Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] IMDB vs Rotten Tomatoes

Which website do you use ? Personally I've found RT to be more accurate since imdb is flooded with user reviews and fanboys that flood the site with extreme reviews.

There's bias on both sites. I take a look at both and read some reviews that seem to be as objective as they can be. I never rely on reviews though, because in the end it does come down to opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMDB for information (actors names etc), for ratings... frak em I'll make up my own opinion
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

IMDB. rotten tomatoes is an adfest and ugly to look at. and if i was looking for reviews, people who get paid to write their reviews are the last people i would go to. i would be listening to the general public who are not getting paid to say their review.

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    IMDB. rotten tomatoes is an adfest and ugly to look at. and if i was looking for reviews, people who get paid to write their reviews are the last people i would go to. i would be listening to the general public who are not getting paid to say their review.
    I feel the exact opposite. First off, AdBlockPlus ftw. Secondly, I trust someone's who's job it is to review something over the general public, who has major bias (latest evidence? CoD Black Ops getting the 'greatest video game ending of all time' in a poll in Guiness Book of World Records)...

In case you can't tell, Rotten.

Neither. I only trust the reviews of critics I have gotten to know and understand their tastes in movies.

Imdb for a look at the movie... but I rarely base my decision on the ratings (unless it's like... a 2).

Read the synopsis... look at the trailer... read a few comments... make up my mind. There's really no other to see if you will enjoy a movie every time unless, as unholytestament said, you can find a critic who shares the same taste as you. Because most critics are full of shit, as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Rotten Tomatoes reviews are bribed as hell, atleast in the IMDB boards they say what they REALLY think

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes reviews are bribed as hell, atleast in the IMDB boards they say what they REALLY think
    What are you basing that on?

..and why would anyone care what someone else thinks? Watch the movie and decide for yourself.

IMDB is a decent site for information, but some of it I've found to be incomplete or incorrect. Much like any source of information on the internet.

Unlike the game review industry, movie critics aren't really bribed or bought out. Most reviewers do indeed speak their mind; though it's common to see a slight bias against sci-fi/horror/fantasy/action/adventure type movies and a strong bias for any kind of social drama or commentary or artsy/pretentious film.

Generally for recent movies I watch the trailer, and if it's a genre I like (almost anything other than sports/romance/slasher/teen horror) and it doesn't get abysmal reviews I'll go watch it.

But with old movies It's sometimes impossible to find trailers, so I just pick a genre I like and then search RT or imdb for highly rated stuff. Generally RT is quite reliable, imdb is a lot more mainstream and the results are a bit skewed because of fanboyism.

It really boils down to your own tastes obviously. I haven't been disappointed much by highly rated RT films though with a few notable exceptions which are the minority though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    What are you basing that on?

..and why would anyone care what someone else thinks? Watch the movie and decide for yourself.

IMDB is a decent site for information, but some of it I've found to be incomplete or incorrect. Much like any source of information on the internet.
    Well you have that with any free rating thing. That the majority of people rate it good and some bad giving it an 8/10 in total doesn't mean you're one of the people who will like the movie. It just increases the chance you would like it more then a movie with a rating of 5.5

Quite logical I presume.

Deleted
    I tend to use wikipedia for movie information.

wikipedia/imdb for info.

i find reviews sorta useless tbh, hardly ever i can go thru one without several facepalms.

IMDB for life

I usually don't place much value in reviews, but IMDB's ratings can't be any less indicative of the general populace's opinions than Rotten Tomatoes. On one hand you have fanboys giving exaggerated ratings and on the other you have pretentious "critics" that think they know better than everyone else (also, I don't think a short sentence is ever enough to truly express your opinion of a movie).
    Last edited by anathama; 2012-02-19 at 10:05 AM.

IMDb rocks. The recommended list for similar shows is pretty damn accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    metacritic? anyone? no? ... ill find the way out myself.

Deleted
    If i look at either at all, it's IMDB, even though i don't read much into reviews, what someone else likes will be different to what i like, and i find there's far too many wannabe film critics on both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Can't stand Rotten Tomatoes, so IMDB by default for me >.>. Though I really don't actively use either sites that much, or even any review sites in general.

Neither generally. Skelington doesn't usually care how something is rated, since he likes to decide that for himself.
    If for some reason he is interested in how a movie averaged, then he just skims the 'reception' part of the wikipedia page. But that doesn't usually change his mind if he wants to watch them movie or not.

IMDB.
    P.S Guy above me is retarded or something