15+ Year Old Account

Low Gurthalak procs

I've been searching around and not really found anything that can give me a clearcut answer to my problem/question.

A friends 25man guild started really slacking recently and he asked if I could help out. So I just boosted the highest level Alliance character I had and started gearing. I read guides and such for Retri and I'd say I'm definately not the best Paladin out there, not even close, but I do fairly well in the 25man raids in my subpar gear.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Krowfar/simple

My question really lies with Gurthalak. I very rarely see it proc during fights. Maybe overall during a fight it'll be doing about 2/3% of my damage which seems insanely low in comparison to our Warriors sitting at about 15% of their damage.

So my question is, is there some kind of trick to getting it to proc that I'm missing? Are Warriors just better with it in general or is there some ability it interracts with poorly? (My first thought was Ancient Kings)

Any help/advice would be appriciated.

only trick with gurthalak ison ultraxion you need to stand on the edge, other than that you cant really do much to make it proc more outside of never hitting consecration when it will push back any physical damage ability, which you shouldnt be doing anyways, its just really lackluster for ret.
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

No entirely sure but I think Arms Warriors have more chances for it to proc,because it procs from their mastery hits and I heard something about Rend too. So your weapon is working as intended,but warriors ain't.

15+ Year Old Account
    That sucks. I know they "fixed" Paladins proc rate with the weapon really early on. Get so jelly when I see our Warriors hit the boss once and they get a proc almost as soon as the boss pulls :l

Thanks anyway guys o/

All I can say is I can't wait to get H Slicer haha

It all comes down to papm (procable attacks per minute). We're essentially limited by the GCD and how not all of our attacks are considered melee. You'll only hit about 40-45 abilities in a minute, some of which can't proc it (exo/holy wrath), plus auto attacks. Warriors have a separate ability on a different GCD(heroic strike) so they can hit more abilities, every one of their abilities has a chance to proc it, and their mastery procs can also proc it. Depending on inc rage gen, mastery procs, and heroic strike usage an arms warrior can have about double the papm of a ret. Then you have UH which is fairly comparable in papm but they have the added bonus that their mastery boosts the damage of the tentacle's mind flay so even with the same or fewer procs theirs will do more damage. Long story short, post "fix" we got the short end of the stick. Next expansion please ;(

For an idea of how this plays out theoretically at BiS the proc is worth about 2500 dps for ret, 3400 dps for UH, and 4400 dps for arms. Exciting isn't it.

2500 if you shove 4 leaf clovers up your ass
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

I mean it's the average of 50k iterations, RNG is RNG, I've still seen as shitty as 500 and as high as 4000 after the changes. I think generally my actual average is closer to 2k.

Yeah after they "fixed" it, the proc blows ass unless you get insane RNG. The only reason you'd take Gurthalak is for the weapon damage over a 397 3.6, otherwise the proc sucks. Heroic Sulfuras is better than normal Gurthalak atm and I wish I had either that or heroic Slicer already.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is disheartening to see such a good weapon turn pathetic for us. There is no excuse for it being that low for rets compared to warriors and death knights. Sigh. Theory crafters make me sad sometimes when I read up on stuff like this. :<
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah with ret and dk, who are more hybrid classes the proc rate can be crap since we use spells in the rotation too whereas everything a warrior does can proc it since they are considered "melee attacks" for the sake of the proc.