Thread: Won't power up

15+ Year Old Account

Won't power up

Woke up today and my computer wouldnt turn itself on. The green light on the back of the box is green. When I hit boot button that light goes dark. I'm thinking maybe my powersupply died? Or can it be the mobo?

Anyone has an idea of what can be wrong?

Another question; does a cable that I can plug into my internal harddrive and then into USB on my laptop exist? I want to boot my internal harddrive from the stationary computer on my laptop without booting it on the laptops mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    Woke up today and my computer wouldnt turn itself on. The green light on the back of the box is green. When I hit boot button that light goes dark. I'm thinking maybe my powersupply died? Or can it be the mobo?

Anyone has an idea of what can be wrong?

Hard to say without knowing more details, power supply maker, computer maker etc. But generally speaking the light on the back can often be green until u try and boot the computer, then when it draws the power if the power supply is bad it can show the failure signs. Does the power light on front of ur computer stay on? Does your monitor display anything? If NO then it is likely your power supply is shot, but motherboards are tricky and could be the issue.

Another question; does a cable that I can plug into my internal harddrive and then into USB on my laptop exist? I want to boot my internal harddrive from the stationary computer on my laptop without booting it on the laptops mobo.
    To your second question yes there are cables like that. Not sure the policy on links so just google "IDE/SATA to USB" and u will find many results of the type of cable ur are talking about ranging in price from 9-30$ However I'm not exactly sure of your wording of the last part of this question..... you can boot from a hard drive connected through a USB port.. however it will boot through the motherboard of the computer you are booting on. So if you hook your desktops hard drive to your laptop its going to boot through your laptops motherboard, there is no way around this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddling77 View Post
    To your second question yes there are cables like that. Not sure the policy on links so just google "IDE/SATA to USB" and u will find many results of the type of cable ur are talking about ranging in price from 9-30$ However I'm not exactly sure of your wording of the last part of this question..... you can boot from a hard drive connected through a USB port.. however it will boot through the motherboard of the computer you are booting on. So if you hook your desktops hard drive to your laptop its going to boot through your laptops motherboard, there is no way around this.
    Thank you. What I ment is that I want to boot it through USB, and not directly on the motherboard.

---------- Post added 2012-02-15 at 07:57 AM ----------

I have been the victim of the thunder gods getting drunk and firing bolts down to earth. Pray for my hard drive to be okey.

You mean, you want to hook up the desktop (that won't boot up) HDD with the cable onto your laptop, then boot the laptop off the HDD? You probably can (as long as the BIOS recognizes the HDD as a bootable device), but it will really be messy because none of the drivers for the laptop are installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    Thank you. What I ment is that I want to boot it through USB, and not directly on the motherboard.

---------- Post added 2012-02-15 at 07:57 AM ----------

I have been the victim of the thunder gods getting drunk and firing bolts down to earth. Pray for my hard drive to be okey.
    I still don't get exactly what you mean. Whatever computer you are booting on will use THAT motherboard. The harddrive is just a storage device it will do nothing on its own. If you hook up the hard drive of your desktop computer to your laptop it will boot THROUGH ur laptops motherboard.. If you hook up a hard drive from your laptop to your desktop it will boot through the desktops motherboard. And as the other poster said the drivers could be an issue trying to do something like this. You need to explain more what you are trying to do.. you can clone your desktops HD to your laptops HD and boot fine. But that requires software and a little bit of know how. The more details the better.