View Poll Results: Opinion On Blizzard Store Mounts/Pets

Voters
628. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Problem At All

119 18.95%
  • No Problem With The Sale, But Would Like To See The Profits Used For Content

178 28.34%
  • Don't Care, People Can Spend Their Money As They Wish

205 32.64%
  • These Mounts/Pets Should Be Free For All Subscribers

126 20.06%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bones83 View Post
    If people have an issue with paying for the mount, what is their opinion of buying DLC like map packs, skins, and other such stuff from places like Xbox Live, the Playstation Network, Steam, etc? Just asking because places like those have been doing it for years and some before Blizzard ever did.
    Map packs are not the same as paying for a mount. Map packs are like getting new raids in a sense. You do have a point though, take Gears 3 with the gun skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    okay, since werebison wants logic, lets give him some.

Blizzard have already stated that they have "limited resources to develop new content". i could link to the quote, but frankly cant be bothered. its out there, google it. this isnt opinion, its a statement of fact.

they are now producing content that they are selling for money in their store. again, a statement of fact.

that store content is presumably being created using part of their "limited resources". not a fact, a supposition. you can argue against this if you wish.

as a result of store content being created, there are less resources left to create content for those people that dont want to pay money to Blizzard on top of box fees and subscriptions.

so you people that are "spending you own money they way you want" are having a direct impact on the amount of content available for the rest of the players. do you begin to see why this might upset people like me?
    Ah, okay, now I see where you're coming from, thank you for clarifying.

I hadn't seen that statement before. It does make me curious as to how many people are involved in actually creating the things that go into the Blizzard store.

To be honest, it's not like Blizzard is hurting for cash. I'd be rather surprised if they weren't looking for more programmers and designers, if that's the issue. Limited resources is a very vague term, I doubt it means money, but perhaps they really are spreading themselves too thin. This probably started happening when they got working on their Titan project. I'm sure that plenty of time and money goes into D3 and the SC2 expansion, as well, but things seemed to be all right until they got Titan really in the works. Hopefully, whatever it is, it'll be stellar, if they really are pumping the lion's share of resources into it.

As to folks like us buying mounts and it hurting other areas of the game...dunno what to say about that. If it's true, then it hurts us as well. But I don't really see a solution. I doubt there's going to be a boycott on something like this.

Anyway, again, thank you for actually posting your thoughts without calling folks suckers, that's the initial reason I started jumping on your comments.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

this is already possible. go to store, buy lots of BoE pets. sell on the AH. use gold to buy spot with raid guild to get mount. but hey, nothing in the store can be used for ingame advantage, can it?
    Run through for a mount =/= competitive advantage. What advantage are they gaining? An achievement at most.

If people have an issue with paying for the mount, what is their opinion of buying DLC like map packs, skins, and other such stuff from places like Xbox Live, the Playstation Network, Steam, etc? Just asking because places like those have been doing it for years and some before Blizzard ever did.
    Hey 1-poster with a number after your name! I can't help but feel you're a shill of some type, but I'll answer as if you're not. I hate DLCs. I simply don't buy them because I don't believe in encouraging companies to release unfinished games and then "finish" it with DLC. (MMOs are an exception, of course, because they're never finished). Games like Dragon Age simply shouldn't be played without DLC. The game is incomplete without them. So you have to buy all the DLC just to get the whole game. This is not good.

I do buy "GOTY" editions which come with all DLCs packaged with the game, as I consider these complete games. But I'll never buy DLC for a new game, as I don't want them seeing my revenue coming from the sales of incomplete games.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Pets are OK imo but mounts are something people can be "proud" of and when they sell one that more visually appealing than say.. the mount off Heroic Deathwing then that's when the problem starts for me. No, I do not have the Heroic Deathwing mount, mimirons head or even the onyxian drake to "show off".

It's just A slap in the face to people who put the time and effort into getting an awesome mount in-game to just have it upstaged by something like Heart of the Aspects. This mount should have been obtainable in-game through some pretty hard achievements*cough*gloryofthedragonsoulraider*cough* or a boss drop.
    Way to ruin awesome models to earn yourself more money blizzard.

i'm still laughing at the folks complaining about blizz selling mounts and noncombat pets for cash... and that "my monthly money should entitle me to it"... WoW's been 15 bucks a month since release... and it's stayed that way through economic turmoil, surging energy costs, inflation, etc... if people are willing to pay money for little extras in game that have no benefit outside of looking pretty and it keeps my sub price the same... i'm ALL for it....

Personally I don't much care. I bought a couple of pets, 20 Euros for a mount? Not really. They are out to make as much money as possible from WoW, fair enough - it is their franchise. In the end I guess it works for a lot of pl - more than are disgusted or quit about it or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Other companies have IMHO "crossed the line" however - selling pets that loot for you, extra large bags or transmog items (Aion, in case you wonder)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Joels View Post
    Pets are OK imo but mounts are something people can be "proud" of and when they sell one that more visually appealing than say.. the mount off Heroic Deathwing then that's when the problem starts for me. No, I do not have the Heroic Deathwing mount, mimirons head or even the onyxian drake to "show off".

It's just A slap in the face to people who put the time and effort into getting an awesome mount in-game to just have it upstaged by something like Heart of the Aspects. This mount should have been obtainable in-game through some pretty hard achievements*cough*gloryofthedragonsoulraider*cough* or a boss drop.
    Man, I would STILL much rather have Mim's head than the chromatic dragon. That thing just looks awesome.

I don't even have a frostwyrm. My server is turrible for raiding achievements.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Joels View Post

TO be fair I would argue that anyone who would care/know about those boss mounts will still e far more impressed with that than a sparkle pony. I just don't think that you get upstaged is all. Also, THEY ARE HEAR TO MAKE MONEY. They do not truly care about your opinion on there mount selling because they are making tons of cash. And hell, good for them.
    Last edited by Mcshiz; 2012-02-16 at 08:24 PM.

these mounts seem to be a bit i dont know unfinished. The guardian looked cool, but the golden dragon... a Chinese dragon with wings that has legs that cant touch the ground... I sort of like it, its nice, but not $25 nice.

Oh limited resources... ok some quick facts.

Firehawk the mount from Firelands that you can get ingame has:

15147 vertices
    5049 polygons.

The new dragon mount from c-shop has:

36600 verts,
    12200 faces.

ROFL?

this is already possible. go to store, buy lots of BoE pets. sell on the AH. use gold to buy spot with raid guild to get mount. but hey, nothing in the store can be used for ingame advantage, can it?
    Um..right. Why in that case not skip the middle man and buy gold? This seems like a very elaborate scheme you offer here. I don't see selling BoE pets or mounts from the store selling at all on my realm. But lets play with this....whatever "lots of BoE pets and mounts is". Lots to me is at least ten. So you are saying somebody spends 200 Dollars buying pets and mounts to gain a raidspot that rewards something like 900 VP and some loot. AND you call that an in-game advantage? I guess if you want to find fault with a system you are willing to go ridiculous lengths?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

The countless re-colored drakes should be in the Blizz store for like 10 bucks.

Celestial Steed, Winged Guardian, and Heart of the Aspects should be drops/achievement awards.

That's my opinion.

High Overlord I-like-chocolate-milk's Avatar
    Its sad , wow is slowly turning into one of those f2p with real money shops. Blizz putting more effort in a store mount then into a in-game boss mount .
    and 25$ ? wow
    i will restrain myself from commenting on the people that buy them
    but 25$ ?

Logged to do my daily 5min routine and all ogm is full of them . Some guy was selling them for 50k , i WOULD buy one for 50k but then people will think i bought it with real money , and i dont want that :<

I think MoP will bring items with in-game effects that u can buy for real money .

Quote Originally Posted by I-like-chocolate-milk View Post
    Its sad , wow is slowly turning into one of those f2p with real money shops. Blizz putting more effort in a store mount then into a in-game boss mount .
    and 25$ ? wow
    i will restrain myself from commenting on the people that buy them
    but 25$ ?

Logged to do my daily 5min routine and all ogm is full of them . Some guy was selling them for 50k , i WOULD buy one for 50k but then people will think i bought it with real money , and i dont want that :<

I think MoP will bring items with in-game effects that u can buy for real money .
    Why do you care of what others think about you in a video game? It doesn't matter; If you want to buy it then by all means do so. It's YOUR game

They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

But seriously, I'm fine with them doing that. Don't want it? Don't buy it. Want it? Then buy it. Don't have that much money on hand at the moment? Save up for a little bit. Want it but don't want to buy it? Maybe hint at a friend or family member that you'd like it as a gift.

It's not rocket science.

Unless it's a rocket mount.

Edit: It would have been cool if they were available as achievement mounts though, like some people have said.

But hey, Blizzard is a huge fucking company and if they can make some profit on stuff like this, then good for them.
    It's LeviOsa, not LeviosAR!

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    But hey, Blizzard is a huge fucking company and if they can make some profit on stuff like this, then good for them.
    That's why I say more power to them.

I still think currently the best game on the market is WOW. And I'm very close to think it's the very best computer game I have ever played in my life. And I have been gaming for like 30 years now.

I'm just very sad they are moving the best designers in the industry away from WOW.

Herald of the Titans Adramalech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    Oh limited resources... ok some quick facts.

Firehawk the mount from Firelands that you can get ingame has:

15147 vertices
    5049 polygons.

The new dragon mount from c-shop has:

36600 verts,
    12200 faces.

ROFL?
    And yet many people, like myself, like the firehawk more than the heart of the aspects.

If they want to make money from a mount (again), that's up to them and I don't care. They're a company, not a charity institution. My opinion? It's fine, I don't have to buy one, and it doesn't affect my experience in the slightest. People really should stop caring about what people they will most likely never interact with in any meaningful way buy or not.

Would have been cool if it was an achievement reward or some rare drop, yeah. But it isn't. Deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

That's cancer killing this industry to me.

But wow mounts are even more offending in a sense.
    People are already paying each month, why release anything, yes even skins, for money?

It makes sense in league of legends, because of the f2p model, but not in p2p.
    Jeez.

We dont have to pay to have additional content. Beside new expansion, I will be really angry if I had to pay for a new dungeon, a new class or something that add to the content of the game. But I really dont care if they sell some "esthetic only" things like mounts. They not change the content or the gameplay of the entire game and I dont have to buy them to enjoy the full game.