW:TOR and Rift are all MMO's, a large part of which is to belong to a guild and run raids of several people, raids which often take hours to finish, and the point of which at least at the beginning is to best the encounter. "Any game", also includes a plethora of games which have absolutely nothing to do with improving one's gear.

D2/X was easily ran through solo, even on hardcore (eventually). Nothing in it (besides perhaps the weird "uber"- crap) was even designed to require anyone other than yourself. In fact the whole content was completed on normal level in a couple days, and I for example got a couple random guys from the chat to run me through normal before I even started playing, so I could start a HC character straight away.

Once you hit 99 (which might have taken a while during the earlier patches), you farmed some particular target, be it Mephisto, Baal, Pindleskin, the Pit, or whatever. Sure, if you stuck playing HC's, there was the extra excitement of having that particular teleport in the Arcane Sanctuary lag and throw you in the middle of a pack of goatmen, but basically it was all about getting to 99 (or at least as close to as possible) and then farming for Windforce or Zod runes. Even the PvP in D2 was an afterthought.

MMO's offer infinitely more content and things to do. While you can get your character to max level and farm the best gear possible out there in 10 minute pieces in Diablo (I did pindle/meph runs in like a few minutes a pop?), in MMO's you often have to spend a good bit of time getting people to log on, then spend a couple/few hours raiding, AND you pretty much always have to belong to a guild to do that.

Yeah, two different worlds, and yes, I maintain that Diablo is all about gear. Don't get me wrong, it has an awesome story, incredible cinematics, an unparalleled feel to it, but at the end of the day, it really is all about gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    I don't know, same old point-click to move, graphics that are already outdated by at least 4 years, real money auction house.. Torchlight 2 will probably be a better game, but doesn't get 1/4 of the hype.
    Thats pretty much the way I see it as well.

The fact the game is little more than a slot machine in which blizzard controls all the variables that will always be in there favor is enough to pass this game over and thats coming from a player that loved all the previous diablo games.

Might as well put a slot machine arm on the side of the diablo box, pay to play the game and hope for the best but just know blizzard controls all the odds, gets 3 cuts from your money on one item and plans to market a game that is nothing but a loophole to online gambling to people that are quite possibly underage or have no clue they will be enticed to buy from the RMAH. (notice I said enticed not forced)

It's nothing I'll have anything do with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunissa View Post
    Closed online gameplay. Meaning like Titan Quest etc... you can't just cheat in single player and give your character whatever you want. I don't know if Torchlight 2 is closed but if it is not then it does not appeal to me.
    Every diablo game has been consistently hacked in multiple ways. I see this one being no different and with real money at stake. The hackers will work all that much harder.
    Last edited by quras; 2012-02-17 at 07:58 PM.

"Spam click and have fun with smashing everything in your path" describes Diablo the best for me. It's the game of pure fun with no unecessary complexity. It sounds really easy to make a game like this but I have never played any ARPG that is as fun as D1/D2. Torchlight is one of the worst game I have ever played.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2012-02-17 at 08:12 PM.

However, After my last post, I just read this about the gambling part and changes made to the RMAH:

http://daeity.blogspot.com/2012/02/g...h-changed.html

Very interesting.

Turn your brain off, and pwn everything. Pick up loot. Rinse and repeat. Very addictive.

I actually can't. I am in the beta and I just do not think that Diablo 3 is a very good game. It is a very MMO influenced action game, not a true Action RPG successor to Diablo 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoid View Post
    Turn your brain off, and pwn everything. Pick up loot. Rinse and repeat. Very addictive.
    Yep. If this concept sounds frightening then don't bother. I love click and loot games, so it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    Yep. If this concept sounds frightening then don't bother. I love click and loot games, so it works for me.
    there is something to be said about doing something repetitive for fun, mind you if you don't like looking at a clock and realize 9 hours have gone by and have nothing substantial to show for it, you might not want to pick up this game.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I actually can't. I am in the beta and I just do not think that Diablo 3 is a very good game. It is a very MMO influenced action game, not a true Action RPG successor to Diablo 2.
    Not true. I'm also in the beta. It's addictive. If you like Diablo.

Otherwise, what this guy said:

You're free to look it up for yourself and see if you like it, if you absolutely NEED SOME SPECIAL REASON TO PLAY IT, then you might as well not play it.

Deleted
    The points that the guys have all mentioned are good ways for you to try and figure out if you might be interested in the game. However, I would be inclined to say that Diablo isn't aimed at as broad an audience as WoW. I'm afraid we will have some new friends from the recent WoW influx that will be trying out Diablo III without prior experience of the franchise just in order to get disappointed. Hopefully these men and women acquired the game through their WoW annual pass that they would be paying for regardless so the end result won't be a loss but an experience the richer.

What I'm looking forward to is multiplayer Hell/Inferno gameplay. With the guarantee that "you will die," I'm not really excited about the hack and slash gameplay most people here are looking forward to, but I'm very interested in having to really strategize and work with teammates to get stuff done. Especially if I can convince a few friends to play the harder difficulties with me ^_^
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    So I never played any of the old Diablos because I looked at them and it just seemed like a very basic dungeon crawler game. However, I have many fanatical friends talking about this game series so I'm trying to take a closer look. I've been watching the videos and perusing the forums but it still just seems like an old NES and SNES style choose a character and fight trash mobs til a boss rinse repeat game and the camera angle seems to make the graphics look lesser than they could be. So I'm always welcome to learning more so sell me on the points of this series and this game that make its such a popular title. What am I missing? Thank you for any and all advice.

Yep, sounds about right. Whether or not it is your cup or tea or not is up to you. See if any of your friends have a beta that they can show you. That way you'll know if you want it or not.