Thread: Tanking in TOR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    There is only one final thing - the Murder Droids that spawn from the Hunter-Creeper Droids in Karagga's Palace, they seem to do a TONNE more damage to my Shadow than my Vanguard. I still don't understand why, but on my Vanguard I can tank 3 of them pretty easily, it's only when I get 4 that things start getting hairy, and even then I can aoe stun them and kite them easily enough. My Shadow though, wow. I have to pop everything just to survive against two of these guys.

Other than that strange anomaly though, I haven't really noticed any difference in tanking on either - in most fights I can hold threat just fine on either, I survive just fine, and while I'm sure there are differences, they aren't enough to make one not viable in comparison to the other.
    Are you sure that's not gear-/healer-related or so?
    On my TankSin i've tanked an Arsenal Droid and 2 murder droids at the same time without too many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Genev View Post
    Are you sure that's not gear-/healer-related or so?
    On my TankSin i've tanked an Arsenal Droid and 2 murder droids at the same time without too many problems.
    We use the same setup aside from me that has switched. As I say, my Vanguard and my Shadow have pretty similar gear - I'll admit my Shadow is less geared, but for some reason I take FAR more damage from those.

On my Vanguard I usually aggro everything in those packs, and any murder droids that come, and only after the 3rd murder droid do I pop CDs. On my Shadow I have to pop CD's much earlier to survive. As I say though, it is literally just these, on anything else there isn't really any difference that couldn't be attributed to the slightly less gear or RNG, but it's not that much less to make such a huge difference, it's just a minor difference.

I'm generally tanking everything on my Shadow though these days as I'm gearing it up for DPS for when we finally get a tank.

Speaking of which, if any Vanguard or Guardian on Niman is looking for a guild to raid with mon-thurs, give us a shout, we'd be open to rerolls too :P

hey guys rather than start a new thread ill post here

I have a vanguard currently 26 and I ma taking him tank all the way but need some advice endgame wise. I know we have defense/shield/absorb to keep an eye out on but ?WHICH should i put as priority #1 stat of the three.

my thoughts was on shield chance since more shielding more absorbing less damage but how does defense play into the stats.

any advice/info or even a few good tank guide sites is most welcome this is gonna be my first REAL tank role so i wanna get it right

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    There is only one final thing - the Murder Droids that spawn from the Hunter-Creeper Droids in Karagga's Palace, they seem to do a TONNE more damage to my Shadow than my Vanguard. I still don't understand why, but on my Vanguard I can tank 3 of them pretty easily, it's only when I get 4 that things start getting hairy, and even then I can aoe stun them and kite them easily enough. My Shadow though, wow. I have to pop everything just to survive against two of these guys.

Other than that strange anomaly though, I haven't really noticed any difference in tanking on either - in most fights I can hold threat just fine on either, I survive just fine, and while I'm sure there are differences, they aren't enough to make one not viable in comparison to the other.
    I don't have a problem with them on my Assassin, thing is we don't let there be more than 2-3 though. CC everything else and focus that Hunter Creeper Droid fast and you have only 1-2 Murder Droids if done right. Only problem with this is you need 3 stealth CC's in order to pull it off on the last pull before fabricator. You MUST stealth CC all three and not break them. If you break one it breaks the others then you got heals going out and takes too long to kill the Droid. Luckily, I am Assassin so I have a stealth-CC, we have a DPS Assassin do the other and our Operative Healer get the last.

---------- Post added 2012-04-04 at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    hey guys rather than start a new thread ill post here

I have a vanguard currently 26 and I ma taking him tank all the way but need some advice endgame wise. I know we have defense/shield/absorb to keep an eye out on but ?WHICH should i put as priority #1 stat of the three.

my thoughts was on shield chance since more shielding more absorbing less damage but how does defense play into the stats.

any advice/info or even a few good tank guide sites is most welcome this is gonna be my first REAL tank role so i wanna get it right
    Have you looked over at sithwarrior.com?

Edit: Hmm, went to check it out and they have changed their name and format, but the content is all still there. Here is a link directl to a vanguard tanking compendium:
    http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forum...pec-Compendium
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-04-04 at 09:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking in TOR seems actually pretty balanced from my perspective. Threat is RARELY an issue, especially after the first 15sec of a fight. Whenever you taunt, it puts you above the highest person with threat... double taunting with multiple tanks is awesomely fun for threat gen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I do pretty good damage as a Tankassin. I do see what you're saying though and Warrior/Guardian tanks are a bit weak right now.
    However the Warrior tanks have an edge as far as defence goes.

I played a Powertech tank up to 50 and did a bit of raiding, whilst it was fun I personally found a combination of not being able to make everything stick to you and long global cooldowns offputting.

I would probably revisit tanking if threatmeters and/or name/threatplates become available. It certainly isn't the be all and end all but I really missed the UI enhancements after getting so used to them. Also worth noting in WoW bosses like Vael were done on tank weapon speed till threat meters came into play :P

You will find tanking in swtor alot similar to wow. The new 1.2 patch will assist with the new threat notifications also.!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    Only if you play a Vanguard/Powertech.
    nope, assasin tanks are arguably even more annoying our maintank kills pretty much anyone 1v1, 1v2's and 1v3's versus nubs in a mix of rakata/pvp gear.

"Ranged" Tanking (Powertech/Vanguard) is more powerful with lower level gear, but decked out they're better than Assassin/Guardians. Assassin Tanks get really good in full T3 before then you get rolled left and right unless your healer is decked, Guardians/Juggs lacked with or without gear.
    Last edited by Alka; 2012-04-05 at 12:31 PM.

Current Games: HearthStone, Eve Online, and World of Tanks
    Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV - "Hyperion" Server
    Current Game: Tera - "Valley of Titans" Server
    Current Game: WoW: MoP & Planetside 2 - BETA
    Current Game: SWTOR - "The Fatman" Server