Thread: GW1 before GW2?

GW1 before GW2?

Looking forward to GW2, and after reading up on it they are saying it is a totaly new game compared to GW1. So with me being a GW noob.....should I even try GW1 since it is going to be different than GW2?
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Looking forward to GW2, and after reading up on it they are saying it is a totaly new game compared to GW1. So with me being a GW noob.....should I even try GW1 since it is going to be different than GW2?
    Check out GW1, and if you want to play it then play it.
    If you just want the story, read the lore.
    It's definitely not a game for everyone, and it's very likely that GW2 will be a game you want to play but you hate GW1.

Deleted
    Only if you want to experience the GW world before playing GW2. It's like playing Warcraft before WoW...it's nostalgic, there's lore, even though they are very different games.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to get into the Guildwars-World (Lore), yes.

If you try to get used to the Gameplay of Guildwars 2, hell no.

I just started two weeks ago and I like it, but it's totally different from any MMORPG I've seen before (since it's more a CO-RPG) and it is totally different to what Guildwars 2 will be.

Get the trial if you can't decide.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's indeed very different from what GW2 will be, there are still some similarities (Lore, set number of skills, the world) and I feel it's a game that's more than worth the box cost.

That said, if you don't like gw, which is totally reasonable since it's a very different genre than what most people are used to, don't think that you won't like GW2.

You also get some rewards in GW2 for completing gw1 stuff if you have the Eye of the north expansion. All of these rewards are optional though and cosmetic.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

The PvP in GW1 is quite extraordinary I would say. Even if you do nothing else that part alone is worth the money imho. First MMO I have played where PvP looks like something developers had in mind when working on the game ... not just an afterthought. Also the lore/storytelling is suprisingly well done and it is concentrated neatly in the missions you can replay, beat bonus objectives in them and do them on hard mode. Also the missions are much better designed than dungeons in standard EQ MMOs.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.