Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking Back at FFX-2

Dusted this game and X off to play again and happened to notice that X-2 is an amazing game, in spite of the music. I mean, it plays like a typical good Final Fantasy, yet when I go on the internet it seems FFX-2 is the single most despised and infamous FF game.

I don't know what really gives, is it because people dislike the main lead characters? I do admit Pain kind of came from nowhere, and sort of dislike her but the gameplay is solid so...

Sup with the hate?

I kinda disliked it because of a silly plot at the start. Maybe it would get better afterwards? Well, maybe one day I'll dust it off and finally finish playing through. The gameplay is very solid though. I actually think Dress Sphere is a progenitor of Paradigm Shift we see today.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

The game is noting but fan service.

That's really it.

Deleted
    To me it really felt like i was playing a game designed for 12 year old girls, the whole charlies angels singing and dancing stuff wasn't doing it for me. Having said that though the white mage from ff10-2 is my favourite of all time, i absolutely loved the idea of their default attack being a weak free aoe heal, i'd kill for that in the other final fantasy games.

Deleted
    I loved it. Yeah it was a bit cheesy, but the gameplay was awesome.
    I actually really liked the dress spheres and garment grid system - swapping classes at the press of a button allowed to you work out strategys for the boss fights.
    Loves going through and finding all the video spheres and the crimson spheres and unlocking the story fully. Great game. But haters gonna hate.

Ive said this on my FF topics and the more i read the more i am confident that this comment is right
    People do not like the final fantasy series they like certain final fantasy games. Get 2 people who play final fantasy, one will tell you that one game is the greatest and another is terrible and the other will have the opposite view, its a topic people just cant agree on.

But on topic, i think it is some of the best game design ever, the way the game plays out is how all rpgs should play out, actual desicion that change the game. I dont think people really understood how different that is, you rarely see it to be honest. The game its self was ok, didnt like the end

Deleted
    X-2 vastly surpasses X in every department other than plot as far as I'm concerned. Honestly though, were you really on the edge of your seat over X's plot? At least with X-2 you can pretend it's trying to be satirical.

But most importantly, this.

Never forget.

Honestly, I love 10-2. Sure, in a lot of ways it's stupid, I don't deny that. Eventually the plot picks up a bit though. I guess I'm just a patient person, I can forgive a lot of its shortcomings concerning story. The game's ending also helped to win me over. I admit it, I get attached to main characters. Killing off the main character in any way is not good in my eyes. Some may argue that it ruined the beautiful ending of FF10, but I dun care, BECAUSE MAIN CHARACTERS SHOULD LIVE DAMMIT!

The gameplay though, it's good, really good, really really fucking good. The endgame is especially awesome. There are very few dungeons in any RPG series as hardcore as the Via infinito, and beating Trema without a guide was some of the most fun I'd had with Final Fantasy in a long time. Beneath the shallow surface of the game is a nice hardcore experience, and in the end that is what did it for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally feel x-2 was the last good final fantasy game, the game play alone was enough to make up for its shortcomings,i personally hate math but sphere break was a damn good mini game.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    X-2 vastly surpasses X in every department other than plot as far as I'm concerned. Honestly though, were you really on the edge of your seat over X's plot? At least with X-2 you can pretend it's trying to be satirical.

But most importantly, this.

Never forget.
    Not kidding, that was prob my first time hearing that and it made me laugh off my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Not kidding, that was prob my first time hearing that and it made me laugh off my seat.
    Keep in mind if that's your first time hearing that, the scene is out of context. The whole forced laughter scene is meant to be sad. Tidus just found out that his dad is the end of the world mass murdering genocidal monster that the whole world would really like to see dead. And Yuna knows that her life is literally forfeit, and she's living on borrowed time at best. It'd be like forcing laughter at someone's funeral, only worse.

Have to admit, it *was* a pretty fun game. Much better class system than the horrible, terrible original FF-10 Grid Sphere (man what a pain in the ASS!).

What else could you have really expected, story wise though? For what it is/was, it was a pretty good game. Nothing to write home about, but everyone's gotta have *something* to hate. And I hated FF10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Keep in mind if that's your first time hearing that, the scene is out of context. The whole forced laughter scene is meant to be sad. Tidus just found out that his dad is the end of the world mass murdering genocidal monster that the whole world would really like to see dead. And Yuna knows that her life is literally forfeit, and she's living on borrowed time at best. It'd be like forcing laughter at someone's funeral, only worse.
    But see, that's what made FFX so great. Story. And it progressed well. X-2's whole, "go here to finish the chapter, but feel free to roam around places you may or may not be high enough level for" was just stupid. As Digglett said, fan service, that's all it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    But see, that's what made FFX so great. Story. And it progressed well. X-2's whole, "go here to finish the chapter, but feel free to roam around places you may or may not be high enough level for" was just stupid. As Digglett said, fan service, that's all it was.
    As I said, I enjoyed 10-2 for its endgame gameplay, as well as the end of the story. I will say though that one of the game's failings is the need for a guide. You will not beat it 100% without a guide, you just won't. Though I don't recall ever seeing places that were too high of a level for me, except for a few obvious things like when Angra Mainyu and the Via Infinito first become available.

I have never played it. I can't dislike it but I have no desire to play it. Why is Yuna dualwielding guns? O.o

I played pretty far into it, then got sucked into the Bevelle Ruins and could never beat the Paragon. I got frustrated and never finished. The gameplay was pretty solid, and I did like some of the soundtrack, but I didn't really dig the free-form sphere hunting. The girly atmosphere wasn't the worst, but I did my best trying to ignore it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy Barbie Dress Up is probably my favorite in the series. Loved the dressphere system, loved the game play and trigger commands and I loved the story after chapter 1. It really was worth it to try and 100% the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

The gameplay was great and a pretty big improvement over X.

The X-2 plot was laughably bad, and also diminished the X plot. To me, plot is the most important thing to final fantasy, which is why X-2 was the worst of the series to me. 13 is pretty bad too though....boring gameplay and a dull story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy X-2 is both the best and worst of the series.
    The best because: It has the best gameplay of any of them.
    The worst because: It has the worst story of any of them.

Good thing story and plot are of little importance to me. But at least this one got away from all the emo that JPRGs were throwing around back then. I think part of the problem is that so many people went into this game with such a serious mindset that anything campy and fun just threw them off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    As a stand alone game, FFX-2 was a phenomenal game.

As a sequel to FFX, and an installment of the FF series. It's your worst nightmare. Personally, I myself loved everything about the game except for the general plot and lore.