Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    He lives in Denmark, and so he needs to use whichever way he is being taught.

If I talk about Russia, I don't start using Russian grammar rules
    Well, you would if your paper was in Russian...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Wait, what?

America puts a comma before an 'And'?

It's a no-no in Britain, and I'm guessing since he's from Denmark he isn't doing American English. So no comma.
    All depends on which ever language his teacher is teaching him. I've had 2 teachers, 1 teaching UK-english, the other US-english. If he does not know which one he is taught, just go with one or the other.

Wait, what?

It's a no-no in Britain, and I'm guessing since he's from Denmark he isn't doing American English. So no comma.
    Don't tread on our Oxford Comma!!!

Follow the Oxford comma. It's correct to use in Denmark.
    Also, do your homework and learn something. Having people doing it for you is NOT educating.

Wait, what?

Yes over here in America it's used. The comma before and or or is considered an Oxford comma, Serial comma, or Harvard comma. It's really weird, there's many different opinions on if it should be used or not. But, for the most part in schools kids are taught to use the oxford comma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    The genre got it's first breakthrough in the 1960's though, when pop music was a neat, superficial, soothing music style that spoke to the average person in contrast to the 1960's wild rock and the 1970's provocative pop.
    You shouldn't have the apostrophe in "it's"

You only use an apostrophe there when you're abbreviating "it is," not when you're writing the possessive of 'it.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanubis View Post
    You shouldn't have the apostrophe in "it's"

You only use an apostrophe there when you're abbreviating "it is," not when you're writing the possessive of 'it.'
    This is true. My mistake.

The music genre of Pop is one of the most wide-spread genres. The name originates from the words "popular", or folksy. It is characteristic of pop for the rhythms to be flowing or changeable.
    The first them the term "pop" was used in the U.S.A. was in the 1920's and included the genres of country, hillbilly, and blues.

The genre got it's first breakthrough in the 1960's though, when pop music was a neat, superficial, soothing music style that spoke to the average person in contrast to the 1960's wild rock and the 1970's provocative pop.
    Not to play 'Pick on Kalyyn' but if you're ging to copy paste this over, OP, remember to replace 'Them' with 'time' in the bit I bolded. Easy mistake though, I do a lot worse on a regular basis lol. Other than that one teensy thing, this is pretty much exactly what your teacher will be looking for.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2012-02-15 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Not to play 'Pick on Kalyyn' but if you're ging to copy paste this over, OP, remember to replace 'Them' with 'time' in the bit I bolded. Easy mistake though, I do a lot worse on a regular basis lol. Other than that one teensy thing, this is pretty much exactly what your teacher will be looking for.
    Oh god! I actually did that...

I dishonor famiry

Here is the correct version (I also changed the order a little bit):

Quote Originally Posted by Ganoosh View Post
    The music genre "pop" is one of the most spread genres, originating from the words "popular" or "folksy".
    The first time the term pop was used in the USA was in the 1920s and included the genres country, hillbilly, and blues.
    It is a characteristic of pop that the rhythms are flowing and changeable.

The genre got its first breakthrough in the 1960s though, where the pop music was the neat, superficial, soothing music style that spoke to the average person, in contrast to the 1960s wild rock and the 1970s provocative pop.
    Last edited by Marksman79; 2012-02-15 at 06:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The music genre of Pop is one of the most wide-spread genres. The name originates from the words "popular", or folksy. It is characteristic of pop for the rhythms to be flowing or changeable.
    The first time the term "pop" was used in the U.S.A. was in the 1920's and included the genres of country, hillbilly, and blues.

The genre got its first breakthrough in the 1960's though, when pop music was a neat, superficial, soothing music style that spoke to the average person in contrast to the 1960's wild rock and the 1970's provocative pop.
    Changed the word "them" to "time" and changed "it's" to "its." "It's" is only used for "It is," and never for a possessive.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

What I learned from this thread: people that don't understand the difference between its and it's should not 'help' others with grammar.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Another thing a lot of people are missing is that punctuation goes INSIDE of quotation marks. There is only one exception, which I'll show below.

Punctuation Inside Quotes:
    The sign changed from "Walk," to "Don't Walk," to "Walk" again within 30 seconds.
    She said, "Hurry up."
    She said, "He said, 'Hurry up.'" [single quotation mark for a quote inside of another quote, period goes inside all quotation marks]
    She asked, "Will you still be my friend?"
    Did she say, "May I go?"
    Pop music is "popular," or "folksy."

The one exception:
    Do you agree with the saying, "All's fair in love and war"?
    Did John say "I will go to the store with you"?
    [the quotation is not a question, but the overall sentence is a question, so the question mark goes outside. Note that there is no period inside the quote, there's just one ending punctuation mark, it's not ."?]

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp
    Last edited by Porcell; 2012-02-15 at 05:35 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganoosh View Post
    The first time the term pop was used in the USA was in the 1920’s and included the genres country, hillbilly, and blues.
    Oh that Oxford/Harvard/serial comma. It works so well.

All hail the Oxford/Harvard/serial comma.

---------- Post added 2012-02-15 at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lecan View Post
    What I learned from this thread: people that don't understand the difference between its and it's should not 'help' others with grammar.
    Lecan, I was thinking that this is one of the worst possible places to get grammar advice. You beat me to it. Haha.

This is a great lesson, he is probably learning more from this thread than a month at school.

See this link for punctuation rules:
    http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

Rule #11:
    • the 1960s not the 1960's